Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > MacSkinz

MacSkinz (Page 2)
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 12:04 AM

Ah sah... thanks for the info!

Originally posted by macskinz:
From reading your post, you must have ordered a clear MacSkin. The 3/4" clear stickers are to place between the adhesive "dot" and the freshly painted surface of the MacSkinz. This is provided in case you custom painted your MacSkinz. It distributes the point of adhesion to the computer so the pad will not pull off the paint. If left clear, you do not need it.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Alexandra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 12:04 AM

Hi. I was wondering what other kinds of skins you would be making in the future. What about one with a sort of Matrix code, or something like it? That would be awesome.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2003, 01:24 PM

I got my biohazard skin. I have to say, it looks pretty sweet. Nice job Doug. I will definitely recommend your product to others.
Nemo me impune lacesset

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 01:28 PM

Heh... i've asked that about 17 times... well see...

Originally posted by Alexandra:
Hi. I was wondering what other kinds of skins you would be making in the future. What about one with a sort of Matrix code, or something like it? That would be awesome.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 11:29 PM

Better yet, make it a hologram so it looks like the characters are falling down the screen.

Christmas is just around the corner. I sure would love to have an iPod skin in my stocking Christmas morning. When exactly will they be available?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mikeini
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 02:50 PM

as soon as i get my ibook, im getting a macskin!! but i was wondering what they looked like from more than just the back angle. can anyone help me with this?

PLEASE POST SOME PIX!

mike

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by mikeini:
as soon as i get my ibook, im getting a macskin!! but i was wondering what they looked like from more than just the back angle. can anyone help me with this?

PLEASE POST SOME PIX!

mike
they only cover the back of the screen.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 04:51 PM

I ordered one, delivery is today(hopefully).

Edit- Received and it looks great

( Last edited by songoku912; Nov 6, 2003 at 05:20 PM. )

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2003, 01:27 PM

The MacSkinz look great! I'm waiting a bit to see what new styles you come out with for the PB 12" and the iPod. I hope you make another pink design for both. I was thinking the Hibiscus design in either white or pink for both my PB and iPod. Do you think that could be done? Anyway, they look great and I will be def buying soon.

cal4ever
Nov 17, 2003, 06:40 AM

I've been eyeing the black macskinz for my 12'' pb for a while now, but it's been sold out for at least a few weeks. Any idea on when they will be restock? I would love to have one before the new year!

Thanks!

Eciton
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
I've been eyeing the black macskinz for my 12'' pb for a while now, but it's been sold out for at least a few weeks. Any idea on when they will be restock? I would love to have one before the new year!

Thanks!
I'd like to know the same for the blue-flames-on-white for the 12" iBook, please!

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 04:06 PM

You should create flames out of that chameloeon paint (the kind that is like oil and reflects different colors depending on angle). On the ipod, that would ROCK.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 05:14 AM

Any chance of the Union Jack design for the 14in iBook?

Chris, U.K.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2003, 08:46 PM

When will the iPod skinz be ready? I've been checking periodically, but it still says under construction. I'm very pleased with my iBook skin and would like to offer the same protection to my precious iPod.
Nemo me impune lacesset

baglunch
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 02:18 PM

I've been waiting since day one for the 17" powerbook version to come out. The clear, black, and seafoam green are hot, but i'd also like to see a dark dark chocolate/brown, that would also be pretty classy, and/or a light beige/cream/tan color.

unimaxium
Dec 4, 2003, 06:45 PM

MacSkinz are cool, I think I might get one or two for my 12" Powerbook. Sorry if you answered this before, but how do they attach to the aluminum case? Does it use tape? Can they be removed and put back on on a regular basis?

Also, I think it would be cool to see more stuff for the G5. I hope you come out with more for it in the future.

perbl
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 08:26 PM

This looks like a great product, and thanks to Doug for listening to what people on this forum has to say.

I have one question for Doug or anyone who owns a macskin for a powerbook. I have recently ordered a 12" PB, and was wondering if the skin tend to get loose over time if you keep the machine running with the lid closed due to the heat.

stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 12:39 PM

Earlier you had mentioned some issues you were having with the 15" TiBook MacSkinz around the hinge area. Just wondering what the status of this is and what this means for us TiBook owners looking at MacSkinz. I'd love to order a Macskin for my PB and one for my iPod when they come out. Hopefully the next batch of 15" Titanium macskinz will be ready soon... I'm really leaning towards this one right now:

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what the iPod skinz are like.
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Alexandra:
Hello Alexandra,
I get many request for a Matrix design but of course can't use the real thing for copyright reasons. A few people have also directly contacted me with great interest in the design and I replied asking them to submit an original take on it in that is printable. I haven't received anything and am just too darn busy at the moment to do it myself. So... I plan on doing something along that line but don't know when.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I got my biohazard skin. I have to say, it looks pretty sweet. Nice job Doug. I will definitely recommend your product to others.
Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
Heh... i've asked that about 17 times... well see...
You'd be amazed at the response we get on our website. People love us, hate us, think we are the best thing since sliced bread, think we are desecrating the beautiful look of the original Mac, etc... The one thing I can say is that if they see a MacSkinz in person, they think they are awesome. The vibrancy and depth of color just can't be conveyed with a JPEG.

As for requests, we get them all. From mundane to insane. All we can really do is find a balance and create designs that are possible with our production methods. As our company evolves, our capabilities expand. Once I completely nail down our digital printing system, we can produce "any" design provided it is process. In the mean time, I would like to work with a few dedicated zealots capable of creating screen separated designs such as the Matrix code. I'll do it myself eventually but don't know when I can get to it.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Better yet, make it a hologram so it looks like the characters are falling down the screen.

Christmas is just around the corner. I sure would love to have an iPod skin in my stocking Christmas morning. When exactly will they be available?
iPod MacSkinz (PodSkinz) have been done for over a month now but I have not had the time to make them available for consumers. This should have been done prior to the Christmas season but MacSkinz has been busy fulfilling orders for our current product line. It' s a pretty good problem to have and should be resolved soon after MacWorld this coming January.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by cal4ever:

Thanks!
It's been a month since this was posted so I hope our request has already been fulfilled.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by bells0:
Any chance of the Union Jack design for the 14in iBook?

Chris, U.K.
Hello,
The Union Jack design looks nice and we are determining whether it is worth creating for the other Mac models. We base this on sales and requests so yours is taken into account.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
When will the iPod skinz be ready? I've been checking periodically, but it still says under construction. I'm very pleased with my iBook skin and would like to offer the same protection to my precious iPod.
Someday soon. I am probably mare anxious than you are.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by unimaxium:
MacSkinz are cool, I think I might get one or two for my 12" Powerbook. Sorry if you answered this before, but how do they attach to the aluminum case? Does it use tape? Can they be removed and put back on on a regular basis?

Also, I think it would be cool to see more stuff for the G5. I hope you come out with more for it in the future.
The tape we use is a high quality, clear, non-drying gummy type. It maintains its adhesion pretty well yet can still be removed from the computer if needed. Customers can send us a SASE and we will send more tape free of charge.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by perbl:
This looks like a great product, and thanks to Doug for listening to what people on this forum has to say.

I have one question for Doug or anyone who owns a macskin for a powerbook. I have recently ordered a 12" PB, and was wondering if the skin tend to get loose over time if you keep the machine running with the lid closed due to the heat.
Hello,
the small amount of heat generated by the screen doesn't affect the adhesive pads at all. If the MacSkinz are removed many times or the pads are touched with fingers then adhesion will diminish. One thing that I've never meantioned is that when we remove MacSkinz from our office computers, they look very "naked". Kind of like a cat without fur. Just wrong.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by stevek:
Earlier you had mentioned some issues you were having with the 15" TiBook MacSkinz around the hinge area. Just wondering what the status of this is and what this means for us TiBook owners looking at MacSkinz. I'd love to order a Macskin for my PB and one for my iPod when they come out. Hopefully the next batch of 15" Titanium macskinz will be ready soon... I'm really leaning towards this one right now:

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what the iPod skinz are like.
The TiBook has caused us more problems than any of the other models. This is due to the hinge area and the 90 degree sides of the case. The hinge problem has been solved and works fine. The only issue we have now is that some TiBook MacSkinz fit "snugger" than others. This is due to shrinkage which tends to vary depending on the climate you live in.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

stevek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 04:35 PM

for the quick responses!
I have a TiBook. I have an iPod. Life is good.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 04:38 PM

no new status on 17" macskinz?

perbl
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 10:50 AM

For the quick response!

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 10:57 AM

We need a thread so that we can post pix of our MacSkinz-ed setups

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by baglunch:

no new status on 17" macskinz?
We get many requests for the 17" but to be honest, we have had it on the back burner. It's form factor cuts our production in half and for us to complete what we need to do, we need to get our hands on one. They don't come cheep so our (limited) resources have been going towards equipment and tooling to take our production to the next level. As soon as we get our hands on a 17 it won't be long at all before they are available.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
We need a thread so that we can post pix of our MacSkinz-ed setups

then start one. not a hard thing to do.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2004, 12:03 AM

I'm sure you're working on it, but I'd just like to add my interest in skinz for the AlBook 15". I especially like the apple showing.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2004, 04:17 PM

Will you be making skinz for the bottom of the ibooks as well? Thatd be swell.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by brien:
Will you be making skinz for the bottom of the ibooks as well? Thatd be swell.
That was already asked here. He said no, based on heat dissipation needs.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 02:13 PM

Just to let everyone know, the MacSkinz website will only be accepting orders for our G5 clear panels and other acrylic goodies starting this Sunday night (1-4-04). The reason for this is that we are restructuring our production methods and revamping our designs. Many of our designs will be discontinued and new ones will be introduced. One that I am working on is formable chrome. This should look great if all works well. There is also aluminum, polycarbonate, and wood grains to name a few. We are also working on getting our product out to distributors which will make MacSkinz more accessible to everyone. If all goes well, by february, we'll have the products I've been touting available and our reseller channels in place.

Thanks for enjoying our product line,
Doug,
www.macskinz.com

Oh, you can see our G5 panels in the latest edition of MacAddict (Feb 04).

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2004, 02:59 AM

Hi Doug. Been dreaming of a personal design to have printed, and I wonder how the new production methods will impact custom orders. It'll probably be a largely vector-based design. Is it a particular challenge to get crisp edges between contrasting colors? I'd love to see some photos of other custom print jobs, too. Also, what are the design dimensions for a custom job? Looking forward to what's next.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by druber:
Hi Doug. Been dreaming of a personal design to have printed, and I wonder how the new production methods will impact custom orders. It'll probably be a largely vector-based design. Is it a particular challenge to get crisp edges between contrasting colors? I'd love to see some photos of other custom print jobs, too. Also, what are the design dimensions for a custom job? Looking forward to what's next.
Hello Druber,
Our new production methods don't really affect custom orders in short runs. We are now working on infused images and layered coatings on the plastic. Both look great. Our custom MacSkinz are digitally printed on a specially coated plastic. This is where the difficulty lies. It is difficult to lay down a perfectly consistent coating where the ink will print solid fields with no variation. In comes another piece of equipment we have to buy. In a nutshell, photographic style images look best. Vector images are still a little mottled but won't be for long.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

Oh, as for custom dimensions, off the top of my head extend the bleed about an inch outside and choke the live area about 3/4" inside the computer's dimensions.

BTW I just noticed something about this board. Post times in Netscape are 4 hours prior to Eploder. Odd.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 10:13 PM

That's all right, I'm in no specific rush. Is that "another piece of equipment" on the way, in the works?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 12:04 AM

Here are a couple pics of my clear skin and the picture I have underneath...

Oh yeah:

Hot:

Thin as a rail:

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
Here are a couple pics of my clear skin and the picture I have underneath...
Oh my. Sweeet.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

haifischjunge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 03:17 PM

so as I understand this, for vector design s it right now the best to order a clear skin and print out the custom design on a clear film with a color laser printer or so.

I could imagine something that looks like a graffiti on the ibook. I sould try it, if the macskinz hp is up again.

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 11:46 PM

I just ordered a 15" powerbook and would love to get a Skinz for it when will MacSkinz be open again?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 04:13 PM

Been waiting for the new MacSkinz designs so I can clad my 12" iBook, and purchase a clear side for my G5...

waiting...

waiting...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 01:36 PM

Bump for asking if there is an estimated time of re-opening. I have had around 12 different people ask where they can get one, and they are all dissapointed when they see the website is closed. (also because I want to change mine

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 12:42 PM

MacSkinz update:
MacSkinz is still down because of production systems that are outside our control but will be completed very shortly. Our reason for taking the site down in January was to replenish our inventory and "adjust" the designs we offered to reflect our new technologies. 3 of the new designs include brushed aluminum, wood grain, and carbon fiber. We have tested creating chrome MacSkinz with great success and they look awesome. These may be introduced later as the minimum runs need to be quite large. Other designs to be released will be jaguar fur, rattlesnake, along with quite a few others. MacSkinz for iPods (PodSkinz) are being produced for the square corner, round corner and mini models. These should debut at the same time in 18+ designs. We will also be releasing MacSkinz for the new 15" PowerBook. In a nutshell, we have been ramping up our production methods so we can accomodate resellers and increasing our product line for when we make them available again.

thanks for your patience,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

baglunch
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 12:52 PM

[B]MacSkinz update:
3 of the new designs include brushed aluminum, wood grain, and carbon fiber. We have tested creating chrome MacSkinz with great success and they look awesome.
Will these styles "eventually" be available for the 17" powerbook? Is the wood grain, wood, or printed wood grain design on plastic (there used to be a real wood lid for the tiBook). Any new ETA on 17" macskinz?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 06:28 PM

carbon fiber
www.macskinz.com
Hey, I'm a sportbike guy! Way to score points with CF!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules