Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Remember the days before iTunes?

Remember the days before iTunes? (Page 2)
hayesk
Nov 19, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Oh boy, I just remembered ripping my first CD. It was a DOS program, and you had to know if your CD-ROM drive supported DAE or something. It was horrible.
Digital Audio Extraction. Basically, could the drive read an audio CD and send the bits over the bus instead of over the audio cable. Pretty much all drives supported it, but many of the drivers did not.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Huge mistakes were made from a business perspective, and instead of admitting ththat these were indeed mistakes, they try to cover their failings by reiterating that they really didn't want to go bigtime anyway. It sounds extremely disengenuous.
Yeah, Steve jobs wanted to meet with them and they cancelled so they wouldn't piss of AOL????

Absolutely no sense.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Yeah, Steve jobs wanted to meet with them and they cancelled so they wouldn't piss of AOL????

Absolutely no sense.
Seems to me they were being ethical about it. Panic was already in talks with AOL so they didn't want to totally screw AOL over by making some, potentially, shady deal with Apple that AOL would inherit if they were to buy Panic. Which is why it makes sense that Panic would want AOL present at a meeting with Apple. Now, if it were me and AOL couldn't make it to said meeting, I would have told AOL, "Hey, I'm going to meet with Apple, all right? All right." And now I'd be iTunes

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Seems to me they were being ethical about it. Panic was already in talks with AOL so they didn't want to totally screw AOL over by making some, potentially, shady deal with Apple that AOL would inherit if they were to buy Panic. Which is why it makes sense that Panic would want AOL present at a meeting with Apple. Now, if it were me and AOL couldn't make it to said meeting, I would have told AOL, "Hey, I'm going to meet with Apple, all right? All right." And now I'd be iTunes
Still, just because they are meeting with Apple doesn't mean they have to sign a contract the same day.

I can guess why they really wanted to do it. They wanted to show up with AOL to make it look like they are very wanted and have Apple and AOL get into some bidding war.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
The MP3s sounded horrible but they played nonetheless
Where's the barf smiley when I need one?
Originally posted by Big Mac:
Was no one else using MacAMP/MacCast?
Yep, that was the first MP3 player I used on my Power Tower. It was a horribly crashy POS and when it changed to MacAst, it stopped supporting my favourite skin, so I gave up on it. Silly reason, I know, but there ya go.

At one point I ported that favourite skin to SoundJam, but the effect was lost because you couldn't skin the playlist window! Oh well. I have a screenshot lying around, it's at home somewhere.

EDIT: here it is in its original glory!

( Last edited by GoGoReggieXPowars; Nov 19, 2004 at 02:40 PM. )

hayesk
Nov 19, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Where's the barf smiley when I need one?

EDIT: here it is in its original glory!
That illustrates why I hate Mac/WinAMP - looks nice, but functions horribly. Just how small do we have to make those buttons?

Yeah, you can skin it, but try finding a decent skin.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
That illustrates why I hate Mac/WinAMP - looks nice, but functions horribly. Just how small do we have to make those buttons?

Yeah, you can skin it, but try finding a decent skin.
I just posted a decent skin 99% of the time I use keyboard shortcuts anyway, so I never really noticed them, only button I really hit was the randomize one on the playlist window.

hayesk
Nov 19, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
I just posted a decent skin 99% of the time I use keyboard shortcuts anyway, so I never really noticed them, only button I really hit was the randomize one on the playlist window.
Tiny buttons = bad skin.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2004, 05:01 PM

I also remember the days before iTunes. I also used SoundJam.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules