Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Digital Camera

Digital Camera
SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 01:39 AM

So I want Digital Camera and I am willing to dish out 3 to 4 hundred. What are my options? Do you guys like the powershot sd 20? I want 5 megapixels.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 10:27 AM

Not sure of the price, but I'd check out Canon's PowerShot S70. I have the S50 and it's great.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 10:31 AM

Canon Powershot S400 or S500. GREAT little cameras. You can get one for ~$400 and it's 5MP.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 12:17 AM

you may be able to find a canon a95 for about $400 or an s50 for $450. the a95 is for the inexperienced photographer (decent manual modes and lots of scene modes), ability to add filters, tele and wide angle lens. modestly compact. the s50, s60, or s70 are relatively compact cameras, fantastic quality shots. the s60 and s70 are 28mm lens so you get a nice wide angle built into the camera. the s60 and s70 can have lenses and filters added, sport a more stylish design than the powershot a-series. i love my s50 and will likely upgrade into a s70 or g6 soon.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 01:45 AM

are you sure you need 5mp? If four is enough (I think it would be ... who prints greater than 8x10?!?) grab the s410 ... it seems to have many great reviews. the sd20's no optical zoom may drive you nuts after a while ...

btw .. dont neglect nikon .. they earned my respect with my first digital camera ... canon may have lots of fan boys but nikon has some damn good stuff. I'm not a Nikon fanboy .. I currently own a Canon .. but when I first got my Nikon .. I wasnt expecting much as I originally wanted a Canon .. the Nikon was far better than I expected, and in some ways .. it's better than my current Canon.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 03:14 AM

Look at Nikon's Coolpix 5200. I have used both the Canon S500 and the Coolpix 5200, and would give the slight edge to the Nikon in terms of photo quality (I prefer more "natural" colors straight out of the camera). Frankly, I was surprised how good the results were from a camera of this class. Ergonomically, the Nikon is also better -- at least I remember it feeling better in my hand. What I liked about the Canon is its use of compact flash cards, as I already have a few CF cards (the Nikon uses smart digital). Both are very compact and similarly sized, but the Canon felt heavier, a bit more solid.

Have a look at both. You should not be disappointed by either one.
I, ASIMO.

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 10:31 PM

Pentax Optio S4i

Look no further. Mine is two generations older than the current one and I LOVE it. Everey feature under the sun, and so small and lightweight. People ask "is that really a camera?" Not only that--it's a no-compromise camera!

It's not quite 5 MP but it's plenty for great-looking printouts--this isn't one of those little toys. It has the features of a BIG camera packed into the size of a business card! Look at the specs--it actually surpasses a lot of bigger cameras. It has video recording, voice memo recording, optical zoom, recharging stand included, manual and auto controls, flash with timer, 3D stereo pictures, slideshows on TV, color LCD, built-in speaker, available wireless remote, customizable UI, etc. etc. etc....

And physical size is THE most important thing in a camera I think. Because if I don't have my camera WITH me, it's useless!

So what's the catch? A bigger camera is a little cheaper, and may have a little higher-end optics. But this one is still within your budget and does have outstanding image quality in my book.

(Older versions: Optio S--mine--and Optio S4. All get great reviews but the latest S4i is even better. Some reviews recommend buying a second battery--but I've never run out personally.)

Depends on your needs of course. Higher end cameras that just can't BE compact do have their uses.
nagromme

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 12:00 AM

I went with canon s500, ill let you guys know what I think of it.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 5, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
I went with canon s500, ill let you guys know what I think of it.
Congrats! The PowerShot S400 & S500 are still really great cameras, even by todays standards. They lack a few key features, such as the benefits of the digic II processor, scene modes, and a large display. Nonetheless, you should be very happy with your purchase. Both of the above models, offer some of the best overall image quality in their class.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 10:39 AM

Thanks Noah, this will be my first digital camera. I cant wait for it to arrive, should come monday.

SamuraiDL  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 08:35 PM

Right on, came today, love it so far, got a lot of trial and error ahead of me, but so far I have been able to take and upload pics, all within 10 minutes of unpacking the camera.

Forum Links
Forum Rules