Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where the heck are people getting 10.2?

Where the heck are people getting 10.2?
CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2002, 01:28 AM

Okay, I know I must be out of the loop on this one, so be it --but where the heck is everyone getting OSX 10.2?

I was at our new Apple store today (The Grove in LA) and l'm thinking, what the heck, I'll pick up a copy of 10.2 if they have it to go with my new Contour ShuttlePro(luv it!) -silly me, 10.2's not out til August 24th. (Thought so, but gee, I sure have seen a lot of people talking about using it, so I figured maybe it was out).

Where the heck is everyone getting 10.2 to be yacking on MacNN message boards about it?!

Are these Hotline versions? Limewire? (In which case I'm not interested, I want to buy the real deal.)

Are the people talking about using Jaguar all beta testers or something?

Is there some secret (legit) way to get 10.2 that I don't know about? Some place where one can order it that's shipping now? If so, is it the finished version or some pre-release crap that will have to be updated after Aug 24th?

Basically... what's th' dealieo!?!

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:

Where the heck is everyone getting 10.2 to be yacking on MacNN message boards about it?!

Are these Hotline versions? Limewire? (In which case I'm not interested, I want to buy the real deal.)

Are the people talking about using Jaguar all beta testers or something?
I would say the majority of people are pirates and have obtained a copy through "friends" (Carracho, Hotline, etc). There are a few (like me) that obtained it legally through a developer account.

The 24th is less than two weeks away. Don't be a pirate; just wait.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2002, 02:41 AM

First rule of jaguar... you will not talk about where you got jaguar.

Second rule of jaguar... you will not talk about where you got jaguar.

PS: 400 posts :D
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2002, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
Is there some secret (legit) way to get 10.2 that I don't know about? Some place where one can order it that's shipping now? If so, is it the finished version or some pre-release crap that will have to be updated after Aug 24th?
No. All resellers are under an embargo so that it is not sold until the 24th. Most of them can be fined a heavy amount if it is sold before the release.

However many Apple Retail Stores are displaying 10.2 for people to test drive.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2002, 03:51 AM

I downloaded my copy from a certian IRC channel. I'm evil like that.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 04:11 AM

[edited out]

Seems like everyone forgets about usenet

It's faster then hotline or carracho anyday!

[xeo: I've edited out the servers that were listed here]

EDIT:

Due to the 10 PM's I'm getting per day, I'll clarify....

1) No, I won't post the exact news group servers here again (big mistake the first time)

2) Usenet - Everything you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask.

3) Get Thoth

4) Download a newsgroup list from your ISP's news server.

5) Look for Mac specific groups.

Hopefully that's clear enough, yet won't be edited.

Forgot to add: I don't condone what I posted above, I just happened to see Jagwire on Usenet. I never downloaded it, I've never tried it, and I've actually pre-ordered the full version. Besides, it's a BETA, not even a final product.
( Last edited by (s)macintosh; Aug 13, 2002 at 05:24 PM. )

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2002, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by (s)macintosh:

Seems like everyone forgets about usenet

It's faster then hotline or carracho anyday!
*installs Office* Thanks for the advice
( Last edited by gorgonzola; Aug 12, 2002 at 09:42 AM. )

Jamie
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2002, 05:11 AM

Bad bad bad bad bad people

J

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2002, 09:30 AM

If we divulged our sources, we'd be pissin in our own wattering hole... sorry, you gotta figure out how to leach on your own.

pal05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2002, 10:33 AM

Well but i promise that everyone wo get the dev builds are buy a copy of jaguar on 24. Well i do it so - i found a nice bundle for German Users under gravis.de Jaguar + Bluetooth USB Adapter for 10 Euro more then the normal Jaguar copy. nice offer!

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by someone_else:

I would say the majority of people are pirates and have obtained a copy through "friends" (Carracho, Hotline, etc). There are a few (like me) that obtained it legally through a developer account.

The 24th is less than two weeks away. Don't be a pirate; just wait.

I'm a student developer and I would like to try and get some of my stuff tested (and possible fixed) on Jaguar before it is available to everyone. Apple on the other hand disagrees. They tell us nothing about if/when they will send it. The best way of getting it I can think of is through a certain IRC channel mentioned earlier on this forum... Unfortunately I have a modem and a 2 hour connect limit (thanks to living in the UK.) Broadband, other than satellite, is not available in my area. It would however be possible to use a download manager to get Jaguar from a website or ftp address. I've done bigger downloads before...

beb
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 03:22 PM

Beats me, but I'd love to get it before the 24th.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Fallout:

*installs Office* Thanks for the advice
bad bad bad
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2002, 04:03 PM

This thread will be locked, just like the last one.

I'm getting it from Apple. I'm an ADC member.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by BoarderX:

No. All resellers are under an embargo so that it is not sold until the 24th. Most of them can be fined a heavy amount if it is sold before the release.

However many Apple Retail Stores are displaying 10.2 for people to test drive.
And apparently Apple is now shipping ibooks with retail OS X included LOL. Some embargo!!!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2002, 09:44 PM

I know some of you are hard up for money (students etc.) and are down with the Hotline and Carracho... I have been known to download a thing or two from time to time, but to pirate an OS, that is just something I wouldn't do...

I would bet that you will see many of the people that downloaded 10.2 (115) to buying the OS later on or around the 24th...

Like many have said before... wait until the 24th... I'm buying more RAM the same day so look out...

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 11:25 AM

I've often wondered not where, but why someone would want to pirate OS X, especially the betas. Not for anything, but the GMs since 10.0 themselves could stand for some considerable improvement in areas such as speed and features. So why someone would even want a beta, where such problems would be even more exaggerated, is beyond me. But that's just me. I don't mean for that to sound as a flame so apologies in advance if it does.

Sure, I'm as anxious as everyone else to get my grubby little paws in on it. In fact, I intend to tear the package open like a four-year old on Christmas and cursing the length of time reported by the installer, regardless of what it is. And staying up late playing with my new toy.

But I'd rather wait for the finished product than get a beta, and I'm far too paranoid to trust anything on Hotline, Carracho, or whatever such completely unknown source.

CRASH HARDDRIVE  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2002, 12:26 PM

Ahh, I should have known.

Ah well, I'll wait for the real deal on the 24th.

I don't know what it is, (not some ridiculous undying loyalty to Apple or anything) but I have never pirated MacOS and consider it taboo to do so. It seems to me that even in the early days of Hotline and such (I don't bother with it anymore, *any* legit software I want I can get through work by merely requesting it ) even the hardcore pirate servers there left Apple software alone at least until after it was released. I remember people having self -imposed bans on trading pre-release OS 8, 8.5, OS 9, etc. No scraps of honor, even among thieves anymore I guess!

And by the way, for those of you who think Hotline, Carracho, usenet binaries, Limewire, Gnucleus, Kazaa, or any of that stuff is anything 'secret' or all that clever to find things with, think again.

Hey I just choose to buy at least the OS. Pirating is one thing- no judgment call here really- just its the no sense of discretion about it that's another thing.

Seems to me like just bad form and poor taste to be here crowing about pirateded installs of Jaguar if you're not a developer or beta tester.

Forum Links
Forum Rules