Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dell Latitude V. 17" Powerbook

Dell Latitude V. 17" Powerbook
Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 08:45 PM

I am starting a new job and they are offering my choice of a Dell and a 17" Powerbook. The delima is that my personal computer is the identical 17" (except that I have the 5400rpm drive), and that I develop software that occasionally needs be to run code on Windows machine. I have never been in a place of work that let me use a Mac and while I always dreamed about it - I don't know what to do!!! Would love some input here - I have to decide pretty darn quick between these two choices:

Apple PowerBook G4
1.33GHz Motorola PowerPC G4,
512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive,
2X8 DVD-R/16X4X24 CD-RW SuperDrive,
56K, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, WiFi 802.11g,
Bluetooth, Mac OS OS X 10.3 and a 17" XGA active-matrix display
Rebate: Call
Usually Ships: Same Day
CDW Part: 530965
Mfg. Part: M9110LL/A
UNSPSC: 43171801
Price:
Extranet Pricing $2,868.05 This is special pricing through our
account - it is available to you
OffersReceive a FREE 512MB RAM upgrade (CDW 592435) after $159.38
mail-in rebate ($40 installation fee required) with the purchase of 15"
and 17" Apple PowerBook notebooks. Offer ends on 5/31/04 or while
quantities last. This is a discount for an additional 512 RAM - brings
the laptop to 1GB - it is a REAL powerbook then!!!

Dell Latitude 800
Date & Time: March 29, 2004 2:11:21 PM

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latitude D800 Qty 1
Pentium(r) M Processor 1.70GHz 15.4 WUXGA Display, Microsoft(r)
Windows(r) XP Professional, SP1, with media Unit Price $3,261.00
Catalog Number: 4
Module Description Product Code Sku Id
Latitude D800 Pentium(r) M Processor 1.70GHz 15.4 WUXGA Display D817U
[221-2232] 1
Operating System Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Professional, SP1, with
media XPPRO1 [420-1946] 11
Memory 512MB,DDR SDRAM,2 DIMMS for the price of 384mb!!! 512UP
[462-7762] 3
Graphics NVIDIA(r) GeForce4 4200 Go(tm) 4XAGP graphics w/32MB DDR Video
Memory 32VM [320-0630] 6
Hard Drive 60GB,HD,9.5MM,5400RPM 60D54 [340-9339] 8
Floppy Drive Options No Floppy Drive NFD [340-8854] 10
Modem Internal 56K Modem I56 [313-1535] 14
AC Adapter 90W AC Adapter 90AC [310-4224] 15
Modular Bay Devices 8-24-24-24X SWDVD/CDRW Combo Drive 24XCMBO
[313-2115] 16
Wireless Local Area Networking Options NO WIRELESS LAN CRD NW [430-2900]
Bundle Microsoft (r) Office Small Business Edition 2003 and Adobe
Acrobat 6.0 SBEAD [365-1234][410-0166][412-0489] 22
Battery 9 CELL PRIMARY BATTERY 9C [312-0193] 27
Carrying Cases NYLON DELUXE CASE NC [310-3109] 28
Hardware Support Services 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD
On-Site Service WI3YOS [900-0850][900-0852] 29
File System NTFS File System for all Operating Systems NTFS [420-3699]
Additional Battery 9-CELL/72WHr Spare primary battery 9C2 [312-0194] 80
Docking Solutions D/Port Advanced Port Replicator DPORT [310-2854] 94
Docking Solutions D-Family Monitor Stand DMON [310-2875] 94
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale. NOT4SEL [462-4506]
TOTAL: $3,261.00

Help!

nate_02
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 09:06 PM

Can your windows programs run on Virtual PC? If so, go with the PowerBook.
-nate

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 09:09 PM

If you only need to run code on Windows occasionally, AND you have always wanted to use a Mac at work- just go for what would make you happiest and most comfortable. Your job should be a place where you enjoy what you do...

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by nate_02:
Can your windows programs run on Virtual PC? If so, go with the PowerBook.
Hadn't thought of this - but my sense is that I really need to run my code native under windows and on Intel hardware. The point is to be able to exercise the code under conditions that it will encounter in the field. Not under emulation. But, it is something to consider and to talk to other developers about. Reality is I know very little about VPC and need to rectify that. Having 2 17" sounds luxurious but something about it bothers me too.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 09:24 PM

Hi,

If you don't have to return either machine, could you just keep their powerbook, sell yours, and then get a cheaper pc laptop?

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 09:27 PM

1. Take the Dell
2. Sell it
3. Buy yourself a PowerBook and build yourself a 1U PC (which you can then RDC into).

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 09:54 PM

The range of suggestions here underscores my problem. But, I know I can't ask for a Dell and flip around sell it. That isn't an option. I could sell my 17' though but would rather have the Wintel box at work rather than mine. I am thinking of asking for traditional Dell work station but that doesn't thrill either. I have wanted a Mac at work for so long and now that I have the option - I am finding problems giving up Windows. I gotta get some help!

mchang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 10:09 PM

If you need windows, you gotta get the Dell. I don't see the problem. You already have a PB17. Leave the Dell at the office, drag the PB in when you need it.

No sense in getting two of the same computer.

mark

FlatLyna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 05:13 AM

Talking of Virtual PC, I just got a 15" AlBook and I run VPC on it. But rather than installing Windows2000 or WinXP on it I went for NT4 Workstation - and its performance is fantastic. Provided you dont need native support for USB devices in Windows using NT4 is excellent. Its very responsive, has a tiny memory footprint compared to more recent windows version, happily running with 128Mb allocated, whereas 256Mb is the minimum I'd use for W2k.

As others have said if you need more Windows horsepower, using RDC works well too and I've used this to manage a bunch of W2k Servers where I work.

Now if only there was a PC Anywhere client to allow me onto our ~1500 desktops I'd be laughing!!
Nick

G5 DP2.0Ghz 970FX 2Gb R9800XT Sony Superdrive
15" Al PBG4 1GHz 768Mb

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2004, 05:51 AM

If you can get a mac desktop, that might be another option huh?
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

mrgreen4242
Mar 30, 2004, 06:36 AM

What about selling your personal 17" PB (Could probably get around $2500 for it, no?), buying a 12" PB ($1800 if you get it with a Combodrive, 786MB ram [adding your own dimm], 40gb HD, AE, and no discounts), and a cheap-o generic windows laptop (under $500), pocketing some extra cash (almost enough to buy an ipod mini or a 15gb ipod), then let your employer buy you the new 17" PB?

You get to have a top of the line mac at work (which, presumably, they let you take home with you, else why buy you a laptop?), a pc to test code on, plus a super little mac to take with you wherever you may need to go?

Alternatively, you goind replace the 12" PB with an iMac or something for home, and lug the 17" PB everywhere...

Dunno, seems like a nice position to be in to me!

Rob

Dr.Michael
Mar 30, 2004, 07:23 AM

For the price difference of 400$ they can find you a cheap windows running desktop.

At work I would prefer the most comfortable solution. And for developement this is a Mac.

I develop java code, also on a mac, and I test on an old PII, 400 which runs linux. I got it for free!

I also test on VirtualPC which is ok for tests but very slow.

I once worked on a Dell latitude c810. For everyday work it was very bad because of ergonomical reasons. I would never do that again if it is avoidable.

Michael
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 30, 2004 at 11:54 AM. )

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2004, 09:49 AM

I am starting a new job and they are offering my choice of a Dell and a 17" Powerbook. The delima is that my personal computer is the identical 17" (except that I have the 5400rpm drive), and that I develop software that occasionally needs be to run code on Windows machine. I have never been in a place of work that let me use a Mac and while I always dreamed about it - I don't know what to do!!! Would love some input here
You are not explaining enough how you are going to use the computer. At this point, I can't tell you more than take what fits better your needs.

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 10:13 AM

Thank you for the input. I will check back in and let you know what I do. Selling my personal PB is not an option as it is so fine and stable I just wouldn't want to let it go until, well, for quite a while anyway.

The suggestions to get a cheapo windows machine is actually very viable. In fact, the developement I am doing right now, building Mac and Windows plugins for photoshop, is not job related but work I am doing for myself. As far as the job is concerned, I could be on any platform.

It must seem stupid, but having both my personal and work computers both being 17" feels a bit boring and redundant. Don't get me wrong, I love the 17" but I don't want 2 of them! I could, I suppose ask for a 12 or 15 but than I would need an external monitor and I feel that I should chose from the two choices presented to me. The Dell appears to be pretty nicely tricked out no?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2004, 10:51 AM

If you've just got to be able to run on Windows native hardware, it doesn't seem like you've got much choice to begin with, which is a bummer, because it looks to me like the Powerbook is cheaper with slightly better specs. Perhaps you could convince them that if they were willing to drop $3200.00 on the Dell, that with all things being equal, why not spend $2800.00 on the Powerbook, and $400.00 on a Wintel desktop? Then you'd have the best of both worlds-- the better of the two portables, and the Windows box for testing.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
all things being equal, why not spend $2800.00 on the Powerbook, and $400.00 on a Wintel desktop? Then you'd have the best of both worlds-- the better of the two portables, and the Windows box for testing.

CV
I am leaning towards taking the Mac - I have so long wanted to be able use my Mac both at home and at work and the chance to do so again - may never present itself. But, I think the $400 Wintel machines are really a myth. When you look at those long and hard you realize that you still have a lot to add to them to get them anywhere near usable. But, I just remembered that I have a 3-4 year old Dell subnotebook kicking around at home collecting dust. I am going to see about getting a new battery in that, maxing out the ram, reinitiallzing and reinstalling and using that.......I am also going to see if my current employer will let me take my Dell with me.....longshot, but I can ask. My problem, if you want to call it that, is thinking about having 2 17"s - I would rather almost have a Powermac or a 12" or 15". But, I feel I have to choose from the 2 offers.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2004, 12:22 PM

If work allows for either machine (maybe you're developing on unix remotely from the laptop? or you're a sysadmin?), i'd say go with what makes you comfortable because a confortable work environment is a productive one.

In regards to personal projects i like to keep it that way, personal. If you change departments or leave your job, then you could be out of a machine which would disrupt your workflow. I think a 2nd 17" is not out of the question if you dedicate the work 17 strictly for work, and do not use your home 17 for work. I personally never use my 17" for work because they didn't pay for it, i did with my own money (although they indirectly payed for it through my paycheck). what happens if it dies while i'm doing work related things? they won't replace it, i would have to with money i could have done something better with (like get a g5 or a cinema display). If you smash, crash, or damage the machine your job provides, they're responsible for its repair and replacement. Besides, you're at work at least 7-10 hours a day, and if you include a few hours of work at home on the weekdays and on weekends that can add up to a lot of unneeded milage on your personal laptop.

My job offered a desktop and laptop (pc only) for me to do my work on, while i do have a pc and a mac laptop at home i had no intent on using either of them for work. I leave my work laptop at home for work and at the office i have a couple of desktops and a few xterminals that they provided. i only bring the laptop in for presentations. So far i've had my work laptop repaired once and replaced once, neither of these outages affected my personal projects since i do those on my albook at home.

Podolsky  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 05:16 PM

Thread closed.

Turns out they don't care what I get just so long as I am happy.....what a concept! I am going with a Power Mac G5 dual 1.8 and 17" monitor. Cost will be <$3,000. On my own I will recondition the Dell subnotebook I have and use that for my project.

Thanks - Happy Trails to You....

Forum Links
Forum Rules