Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mouse Ball

Mouse Ball
xyber233
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 07:19 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy extra ones? My dad works at a high school and stupid kids keep stealing them. Thanx.

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>Does anyone know where I can buy extra ones? My dad works at a high school and stupid kids keep stealing them. Thanx.</STRONG>
Dude... your dad's students keep stealing his balls

My advice is to call the local authorized Apple service center. After the tech stops laughing, remind him that you really do need the mouse balls. Also, the puck and many of the old ADB II mice could have their undersides locked to prevent people from stealing the balls. Basicaly pop the retaining ring, orient the tab underneath 180 degrees from where it started, and lock it into place. (I think that's write... I've got a pro mouse so i can't check.)

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2001, 10:48 PM

The kids are pretty stupid but I think they figured out how to unlock the mice I locked .

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>The kids are pretty stupid but I think they figured out how to unlock the mice I locked .</STRONG>
How many mice are we talking, here? Are they all USB mice? If so, and enough people keep taking the balls, it might be in the school's financial interest to simply buy optical mice.

xyber233  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2001, 10:57 AM

Well, you see, the rest of the school is now all compaqs . My dad refuses to give up the macs so I doubt they will provide optical mice.

<jn>
Aug 9, 2001, 03:40 PM

at my college, they had the same problem with people stealing the balls. They instituted a sign-in/out policy with the balls where you had to check with the teacher or lab assistant, who'd give you a ball, and then you had to return it upon leaving the classroom. So if you stole it, they had your name and all..

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2001, 01:35 AM

JN, that's militant!

Well, that might be an idea to implement in the classroom.

With optical mice from Logitech (better than M$ anyway) reaching record-low prices of $20, I think it would be a viable investment to get optical mice somewhere along the line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules