Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > One Question

One Question
babyuknowit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 01:53 AM

I bought the Powerbook G4 with a 128MB Video Card, 1GB RAM, 1.5 GHZ with the upgraded 80GB 5400 RPM HD.

My question is..will I be able to run all the new games that are coming out? How well will they run with my setup.

Thanks.
( Last edited by babyuknowit; Aug 18, 2004 at 02:53 PM. )

djlotek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 06:34 AM

I have the same configuration as yourself. I have only bought Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield 1942. All run suprisingly nicely. Much more than I expected out of laptop video. I think you will be impressed.

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by babyuknowit:
I bought the Powerbook G4 128MB, 1GB RAM, 1.5 with the upgraded 80GB 5400 RPM HD.

My question is..will I be able to run all the new games that are coming out? How well will they run with my setup.

Thanks.
I just wouldn't expect superior performance in Mac DOOM 3 when it comes out.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by manero:
I just wouldn't expect superior performance in Mac DOOM 3 when it comes out.
Then again, even on the x86 side you'd have a hard time finding a laptop that can truly shine with Doom 3. You're limited more by the mobile graphics chipset than anything else.

With a top-spec 15" PowerBook, though, you'll at least be able to play most current games at a decent speed. I wouldn't use it as a substitute for a desktop gaming rig... but that you can play Call of Duty or Halo at a good speed is nice by itself!
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

babyuknowit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 02:51 PM

I kind of figured laptops in general were limited compared to dekstops. Another weird question i'd like to ask, better yet compare. How do my specs hold up against a Alienware laptop? Do you think mine would run Half Life 2? I mean hell I was just playing Call Of Duty very nicley on a Gateway 2.4 GHZ with 240 MB Ram and a 64 MB card.....i can only imagine how my powerbook will run it.

manero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by babyuknowit:
Do you think mine would run Half Life 2? I mean hell I was just playing Call Of Duty very nicley on a Gateway 2.4 GHZ with 240 MB Ram and a 64 MB card.....i can only imagine how my powerbook will run it.
It won't run it, considering HL2 isn't coming out on the Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules