Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBPs and FW3200

MBPs and FW3200
w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 11:50 AM

What are the chances that the new MacBook Pro will have support for the new FireWire standard (3.2 Gbps)?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 12:22 PM

Not going to happen with the coming refresh. If at all.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2008, 01:16 PM

Yeah, I'd say it's highly unlikely. Apple has historically been very slow to adopt improvements in Firewire.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yeah, I'd say it's highly unlikely. Apple has historically been very slow to adopt improvements in Firewire.
really? as far as i know, they're the only ones to even use FW800 in any kind of mainstream way.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 03:07 PM

Not at all mainstream. Apple considered it a "pro" feature. And thanks to that stupid approach they basically killed it on PCs.

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 03:59 PM

The iMacs have FW800, and that's the consumer desktop. Anyway, if Apple is "slow" to adopt Firewire, then what are PC manufacturers? glacial?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2008, 04:23 PM

If Apple were a fast adopter of its own pet technology, Firewire 800 would be on every Mac by now.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by w8ing4intelmacs View Post
Anyway, if Apple is "slow" to adopt Firewire, then what are PC manufacturers? glacial?
Practical - there's nearly zero demand for it outside the pro audio/video market; for the few users who want it, they can buy PCIe/EC cards.

If you want 3Gb/s, use eSATA; if you want 3Gb/s for something other than disk, what are you doing?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by w8ing4intelmacs View Post
The iMacs have FW800, and that's the consumer desktop.
Apple clealy positioned them as the prosumer desktops. FW800 used to be only on the very top end iMac. And a long time before it wasn't there at all actually. Similarly they put it on the MBP, but not on the MB. And the mini still lacks it which is especially bad, because it has neither PCIe slots nor an EC slot to add the feature later.

Anyway, if Apple is "slow" to adopt Firewire, then what are PC manufacturers? glacial?
The point is that Apple had to force this technology onto the market against competitors. USB is slower and host-bound, but it's ubiquitous. eSATA (in its current variant) doesn't offer bus power and is restricted to short cable lengths, but it is fast and inexpensive plus for disks you don't need a bridge. There were and still are good reasons to use FW800 over other technologies, but Apple has successfully prevented it from being broadly adopted for too long now. USB3 will offer better speeds than USB2, and eSATA will finally (duh, that took long enough) get power. Had Apple pushed FW800 onto the market aggressively (they could have done that already 5 years ago!) rather than try and pitch it as some kind of pro thing it might have had a chance. The way they played it, it will disappear. I can pretty much guarantee you that.

If you're interested in the topic, Jim Wiebe (from Wiebetech) wrote a nice paper on the FW evolution (there's a follow-up here). He outlines pretty much what Apple did wrong and what the consequences will be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules