Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Contacts not syncing: MB Air to iPhone

Contacts not syncing: MB Air to iPhone
Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2016, 11:53 AM

I entered a new contact on my MB Air (OSX 10.9.5) 2 weeks ago, fully expecting it to appear on my iPhone 5 (9.0.2), but so far nothing.

iCloud is set up, I've backed the phone up to my computer, poked & prodded, but still the new contact does not show up on my phone.

Any ideas about what's going on, & what to do to make it work?

Thanks.

hab
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2016, 04:05 PM

Log into your account at iCloud.com and see if the contact update is in the cloud. If not, the problem is on the MB Air side. If the change is in the cloud, the problem is your phone. If the later, try logging off iCloud (Settings>icloud>Sign out) and sign back in.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2016, 06:28 PM

Thanks, hab. I finally got that to work - the contact showed up on my phone - but then, on the phone, I added a phone number to that contact, and it hasn't showed up in Contacts on the MB Air or in iCloud.com. (Just checked again - nope.) This despite connecting the phone to the MB Air, and forcing a sync, and hitting the Refresh Contacts button in iCloud.

Maddening

Rumor
Sep 3, 2016, 03:42 PM

I'm having the same issue with a new iMac. It's synced to iCloud but has an outdated contact list. A manual sync didn't fix it either.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2016, 09:34 AM

Aah iCloud sync. So very full of promises, so very poor at delivering.

I have a client with 200Mps up and down fibre. We started sending their (240GB) photo's library to iCloud. They went on holiday for three weeks, leaving the iMac running, came back, not finished syncing.

Apple support suggests they should allow around 90 days to sync a library of that size.

Which makes iCloud photo library super useful.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2016, 08:20 PM

That's why I never even considered keeping large data (lots of documents, photos, etc.) in iCloud. It takes long enough for Time Machine to do its thing... If I felt I "needed" my photos available somewhere other than where I collect them, I'd do some sort of networkable and externally available server gadget/app.

I like the ideas behind iCloud, but until we all have multi-gigabit fiber up every gadget's wazoo, it's not going to be able to deliver on those ideas very well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2016, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I like the ideas behind iCloud, but until we all have multi-gigabit fiber up every gadget's wazoo, it's not going to be able to deliver on those ideas very well.
It's not the connection. This is firmly in the Apple's shitty serverside implementation camp
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2016, 08:00 PM

Like how my wife can get an iMessage I sent before leaving work 10 minutes after I get home? Or is there something else crappy serverside?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Rumor
Sep 12, 2016, 11:16 PM

I'm just frustrated that my phone contacts do not want to sync properly with my iMac. I have no idea which file it is using but it is several months old. Tried disconnecting, and reconnecting. Tried turning it off from my phone and back on. Turning off iCloud sync on my phone to manually sync contacts didn't work either.

I have a feeling my Macbook Pro has something to do with the sync being out of whack, but it isn't here with me for me to check.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2016, 07:43 PM

Not just contacts - calendar events also don't always sync. I entered an event on my MBA 10 days ago, still hasn't shown up on my phone. It took a couple of days to get to iCloud, but it still hasn't made the leap to my phone.

This is total BS!

Forum Links
Forum Rules