Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Parental controls for Apple TV

Parental controls for Apple TV
eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2007, 11:30 PM

There is far more content on my hardrive then I could ever sync with the Apple TV so I simply stream content. The issue is that there are certain videos with content that should not be accessible from the Apple TV. At the same time, I would like two other computers to be able to see content that should not be accessible on the Apple TV.

Is there a way to manage what content is viewed from different machines?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 11:24 AM

As it stands now, the only thing you could really do is establish a separate iTunes library for the content that you don't want accessible on your Apple TV. The easiest way to do this is to launch iTunes while holding down the Option key. It will present you with this ....

1. Create a new iTunes Library.

2. Hold down the option key whenever you want to launch iTunes and switch libraries.

3. I'm not sure if the Apple TV links to a specific iTunes library or if it simply links to the library that iTunes most recently opened on the machine. (You'll have to try this out yourself since I don't have an Apple TV yet.)

This ought to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 8, 2014 at 07:17 PM. )

eatinwokout  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2007, 12:25 PM

Looks like it's still associate with the same iTunes. Apple really should implement parental controls. There has to be something implemented that makes it easier for users to manage their libraries without having to move content out of the iTunes library because specific viewers aren't supposed to see the content on the TV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules