Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo and Jaguar

Pismo and Jaguar
galvs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 06:16 AM

Almost making the the move to Jag from 9.1, have a Pismo 500, 384 RAM, 20 GB, no other upgrades possible. Can I expect a better experience? Applications used : Vectorworks, Photoshop, Office 2001, Designworkshop, IE.
Thanks in advance, Galvs.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 07:05 AM

You should expect a better overall experience, if you consider the great interface, the modern technologies and rock solid stability. Speed-wise it might feel a bit slower that 9.1 so my suggestion for you is to maximize your ram to 1GB so you can have the optimum X performance in your Pismo.

MickS
Senior User
Jan 21, 2003, 10:29 AM

It depends on your definition of better. What you will notice is that some things will seem slower (remember that on OS 9 the processor is pretty much under the control of the front application whereas this is not the case in OS X). You may also find that some things that you have got used to have changed or disappeared completely. On the otherhand you will notice a complete lack of 'Type NN' bombs and a pretty much trouble free computing experience. OS X just works.

cambro
Senior User
Jan 21, 2003, 11:14 AM

I have a Pismo 400 with 768 RAM running 10.2.3. It performs very well for my purposes, but it will almost certainly feel a little more sluggish in some areas than 9. However, it is very much worth the slight slowdown to upgrade.

Also, as the previous posters suggest, definitely invest in a 512 chip to replace the 128 in your PB. The more RAM you have, the faster X will run.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2003, 12:00 PM

I think the experience is better (I have a Pismo and Vectorworks as well) -- not always faster, but OS X's multitasking is so much better that I can actually do something else if one program starts to crunch.

schwank
Jan 22, 2003, 12:24 AM

I was running 10.2 on my 500mhz pismo with 384 megs o ram just fine.... its more stable than 9, just being able to force quit apps and not restart the computer makes it worth while (it is slower than 9 though)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 22, 2003, 01:54 PM

My Pismo runs Jaguar surprisingly well, in light of the fact that it only has 192MB of RAM at the moment.* The fact that it doesn't crash all the time makes up for the fact that it is slower than 9.

tooki

*Mercifully, two 512MB RAM modules are on the way!

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 02:05 PM

Running OS 10.2.3 on a Pismo 400, 320mb ram. Performance is fine, not as fast as 9 but not far behind (compared to 10.0 and 10.1). Mainly using for web surfing, appleworks and iPhoto, itunes. Would not go back to 9.

garetjax
Jan 22, 2003, 04:57 PM

Pismo firewire 500 with 576 mb RAM running 10.1.5 and 9.2.2. My Jag CD should be arriving soon. Is there really a big speed difference when you install Jag via "upgrade" vs "clean install" vs "erase and install"? Should I run Diskwarrior to optimize the drive before or after Jag install, or at all?

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2003, 10:52 PM

I would suggest installing 10.2 on a completly fresh hard drive. Clean it, scrub it, flush it. Then install.

hsr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 11:29 PM

Look carefully at the Jaguar CD package, there are three:

-- Upgrade: has two OS andone Developer Tools CD. Does not give the option to "archive and reinstall" -- you have to install OSX 10.1 first and then update that, if you need to reinstall. And reinstall everything you had, unless you want to risk trying to copy files over that might be corrupted. Good luck holding on to all your saved email in the Mail folder, it can get un-indexed I've found.

-- Teachers: No developer tools, two OS CDs, nobody's told me yet if it allows Archive and Reinstall

-- Retail: Two OS, one Developer Tools, AND is a complete package -- so if you have big trouble you can choose "Archive and Reinstall and it'll save your info for you.
-0-

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by galvs:
Almost making the the move to Jag from 9.1, have a Pismo 500, 384 RAM, 20 GB, no other upgrades possible. Can I expect a better experience? Applications used : Vectorworks, Photoshop, Office 2001, Designworkshop, IE.
400MHz PISMO with 384MEG of RAM and OS 10.2.3. JAG runs just fine.

I only wish I have more video memory for Ghost Recon.

I really do need to buy a new PowerBook!

bstone
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by galvs:
Actually, there ARE upgrades available. PowerLogix offers a G4/500 or G3/800 upgrade. Newer offers a G4/500. I am holding out for a G4/800 tho.

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by bstone:
Actually, there ARE upgrades available. PowerLogix offers a G4/500 or G3/800 upgrade. Newer offers a G4/500. I am holding out for a G4/800 tho.
Yes, but sadly the video is still lacking.

galvs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
Really??? This forum is the only place I see in internet, sorry, I never heard about xlr8yourmac, or Maccentral, or O`Gradys...

Snyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2003, 02:56 AM

I have a Pismo (former g3 400) with the powerlogix g4 500 upgrade, Travelstar 40GNX 40 gig 5400 rpm HD, 768mb RAM (soon to be a gig) and 10.2.3. It's a great machine. As far as video goes it looks like this: www.vtbookdd.com is the answer at least for an external display. I do FileMaker development, some network admin, VPC and Timbuktu, some iPhoto stuff. I'm happy.

Do the upgrades. It beats spending $3000 on a new machine. Atleast for now!!!

I spoke wth Powerlogix about the g3 800 upgrade and they said that the G4 500 is the fastest G4 upgrade they will ever have in the Pismo and that motorola is not making anynore of the 7410 chips so if you want the g4 500 get it while you can.

bstone
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Snyd:
I have a Pismo (former g3 400) with the powerlogix g4 500 upgrade, Travelstar 40GNX 40 gig 5400 rpm HD, 768mb RAM (soon to be a gig) and 10.2.3. It's a great machine. As far as video goes it looks like this: www.vtbookdd.com is the answer at least for an external display. I do FileMaker development, some network admin, VPC and Timbuktu, some iPhoto stuff. I'm happy.

Do the upgrades. It beats spending $3000 on a new machine. Atleast for now!!!

I spoke wth Powerlogix about the g3 800 upgrade and they said that the G4 500 is the fastest G4 upgrade they will ever have in the Pismo and that motorola is not making anynore of the 7410 chips so if you want the g4 500 get it while you can.
This PC Card looks interesting, but still doesn't solve the internal video issue. I have a friend who says he might try to cut out the internal video card and solder a pin compatible one in thre but I have little hope. On my Pismo 400 I have a gig of RAM, internal CD-RW/DVD-ROM (http://reviews.macnn.com/review.php?id=33)
and soon to get a larger internal HD.

I called and talked to Powerlogix and they told me the G3/800 is a better idea than the G4/500 if you are a day to day user. Of course if you need the altivec acceleration then the G4 is for you, but people who do mainly surfing, emailing and word processing shold go with the G3/800 instead.

So far without the G3/800 Jaguar on my Pismo runs well. I am certain with a larger and faster RPM hard drive it will work even nicer.

Sincerely,
Brad

Snyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 02:15 AM

Doesn't OSX itself benefit from the G4?
I upgraded mine to the G4 in October. No G3 800 was available. I like the idea of controlling the CPU with software to save batt life. Mines down to 2.5 hours casual use.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 02:18 PM

Annnnnd bump.

I was just considering my options as a starving college student... I have a Pismo 400 with 768 RAM... I generally don't complain, but some Finder tasks, and several others just get me down. The beach ball spins and spins sometimes for what seems like ever!

I originally wanted a PowerBook... then I convinced myself that a new 15" iBook wouldn't be so bad... now I'm thinking, I need a car and an apartment next year, I can't be spending all my money on a new toy. So...

I remembered several months ago when the G4 500 upgrades came out... Now I'm considering one of those. And now I see there are G3/800 upgrades... I could definitely swing for one of those !
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules