Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread

Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread (Page 4)
andi*pandi
Feb 14, 2017, 04:32 PM

not enough drinking in drinking thread. For the investigation into who is leaking all this information about his administration's treason, for the top-notch security at Mar-a-lago, for whatever has happened in the last 10 minutes that I don't know about yet:

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Right, but what did the Pope have to say about the election? Any relevant homilies?
It was in one of his Wednesday audiences. He said suck it up, Trump won, get over it.
Actually:
You must have missed the post. He said "we must wait and see"
45/47

OreoCookie
Feb 14, 2017, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
He still would have lost.
Are you really still beating this dead horse that died 16 years ago? Please don't sidestep the issue we discuss here.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2017, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post

I still don't get “be careful what you wish for” here, why do you think President Ryan or President Rubio would be a scarier proposition than Trump? Trump actively erodes customs that are necessary for the running of and the people's faith in democracy, and he fundamentally changes the GOP in the process from a party of conservatives to a party of nationalists. Unlike Trump I don't think Ryan and Rubio present a threat to the democratic system, they are regular politicians. Nor I wouldn't worry that Ryan conducts classified briefings in public or let strangers paint a bullseye on the guy carrying the nuclear football. What is clear about Ryan and the GOP in Congress, though, is that they passed the reins to Trump.
Ryan and Rubio would be attacked over their being "backwards Catholics" and Papal puppets. Don't forget, Bannon and Conway are Catholic.
https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/4364
Ken Auletta's latest piece on Murdoch in the New Yorker starts off with the aside that both Murdoch and Robert Thompson, managing editor of the WSJ, are raising their kids Catholic. Friggin' Murdoch baptized his kids in Jordan where John the Baptist baptized Jesus. Many of the most powerful elements of the conservative movement are all Catholic (many converts) from the SC and think tanks to the media and social groups. It's an amazing bastardization of the faith. They must be attracted to the systematic thought and severely backwards gender relations and must be totally unaware of Christian democracy.
Excellent point. They can throw around "Thomistic" thought and "subsidiarity" and sound sophisticated because no one knows what the hell they're talking about.
I imagine they think it is the most socially acceptable politically conservative religion. Their rich friends wouldn't understand if they became evangelicals.
45/47

OreoCookie
Feb 14, 2017, 09:57 PM

Ryan and Rubio would be attacked over their being "backwards Catholics" and Papal puppets. Don't forget, Bannon and Conway are Catholic.
You are really trying hard to look for imagined foes here. None of this is relevant.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2017, 12:19 AM

You are really trying hard to look for imagined foes here. None of this is relevant.
Of course it completely relevant. Liberals hate all Catholics, which I why we they have so demonised Kennedy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Of course it completely relevant. Liberals hate all Catholics, which I why we they have so demonised Kennedy.
Not to mention on of the strongest religious bases Democrats have.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2017, 12:06 PM

Have asked the Little Sister of the Poor or EWTN?
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Just orthodox one. Liberal love the heterodox.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Not to mention on of the strongest religious bases Democrats have.
They were. That is changing as the JP II/B XVI generation matures

Someone at the Washington Post is worried, she thinks Bannon is plotting a coup.

How Pope Francis can cleanse the far-right rot from the Catholic Church

Pope Francis needs to take tougher action against the United States’ most influential Catholic in Rome, Cardinal Raymond “Breitbart” Burke. The renegade cleric is not only undermining Francis’s reformist, compassionate papacy, and gospel teaching as it applies to refugees and Muslims, but the rebel prince of the church is also using his position within the walls of the Vatican to legitimize extremist forces that want to bring down Western liberal democracy, Stephen K. Bannon-style. Simply put, the Vatican is facing a political war between the modernizing Pope Francis and a conservative wing that wants to reassert white Christian dominance.
She manages to work in Hitler and Mussolini.

Crux posted an article in response to the WaPo article

A dose of reality about the Steve Bannon/Cardinal Burke axis

While everyone loves a conspiracy theory, reports about an "axis of evil" between Trump mastermind Steve Bannon and American Cardinal Raymond Burke may need to give way to Occam's razor. The simplest explanation may just be that both are doing what they do, with no need for a cabal.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 02:19 PM

"Mr. Trump, what about antisemitism?"
"Look at all these electoral votes I got."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2017, 02:54 PM

What Trump is saying is America isn't anti-Semitic, and wouldn't give so many votes to an anti-Semite.

Look out Spicey, I'm gunning for ya.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2017, 03:06 PM

I'm impressed Trump said to hold back on settlements to Netanyahus face

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2017, 03:15 PM

I was as well.

I'm really pro-Israel, but the settlements are objectively wrong, so I was glad for the pushback.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2017, 01:54 PM

Trump now acknowledges One China. What a cuck
Welp, I might be the cuck
China awards Trump valuable new trademark - ABC News

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2017, 02:59 PM

Sounds like Trump is having a real press conference and I'm missing a hell of a ride

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2017, 04:49 PM

Apparently (possibly) being asked to denounce antisemitism is not an easy question.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 06:48 AM

That was the most batshit press conference in the history of the office, and this is what sticks out?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2017, 10:32 AM

No it was the easiest to post from my phone.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2017, 11:25 AM

"There's no proof Trump is racist" you say.

"How much differently would a racist administration act" I ask.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2017, 01:11 PM

That doesn't sound at all fascist does it?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 01:53 PM

It wouldn't ignore all the people of the same race who are here legally, not that who we're talking about is even a race in the first place.

This policy is utter madness, but is neither racist or fascist.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It wouldn't ignore all the people of the same race who are here legally, not that who we're talking about is even a race in the first place.

This policy is utter madness, but is neither racist or fascist.
So you're argument is a racist administration would be more racist? That's the big difference?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That doesn't sound at all fascist does it?
Nope. Using the national guard to round up citizens en masse is fascist, removing illegal aliens is law enforcement.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2017, 03:41 PM

I have extreme doubts that the only people rounded up would be illegal. Discernment doesn't appear to be part of the plan thus far.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 03:49 PM

So you're argument is a racist administration would be more racist? That's the big difference?
I don't think our immigration laws are racist, so I don't think enforcing them is racist.

I think our immigration laws are unjust, but not because they're racist.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have extreme doubts that the only people rounded up would be illegal. Discernment doesn't appear to be part of the plan thus far.
There are numerous reasons why mass deportations are a bad idea, this among them, but anyone on board with the idea is obviously willing to break some huevos.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Nope. Using the national guard to round up citizens en masse is fascist, removing illegal aliens is law enforcement.
Actually per the Posse Comitatus Act the National Guard can only be utilized for "law enforcement" under state authority. So using the National Guard in any sort of purported "law enforcement" action under federal authority is illegal in and of itself.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:21 PM

If the states refuse Trump's request he could use marshals and DHS, too. However, the Insurrection Act allows Trump to use the NG, and even active military, in many instances:

The Insurrection Act of 1807 is the set of laws that govern the ability of the President of the United States to deploy troops within the United States to put down lawlessness, insurrection and rebellion.This legislation was used to declare the commencement of the American Civil War. The laws are chiefly contained in 10 U.S.C. §§ 331–335

andi*pandi
Feb 17, 2017, 04:25 PM

put down lawlessnes sounds more suited to stopping outright rebellion in the streets than ripping people from their homes, schools, and police stations where they are seeking help from violence.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:43 PM

admittedly, it may but it isn't that specific, and illegal immigration, by the numbers, has far surpassed what could be considered epidemic levels.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2017, 04:49 PM

"There's no proof Trump is racist" you say.

Homeland Security on AP’s National Guard: ‘Absolutely Incorrect’ - The Daily Beast
The Department of Homeland Security is roundly condemning an Associated Press story that broke Friday morning about considering the use of the National Guard to “round up” undocumented immigrants. The DHS says that isn’t true, and—contra the AP’s reporting—that DHS Secretary John Kelly didn’t write the draft memo.
“The Department is not considering mobilizing the National Guard,” said Gillian Christensen, the acting press secretary for DHS.
A DHS official told The Daily Beast that the memo the AP cited was an early, pre-decisional draft, that Kelly never approved it, and that the department as a whole never seriously considered it
Where were you when Obama was deporting record numbers of "unauthorized immigrants?" (500k more than W did)
Did President Obama Deport More People Than Any Other President?
TRUE
45/47

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2017, 10:40 PM

They are denying the story but have apparently admitted its based on a real internal document. So in other words, its true.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2017, 11:02 PM

They are denying the story but have apparently admitted its based on a real internal document. So in other words, its true.
This has the feel of a rather ham-fisted attempt by the White House to pull off some "psy ops".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2017, 12:11 AM

I think you give them too much credit.

We know their election campaign manager was competent, but lets see if the administration can manage to orchestrate a piss-up in a brewery before we go assuming they can do anything clever on their own.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 AM

I think you give them too much credit.

We know their election campaign manager was competent, but lets see if the administration can manage to orchestrate a piss-up in a brewery before we go assuming they can do anything clever on their own.
It has pieces of Trump MO we've seen before.

Specifically, a batshit over-the-top on opening gambit which makes the actual, less batshit plan seem more palatable.

OreoCookie
Feb 18, 2017, 01:18 AM

This has the feel of a rather ham-fisted attempt by the White House to pull off some "psy ops".
No, I don't think so. IMHO the reason why the Trump White house is leaking like a sieve is that there are many warring factions within, and they leak information to gain an advantage. There was talk of an executive order repealing LGBTQ protections for federal workers, and that was apparently squashed by Trump's daughter Ivanka and her husband. In some cases (not this White House), it is also a way to test the waters, or to confirm or deny something off the record.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2017, 11:04 AM

Again, the maneuver is common for him. During his campaign he would consistently make over-the-top statements and then walk them back.

OreoCookie
Feb 18, 2017, 11:16 PM

Again, the maneuver is common for him. During his campaign he would consistently make over-the-top statements and then walk them back.
What you are talking about has nothing to do with a “psy op” or anything so sophisticated, Trump and his surrogates often just don't care about facts.

What we are discussing here is very different: it's leaks from the White House, so not official information, but leaks meant to influence the decision making process within the White House.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2017, 02:37 PM

These "leaks" will continue until Trump has removed all the WH staff who were appointed by Obama.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2017, 04:15 PM

These "leaks" will continue until Trump has removed all the WH staff who were appointed by Obama.
Yeah. Because it can't possibly have anything to do with career personnel in the federal government who are not political appointees of any administration. And it damned sure can't have anything to do with political infighting amongs Trump's own people.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Yeah. Because it can't possibly have anything to do with career personnel in the federal government who are not political appointees of any administration. And it damned sure can't have anything to do with political infighting amongs Trump's own people.

OAW
Or it could be toadies of Obama's "shadow government" he runs from his walled compound.
From fake news World Net Daily
WASHINGTON – First, the Democrats got clobbered in the election by the Republicans.
Now they’re squaring off against each other in a civil war.

This political Gettysburg pits the Democratic Party base against the Obama machine called Organizing for Action, or OFA, the community-organizing army left over from the former president’s election campaigns.

How bitter is the battle?

Two Democratic operatives recently called OFA “The Devil.”

When former President Obama issued a call to arms to his OFA troops in order to protect his legacy, particularly Obamacare, Stephen Handwerk, executive director of the Louisiana Democratic Party, wrote in a private email to fellow party leaders, “This is some GRADE A Bulls–t right here.”

He added, “It also to me seems TONE DEAF—we have lost over 1,000 seats in the past 8 years … all because of this crap.”

The email was obtained and then published Friday by the Daily Beast, which reported: “It is difficult to overstate just how enraged state Democratic activists and leaders are with Organizing for Action.”

Read more at Now Democrats call Obama’s shadow government ‘The Devil’
In other news Melania Trump does this and Twitter exploded.
( Last edited by Chongo; Feb 19, 2017 at 08:07 PM. )
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You're right, pretty unlikely.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2017, 12:33 AM

admittedly, it may but it isn't that specific, and illegal immigration, by the numbers, has far surpassed what could be considered epidemic levels.
Reallly? Even though illegal immigration peaked ten years ago?

5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2017, 07:34 PM

I don't think our immigration laws are racist, so I don't think enforcing them is racist.

I think our immigration laws are unjust, but not because they're racist.
I think you're looking past the point here. One can act on the law and still be motivated for racist reasons. Previous presidents believed in enforcing the law, but none would have even dared dream up this scenario.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2017, 07:36 PM

Like they have a choice. Trump hasn't even been running most of his EOs past the relevant departments. I'll believe it when I hear it from the horse's mouth.

Where were you when Obama was deporting record numbers of "unauthorized immigrants?" (500k more than W did)
Did President Obama Deport More People Than Any Other President?
TRUE
Ah yes, your favorite argument, "The other side did it."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2017, 07:39 PM

This particular proposal was written around the time he was grandstanding about sending the Feds into Chicago. If he was seriously considering it, it likely got shelved when the backlash to his extreme vetting EO came out.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Reallly? Even though illegal immigration peaked ten years ago?

5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center
How is that an argument against what I said?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2017, 02:18 PM

There's an Ask Reddit right now about people's experiences having Trump as a boss.

Even taking vote manipulation into account, it's bizarre how complimentary the answers are.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2017, 04:49 PM

Is this what the anti Trump forces have been to reduced to? How can you use Satan to bind Satan?
Are You Casting a Spell On Donald Trump Tonight?

Those who don't like Donald Trump and the current Republican administration are mobilizing in all sorts of ways. They're speaking up in town halls and calling their representatives. They're organizing protests and demonstrations. And, for the magically-inclined, they're casting spells.

Starting at midnight on Friday, witches around the country are calling for a mass spell to be cast on Donald Trump every night of a waning crescent moon until he's driven from office.

The spell was publicized by Michael M. Hughes, who told ELLE.com that it was tweaked from multiple spells he saw going around private witchcraft groups. He published it on Extra News Feed because he felt "it would be very welcome to a lot of people." It quickly spread, with events being formed around the country and support on social media.

View image on Twitter
https://twitter.com/Kitty_Lemiew/sta...95930619990017
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2017, 04:54 PM

These are witches who are into bunnies, eggs, and pine trees at solstice. Not related to Christianity at all.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2017, 05:04 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules