Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Localtalk printer to new mac?

Localtalk printer to new mac?
pjkim
Jul 29, 2001, 11:38 PM

I am thinking about getting a used Laserwriter. Problem is that they have localtalk and sometimes centronics interfaces. What is the best and least expensive ways of connecing these printers to newer macs?

Localtalk to ethernet/USB converters? USB to centronics adapters? Get a laserwriter with ethernet?

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by pjkim:
<STRONG>I am thinking about getting a used Laserwriter. Problem is that they have localtalk and sometimes centronics interfaces. What is the best and least expensive ways of connecing these printers to newer macs?

Localtalk to ethernet/USB converters? USB to centronics adapters? Get a laserwriter with ethernet?</STRONG>
LaserWriter w/ ethernet, hands down.

Euphrates
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 10:08 AM

Word to that. A laserwriter with Ethernet is by far the best decision.

pjkim  (op)
Jul 30, 2001, 10:21 AM

Another consideration is that I use a DSL modem hooked up to my ethernet port. Will I need to get a DSL router in order to use DSL and an ethernet printer? That would unfortately add about $150 to the total cost.

I have a spare ethernet PCI card (10/100 base T). Could I hook up just the Laserwriter to the card?

Will using a serial Laserwriter hooked up to a USB-serial adapter be easier?

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by pjkim:
<STRONG>Another consideration is that I use a DSL modem hooked up to my ethernet port. Will I need to get a DSL router in order to use DSL and an ethernet printer? That would unfortately add about $150 to the total cost.

I have a spare ethernet PCI card (10/100 base T). Could I hook up just the Laserwriter to the card?

Will using a serial Laserwriter hooked up to a USB-serial adapter be easier?</STRONG>
Oooh. That's different then. You'd probably have to go with the DSL router if you still wanted to run ethernet...

In that case, I'd go with the USB --&gt; Serial Adapter. alternatively you could buy one of the cards that replaces your internal modem with a standard din-8 serial port, thus keeping the printer off your USB chain.

<kbata>
Aug 2, 2001, 05:28 PM

If you want to get a Laser Writer with a localtalk interface you should get a localtalk/ethernet adapter. You can pick one up on ebay for around 40.00. Asante makes a nice one. If you also want to use your cable modem all you need is a 10/100 hub. You only need a router if you plan on connecting more than one computer to the internet at one time.
This setup also works with OS X both in native and Classic mode.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by &lt;kbata&gt;:
<STRONG> If you also want to use your cable modem all you need is a 10/100 hub. You only need a router if you plan on connecting more than one computer to the internet at one time.</STRONG>
Ach you're right. My mind blanked for a second. Anyway, if he gets a hub, it needs to have an uplink port in order to work, correct?

Forum Links
Forum Rules