Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for an e-mail archiver

Looking for an e-mail archiver
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2005, 10:40 AM

My back e-mail archive has gotten so large that it's starting to slow down my e-mail client. I have reasons for wanting to keep the stuff, so I'm looking into options for archiving the e-mail outside my client.

Here's what I absolutely need; I can't even consider any program which does not provide the following:
  • I need something which can import e-mail in mbox format.
  • I need something which stores its own data on my machine (i.e. no remote hosting).
  • I need to be able to search based on headers, sender and recipient fields, and e-mail text.
This is what I'd like in such a program, but could live without if the need arose:
  • Export to mbox format (i.e. I want to be able to get my data out again).
  • Saved queries/searches. I do not need folders.
  • Cross-platform capability; I have several accounts that I'd like to archive separately, and one of them will need to be archived on a PC.
Zoe looked promising, and I still keep give it another glance every so often, but I haven't been able to get it to work only as an archive. It seems to insist on acting as a client or proxy in addition to an archive, and that's not what I want. I was never able to get it to import my mail properly anyway.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? If Zoe can be made to work the way I need then that's fine, but I need documentation on how to do that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

CatOne
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 10:48 AM

How about MailSteward?

It's been around a while.

http://www.mailsteward.com/

Never tried it -- I only have about 2 GB in Mail.app so it hasn't slowed down on me yet. Plus with Spotlight coming, I want the text in there

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by CatOne:
How about MailSteward?

It's been around a while.

http://www.mailsteward.com/

Never tried it -- I only have about 2 GB in Mail.app so it hasn't slowed down on me yet. Plus with Spotlight coming, I want the text in there

has anyone tried this? looks interesting!

Forum Links
Forum Rules