Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Donating old Macs...

Donating old Macs...
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 10:43 AM

I have a Beige G3 which is on its last legs. It's crashing multiple times a day, to the point where even format/reinstalls aren't helping. I use my machines for work, so I can't deal with this anymore; I ordered a G5 yesterday.

I think there's a hardware problem with the G3. That said, I know there are places which will fix up old computers and then donate them to Good Homes (schools, charities, and the like). The question is, do any of these places cater to Macs?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I have a Beige G3 which is on its last legs. It's crashing multiple times a day, to the point where even format/reinstalls aren't helping. I use my machines for work, so I can't deal with this anymore; I ordered a G5 yesterday.

I think there's a hardware problem with the G3. That said, I know there are places which will fix up old computers and then donate them to Good Homes (schools, charities, and the like). The question is, do any of these places cater to Macs?
thats a good question, you'd think you could maybe give it to a local school who uses macs and they could maybe fix it up? congrats on the G5 by the way

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 02:42 PM

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 03:09 PM

It's crashing multiple times a day, to the point where even format/reinstalls aren't helping.
I pity the kids who have to work with a Mac on its last leg. They would be better with Win 3.0.

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2004, 03:16 PM

The problem with Share the Technology is that they seem to focus on donations of working hardware. I am hoping to find a place which can repair whatever problems my machine is having, and then donate it. I know that organizations like this exist for PCs; is there any place that can do this for Macs?

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 09:12 PM

The problem with Share the Technology is that they seem to focus on donations of working hardware.
Did you check their links page I posted? I just looked at several of the links and they mention accepting Macs that are not working for refurbishing.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 09:24 PM

Well if those links don't work I'll gladly take it off your hands.
iGeek

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 11:17 PM

I teach computer science at a high school and would love a Mac to teach the kids. My school refuses to buy any Macs because our techs cannot work on them so they decided on a ban on purchacing them. Anyway I would love to get that Mac. You can Private Message me if you would like to do this.

Thanks

Steve
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Millennium  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2004, 10:36 AM

I appreciate the offers to take my old Mac off my hands. However, for anyone willing to do that, please keep in mind that the Mac isn't in the greatest condition; even with the latest updates to Jaguar (I haven't tried to install Panther on this, since it's unsupported) the machine is crashing multiple times a day. Unless you think you can get it repaired, I'm not sure how useful it'll be to you.

That's why I'm looking for places that restore old Macs. I'm hoping that it'll have a good shot at being restored then.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 01:15 PM

Congratulations on your purchase of a G5, Millennium. I hope that you will be successful with your G3. I also try to donate my old Mac's.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 01:17 PM

Schools don't want your old crap. They want new crap.
Preferably, crap that works.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2004, 03:49 PM

What speed G3? I'm still stuck on a Rev A 233 and I'd love to take it off your hands.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Schools don't want your old crap. They want new crap.
Preferably, crap that works.

Well when we can't afford to buy $3000 G5, we have to take waht we can get.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 10:54 PM

I appreciate the offers to take my old Mac off my hands. However, for anyone willing to do that, please keep in mind that the Mac isn't in the greatest condition; even with the latest updates to Jaguar (I haven't tried to install Panther on this, since it's unsupported) the machine is crashing multiple times a day. Unless you think you can get it repaired, I'm not sure how useful it'll be to you.

That's why I'm looking for places that restore old Macs. I'm hoping that it'll have a good shot at being restored then.
In case you haven't recieved it yet, I sent you a private message earlier reguarding this matter.
iGeek

Forum Links
Forum Rules