Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Cingular offering $150 discount on iPhone

Cingular offering $150 discount on iPhone
buymeaniphone
Banned
Mar 8, 2007, 09:59 AM

Looks like Cingular might be marking down the price of the iPhone after all. This "glitch" showed up on this guys receipt when he traded in his Sprint BlackBerry 8703e for a Cingular BlackBerry Pearl. It's either a good fake or a pleasant surprise. check out the whole story here

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 11:38 AM

it does say iPhone on that receipt -I couldn't figure it out at first. (thought it was 1phone)

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2007, 09:26 PM

I'm not sure why so many people thought the receipt said 1Phone. Entertaining to actually see people reason that the printer type was known to make i's look like 1's.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2007, 05:50 PM

Of course it's in Redmond
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
Of course it's in Redmond
Not to mention, AT&T Wireless Services was based in Redmond, WA.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2007, 07:51 PM

If this is true, and not just some typo or weird glitch, that would make a whole hell of a lot of people make the decision to get an iPhone. I personally know about 8 people who say that if the iPhone were $100 or so less they would get one in a heartbeat. I think it would be in Apple's and AT&T's best interests to offer discounts.

2 more months and we'll find out! Woo!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2007, 11:51 PM

The main reason I think this probably won't pan out is that if they knew they were going to be giving a $150 discount, there's no reason why they wouldn't have said so. It would have saved them a lot of criticism and initial bad press.

It is possible that the "true" price of the iPhone is actually $649 and $749, and this "discount" brings them into line with the announced prices.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
The main reason I think this probably won't pan out is that if they knew they were going to be giving a $150 discount, there's no reason why they wouldn't have said so. It would have saved them a lot of criticism and initial bad press.

It is possible that the "true" price of the iPhone is actually $649 and $749, and this "discount" brings them into line with the announced prices.
That would definitely make sense based on the way cell phone companies market phones.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2007, 12:21 PM

This just looks like the discount for locking into a multi-year contract. The price of the iPhone has always been stated as it's price with a contract.

It's not surprising that there would be a "without contract" price, and then a discount offered (ie: $150) as incentive when signing a contract. I don't think what we're seeing on that receipt represents any additional discounts on top of the contract discount.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 02:40 PM

Its also possible that Apple and AT&T decided not to give discounts for signing up, but then after hearing feedback from consumers they changed their minds and will surprise people when its released. One of the benefits of introducing this thing so early was that they can gauge consumer reaction to the specs and pricing, see what competitors do, and the adjust accordingly.

My hope is that Apple has some surprises in store for us when the iPhone is finally released. Maybe more features, more software, better pricing scheme, etc. Any one of which would raise the value of the iPhone even more. But then again, its just hope, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Apple changed or added nothing and released exactly what the introduced.

Rooskibar03
Apr 12, 2007, 03:37 PM

eXchange support would be a nice addition.

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2007, 05:19 PM

I'm concerned about the 3G situation. What if I buy one in June and then they release a fast iPhone in September?! I'd have to wait another year and 9 months to have my contract expire?! That would royally suck :/
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Forum Links
Forum Rules