Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What is equality?

View Poll Results: Where is the equality?
Poll Options:
The system which treats everyone the same has equality, but the other system does not. 7 votes (63.64%)
The system where everyone benefits the same has equality, but the other system does not. 0 votes (0%)
Both systems have equality, and neither is particularly preferable to the other. 0 votes (0%)
Both systems have equality, but is is preferable that everyone be treated the same way. 2 votes (18.18%)
Both systems have equality, but is is preferable that everyone benefit the same. 0 votes (0%)
Neither system has equality, OR both systems have equality but neither one is desirable. 2 votes (18.18%)
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll
What is equality?
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 10:10 AM

Let us say that you have a system which treats everyone in exactly the same way, in all aspects which are relevant to the system itself. But even though people are treated exactly the same way, some people benefit from this system more than others, in whatever ways and/or amounts matter to the system. The reasons for this don't seem to be related to the system itself. Is there equality in this system?

Let us say instead that you have a system where different people are treated differently for a variety of reasons, but those differences are -at least in theory- carefully crafted so that everyone benefits exactly the same, in whatever ways and/or amount matter to the system. The reasons for the different treatment vary; some are relevant to the system and some not, but all are said to be necessart. Is there equality in this system?

If there is equality in both systems, is one more equal or fairer than the other? Why, or why not? I'm posting this because I'm trying to find out what equality means to people.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 10:26 AM

100% of the voters agree with my position, so I must be right.

For me, equality has to do with how the system treats those who comprise the system. It is not an outcomes-based equality I desire but an initial-conditions-based equality I desire.

IIn the realm of political discourse this is why I favor same-sex recognition by the state. In my view it seems the state is treating individuals who comprise the system unequally.

My same reasoning would go for supporting some minimal level (how minimal is the big question) social welfare system. I would like all American citizens to have the same basic chance to succeed, to be given the same initial opportunity to try and succeed. It seems to me that without some social welfare system in place there would be a large segment of the population that is never even given a chance to try and succeed within the system; They are simply dismissed from having the potential for success as opposed to being given the chance to succeed and being allowed to succeed or fail ontheir own merits.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

spindler
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2005, 02:56 AM

If 100 people go to lunch and they are all equally offered chocolate cake for dessert have they all been treated equally? Obviously if you are a diabetic, chocolate cake doesn't help you. Since you have a difference from the group, you need something that accommodates that difference to fulfil the function of dessert.

It's the same thing with gay marriage. You can't say to a gay man "You are being treated equally, you get to marry a woman like every other man".

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Let us say that you have a system which treats everyone in exactly the same way, in all aspects which are relevant to the system itself. But even though people are treated exactly the same way, some people benefit from this system more than others, in whatever ways and/or amounts matter to the system. The reasons for this don't seem to be related to the system itself. Is there equality in this system?

Let us say instead that you have a system where different people are treated differently for a variety of reasons, but those differences are -at least in theory- carefully crafted so that everyone benefits exactly the same, in whatever ways and/or amount matter to the system. The reasons for the different treatment vary; some are relevant to the system and some not, but all are said to be necessart. Is there equality in this system?

If there is equality in both systems, is one more equal or fairer than the other? Why, or why not? I'm posting this because I'm trying to find out what equality means to people.
Equality to me means equal access to the same resources. How people use those resources, how they access it of course is where peoples free will or lack of it plays in a part in it seeming unequal.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Railroader
Banned
Dec 26, 2005, 08:44 AM

Equality = the same opportunities are offered.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2005, 09:00 AM

I said resources cuz I was to lazy to try and spell opportunities but thats basically what I ment

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2005, 09:00 AM

I said resources cuz I was to lazy to try and spell opportunities but thats basically what I ment

Forum Links
Forum Rules