Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 16:10 aspect ratio?

16:10 aspect ratio?
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2001, 01:29 PM

Hi

A couple of weeks ago i had a chance to take a look a one of Sony`s 24"widescreen CRT`s. Outstanding monitor, really looked wonderful, but how about the 16:10 aspect ratio. I can`t seem to find anything that matches this in my current resolution menu ( i got a RADEON card ). So what would i need to do to get this?

Thanks.
Tom

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2001, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi

A couple of weeks ago i had a chance to take a look a one of Sony`s 24"widescreen CRT`s. Outstanding monitor, really looked wonderful, but how about the 16:10 aspect ratio. I can`t seem to find anything that matches this in my current resolution menu ( i got a RADEON card ). So what would i need to do to get this?

Thanks.
Tom</STRONG>
That would be an 8:5 aspect ratio. It's not common so you're probably not going to see it anyway.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2001, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi

A couple of weeks ago i had a chance to take a look a one of Sony`s 24"widescreen CRT`s. Outstanding monitor, really looked wonderful, but how about the 16:10 aspect ratio. I can`t seem to find anything that matches this in my current resolution menu ( i got a RADEON card ). So what would i need to do to get this?</STRONG>
Modern video cards and displays work together to allow the card to determine what resolutions the display is capable of. Your current display apparently can't do anything in 8:5

Get the specs on the monitor you're looking at; call ATi or email their sales department; and ask them whether or not the Radeon can drive the monitor in question at its preferred resolution.

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Herr Newton ]

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2001, 06:58 AM

Thanks for replying guys

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules