Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do you use your PowerBook for ?

What do you use your PowerBook for ?
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2004, 01:49 AM

JUst wondering what you peeps use your PBs for; just basic web-surfing/e-mail, or if you use it for productivity.

I was just got my PB about 2.5 weeks ago and i was wondering now that a i have a powerful notebook if there is any sort of job or side jobs i can do with my pb to make some money - btw, i am only 16(so that probably rules out a lot)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2004, 02:12 AM

Well, I make my living using my powerbook. I am a freelance translator. I get my jobs from clients via email, mostly. They send me files in Japanese (mostly Microsoft Office files) and I translate them into English. So obviously I use office, but I also make use of the web a fair amount when searching for uses of terminology and so forth, and I also have an extensive collection of electronic dictionaries. I also listen to iTunes most of the time when I work. I suppose I could do all of this with a desktop, but I do like to be able to move around when necessary and I do occasionally need to travel, so having everything in the powerbook is convenient.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 02:16 AM

i use it for university.

my school's prof likes to post lectures, so i constantly use it to download and view PDFs (awesome with Preview). i also code C for my programming class on it, and also to communicate with the profs/TAs online and organize myself. aside from the usual chat, net, game and everything else we do day to day.
Ryan

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2004, 02:22 AM

aside from the usual internet, email, and chatting. i use my powerbook for all the web design i do and a lot of school work. i take notes on in in class. some of my teacher post class stuff online, so i need it for that.

then there is the music and movies, etc, stuff.

GoCats
Oct 3, 2004, 02:59 AM

I use my Powerbook for many many things:

Java programming
ColdFusion programming
PostgreSQL development
Managing photos
iTunes
Developing documentation
Excel spreadsheets
e-mail (of course)
web browsing (of course)
CD and DVD burning

That's just some of the things that I do on a near daily basis. I honestly can't tell you how impressed I am my 17" 1.5, it's a lot faster than I expected it to be, and this screen is amazing. It let's me be so productive I don't have to go to my office and hook up my 19" monitor... I can just sit on the couch and work!

Originally posted by V12:
JUst wondering what you peeps use your PBs for; just basic web-surfing/e-mail, or if you use it for productivity.

I was just got my PB about 2.5 weeks ago and i was wondering now that a i have a powerful notebook if there is any sort of job or side jobs i can do with my pb to make some money - btw, i am only 16(so that probably rules out a lot)

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 04:09 AM

Graphic design, webdesign, photoshop work, presentations ....

and then the usual, check mail, surf, watch movies ...

I've had it for about 7 months, and I don't think I could do without it, I work on this machines 5-8 hours a day .

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 05:46 AM

Apart from all the everyday things:-

I use mine for Web Design and Digital Art and Photoshopping....is that a word?
PowerBook Rev C 12 " Combo, 1.25 gig ram, OSX 10.3.5, Airport Express, iPod 3G, Fuji Finepix F700, Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks II.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 08:10 AM

i work in advertising so i use mine with photoshop, illustrator, indesign as well as using imovie and idvd to put together samples of my broadcast reel. of course, i do a lot of the usual: surfing, e-mailing and the like.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2004, 09:40 AM

I mostly use mine for hobbies tasks, and that is surfing, iLife, watching movies and geeking and goofing. On the productivity side I am supposed to learn programming and do various school related tasks, but this year I don't have any courses where I can make use of my PB except for some occasionally typing homework.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2004, 11:56 AM

I run my entire business from mine. That includes InDesign, Photoshop, web design but also Office and other productivity tools. I love the little thing.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 11:59 AM

I use it for everything I need
iamwhor3hay

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2004, 12:38 PM

that sounds great, i see you all are enjoying your PBs even if it is work you are doing on it, that's a good sign i guess, lol.

i currently use my PB for helping me with school, basic surfing, e-mail etc, however i do take advantage of iTunes, and i am now being to get the hang of iPhoto (i am currently using it to crop, enhance, and print photos from my cousins wedding which was yesterday), which sort of got me thinking. Since so many choose the PB for doing work on, i was wondering if there is any way i can make some money on the side using it? I know i would probably hqave to buy some niffty software or something, but if i would be able to make some sort of gain on it i would be happy.

if anyone has any ideas let me know

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by V12:
Since so many choose the PB for doing work on, i was wondering if there is any way i can make some money on the side using it? I know i would probably hqave to buy some niffty software or something, but if i would be able to make some sort of gain on it i would be happy.

if anyone has any ideas let me know
Well, some people do make money editing videos of weddings and other events. Back before iMovie-type programs were more common, people used to be able to just use iMovie and make a presentation that would impress people, but I think maybe standards have gotten higher now. Of course, even if you're just using iMovie, you still have to know what you are doing, and you have to have good video in the first place, which is often the hard part.

Some people make money on eBay, selling things.

If you know how to code web pages, you could probably do that for money, too.

That said, the powerbook is a tool, and like any tool, the person using it has to know what they are doing. It's not going to magically let you earn money if you don't have any skills that people want.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
I use it for everything I need
when it gets hot enough, you can use it as an iron, a bagel toaster, AND a panini press. the powerbrick doubles as a coffee grinder/peppercorn cracker. When closed, you can use it as a serving tray .. but oft times .. i get crumbs in that crack where the apple logo meets the aluminum ... Toothpicks fix that ..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
when it gets hot enough, you can use it as an iron, a bagel toaster, AND a panini press. the powerbrick doubles as a coffee grinder/peppercorn cracker. When closed, you can use it as a serving tray .. but oft times .. i get crumbs in that crack where the apple logo meets the aluminum ... Toothpicks fix that ..

oh .. griddle pancakes on the bottom, make waffles using the keyboard =P

J/K .. i love my g4 bookie ... oh .. hey .. u can use it for gambling too =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Saramin
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I run my entire business from mine. That includes InDesign, Photoshop, web design but also Office and other productivity tools. I love the little thing.
That's actually one of the sleeker things I've seen in a while. Most interesting. Give me three more years to finish my English major and we'll see if I come up with anything worth a submission.

I myself largely use my machine for schoolwork, gaming, iTunes, photography management, web browsing and writing. Mainly the first two. Oft times the gaming supersedes the schoolwork, but no one is supposed to know about that. Sshhh...

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2004, 10:09 PM

Basically everything as I use microsoft office, photoshop CS all the time and offcourse browse the net.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
that too.
iamwhor3hay

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
that too.
We are the only TRUE POWERUSERS of our powerbooks. Applecare works out really well for people like us =)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 11:46 AM

I use it for school as of right now, but am about to start freelancing soon and my PB is goin to have to handle all of that work along with my new old LCD thanks to Icruise.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 12:04 PM

i LIVE on my revC 12"...

music production, scoring, audio recording (logic, reason)
screenwriting (final draft)
web design (and some other grafix) (dreamweaver, inDesign, photoshop)
email, etc (of course)
note-taking & organization (notebook)
itunes!
photography
exercising

(okay, made that last one up)
( Last edited by fisherKing; Oct 5, 2004 at 09:20 AM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

machan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 02:57 PM

right now, i've got a Rev. A 12" PB. using it for:

web browsing (Safari)
scheduling (iCal, Address Book)
audio (Pro Tools, Live, iTunes)
photo library (iPhoto)
graphic design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
video editing (Final Cut Express, After Effects 5.5, Quicktime Pro)
dvd burning (iDVD)

going to be replacing it as soon as the new 15" is announced this month or next. also will be getting the Production Suite at the same time because i'm getting more hardcore into video editing and dvd authoring...plus i want to add motion to my bag of tricks and can't run it on my 12".

Chad A Wright
Oct 4, 2004, 09:53 PM

I work in advertising and use it for absolutely everything.

Video Production
Audio Production
Print Production

Plus all the various productivity things like iCal, Mail, OmniOutliner.

I couldn't live without my PowerBook. It's a 1Ghz Ti model. I never considered the idea of a full featured ad agency in a 1" thick enclosure until I tried this thing out.

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 02:07 AM

I use 15" for Web/Graphic Design, couldn't live without it. Being a freelance artist, it's extremely handy for me to be able to bring my work with me anywhere I go. Frees me up to do a lot more travelling if I can bring my work with me.

RonnieoftheRose
Oct 5, 2004, 02:20 AM

Safari for browsing and research
Mail for...mail
Final Draft for writing
Word for writing and note taking
Stickies for note taking
iPhoto for presentations and compiling albums
iTunes for synching my iPod
Photoshop for presentation graphics
iDVD and iMovie for presentation videos
Address Book and Bluetooth synching for my cellphone

That's about it. Most of those apps do their jobs much better than Windows' equivalents.

an0therdumbsn
Oct 5, 2004, 04:57 PM

Im a student so i use my pb to go over to the library and get homework done (dorm isnt the best enviroment for that).
So work wise i only use the office apps like word excel and pp.
However i always have itunes open, safari and iphoto get alot of use. I also use photoshop cs although only for entertainment purposes. Burn dvd's (toast) and have been teaching myself how to use xcode.
I really love my powerbook and my spyware ridden dell desktop is getting turned on less and less. I am saving up for a new imac.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 05:09 PM

sounds great what you guys all do with your PB's

for the someone who reconmended using eBay to make some side money by using my computer i've been doing that all summer long, and my gains are partially what got me this computer. Over the summer (during 7 weeks altogether) i made about $1700.

i will be getting PhotoShop Elements soon. I liked the iPhoto option so much i want to get into photo imaging a little more and it seems Elements in the best option for me to begin to work on. From what i have heard it has some great features, and hte price isn't all that bad.

ryju
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 05:20 PM

I use my 15inch for video editing and graphic design. I go to a Film School

novocain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 05:46 PM

academic: read papers, write hw, some scientific software (matlab...), and plan to learn Latex

entertain: music, movie, web design...

Leo the 3rd
Oct 5, 2004, 07:04 PM

Is use most of the apps in Macromedia's suite for web design. Otherwise it's the Net, chatting, iTunes and Quicktime trailers of upcoming movies.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 07:04 PM

I use mine predominantly for comparative genomics research and developing information management systems for genome projects.

writing papers: LaTex, Word, Endnote

analysis: r, blat, blast, pipmaker, gene prediction alogrithms like fgenesh and genefinder, hmmer, etc

development, all in xemacs usually: Perl, C/C++, Java, Javascript

Apple's tools: XCode, Interface Builder

databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, custom DBMSs

Oh yeah, and iTunes, iMovie, iDVD. All work and no play...

j0nkatz
Oct 5, 2004, 08:37 PM

pr0n!!!!

Lots and lots of pr0n!!!!!!

senon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by riverfreak:
I use mine predominantly for comparative genomics research and developing information management systems for genome projects.

writing papers: LaTex, Word, Endnote

analysis: r, blat, blast, pipmaker, gene prediction alogrithms like fgenesh and genefinder, hmmer, etc

development, all in xemacs usually: Perl, C/C++, Java, Javascript

Apple's tools: XCode, Interface Builder

databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, custom DBMSs

Oh yeah, and iTunes, iMovie, iDVD. All work and no play...
Wow, you really use powerbook extensively.
I am wondering what kind of powerbook you use to complete the above task successfully. It will be helpful to me if you tell me the real spec. of your powerbook.

Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 09:46 PM

I am a middle school teacher....I use mine (15" 1.5ghz) for numerous things on an average day.

Email (Entourage)
Word processing (WOrd)
SPreadsheets (Excel)
Database creation (Filemaker)
Video editing with students (Final Cut Express/iMovie)
Grades (EZ GRade Pro)
Downloading web content (Safari, SNAPZ)
Presentations (Keynote , Powerpoint)
Digital photo storage (iPhoto)
Createing photo Cards (iPhoto and Econ Tech - Portraits and Prints)
itunes
Unit and Lesson Planning (Notebook)
Web Design (Dreamweaver)

I am not sure I am a true Power User....but I just love the Powerbook....I have had it for 3 months and it has all but replaced my desktop machine.... (G$ 450mhz). My wife is a teacher....she has a 12", MY son is in College and he has a 15" like mine, and my daughter is in high school and she has a G4 flat panel iMac....that does not even include the Retired 6400 and PB 3400....I have done my part to increase or maintain Apple's product share in the market!

naknek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 11:56 PM

I've got a 12-inch Rev. B 1GHz with 768 MB of RAM, and I use it every day for web development. Most commonly I use Safari, Firefox, Thunderbird, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Photoshop, Excel, and CocaMySQL. I keep local backups of my sites and test them in my PB's Apache/PHP/MySQL installation.

I also do a couple large catalogs every year (getting ready to do the annual 320 pager), which I do in InDesign, Photoshop and Freehand. And of course the fun stuff (iPhoto, iTunes, MacMAME), iChat fairly frequently, and Skype (a new addition which will save me a bundle on cell phone bills).

Also I use VPN and the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client to tunnel into my employer's Windows 2000 server for admin tasks on occasion, and I use Virtual PC to run Quickbooks (for compatibility with my company's system).

I purchased the 12-inch for portability, realizing I would probably sacrifice some performance, but I've been very impressed with performance overall. Of course I wouldn't mind if it were faster sometimes for the graphics editing, but I'm always amazed at its stability with everything I throw at it, and with its excellent power management. I routinely have 10 or so apps running, regulary shut the lid in the middle of everything as I move from one location to another, and it all comes back instantly when I open the lid later.

Once recently I was working at night and got the low battery warning, so I just shut the lid and then realized I had left my power adapter at the office. The next morning, the sleep light was still throbbing, so I just plugged it in when I got to the office, opened the lid, and was right back where I left off. And with all the demands I've made on the PB with 10-12 hours of use almost every day, I've only had to reboot from a crash (kernel panic) ONCE in the entire year I've had it.

csean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Well, I make my living using my powerbook. I am a freelance translator.
Hey Icruise,
Very similar situation here in Italy for me. Translation work arrives via email as Word/Powerpoint/Excel attachment, then I make a copy of the file and work with 2 pages side by side. Got a TiBook 550 (cheap) in order to have more screen real estate for the 2-page layout. Often work at home on a 2-monitor setup: TiBook + 19" Samsung CRT. Having a Superdrive in the TiBook has been handy at times, as I've burned larger projects to DVD for clients at their offices. They were impressed by the high tech coming out of a lowly translator ;-)
Obviously the web is a great boon for translators, as you can find not only bilingual dictionaries, but also the words or phrases you need in the specific context you're looking for. Great having Airport in the TiBook for wi-fi hotspots on the road.
I've also used several specialized bilingual dictionaries on CD when traveling, even though they're only available in Windows (Win 98 or 2000), and here I've used Virtual PC 2, 3 and 5, which run okay on the TiBook with 768MB RAM.
In short, the TiBooks are fantastic for people who need to work in a 2-page layout.
Chris

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2004, 05:28 AM

I'm a freelancer. I run my business and largely my private life from the comfort of my 15" Powerbook. It's the latest model with all the extra bits (I'm on my 3rd in 3 years)

I use mine for (in order of hours spent / day)

Programming in XCode (see this and this)
Browsing in Safari
Building web pages in SubEthaEdit & CSSEdit (see these)
Managing awful Windows servers with Remote Desktop Connection
Image organising in iPhoto and editing in Photoshop
Reading in Mail & NetNewsWire
Chatting in Adium
Scheduling & organising with iCal, Sticky Notes & OmniOutliner
Uploading with Transmit & ImageWell

There are of course others...

-mrwalker

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2004, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by j0nkatz:
pr0n!!!!

Lots and lots of pr0n!!!!!!
finally, an honest apple user .. haha =P

baglunch
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2004, 09:45 AM

Aside from basic word processing, email and websurfing I use my 17" powerbook for video editing, motion graphics, print graphics, web development and design.

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2004, 10:01 AM

Hmm,

I use it as a remote console for Linux clusters. ( CERN and NTNU)

Use Lyx and Latex on it.

To play music from iTunes.

xgrid.

Photos.

Photoshop.

For artwork (hobby)

Games.

Many of the same things I used the PC.

The upgrade from PC is that the sleep function works, and I reboot the computer every 1 month. I can work with the screen, the PC laptop, a Compaq, had very good resolution but tired out my eyes.
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

WaterTower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 03:01 PM

Engineer on Windows by day, Hack artist on Apple by night...

iLife is practically only reason needed to Switch, and the Rev C. 12" with 768 MB RAM is yet to fail me in video production (iMovie for friends weddings, music video's, etc) which I am sharpening my skills at before my wife and I move to Australia en route to traveling around the world. My plan is to burn up DVD's in lieu of postcards to send to friends and family.

So far, its become the vault of our personal lives, all the music, recipes, emails, addresses, photos (!!), finances, are stashed on there and VERY mobile.

One plug: Salling clicker with a second hand bluetooth phone is MOST EXCELLENT. Mossberg's complaint about Airport Express disappears, or course, so does the need for airport express if you just hook the laptop directly to the stereo...

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by senon:
Wow, you really use powerbook extensively.
I am wondering what kind of powerbook you use to complete the above task successfully. It will be helpful to me if you tell me the real spec. of your powerbook.
Hey Senon -

I have a 1 GHz Titanium, 60GB drive, 1 GB RAM. This is the bare minimum. The processor is sufficiently fast for most jobs - I do test runs of pipelines on the laptop but farm out big jobs to clusters once I know the code and analysis is working.

1 GB of RAM will get you through but things are going to slow to a crawl if you start using integrated tools that have lots of parallel steps. I'd opt for anything that can take more than 1 GB of ram. I think the Aluminums can handle 2 GB.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2004, 03:54 PM

The 15s and 17s can take 2GB.

What do I use my PowerBook for? What don't I use it for? I use it for design and layout, professionally and free-lance (PhotoShop, InDesign, Quark and a little Illustrator are the usual suspects) I use Word for writing stories and columns.
I manage most of my life with it, e-mail, handling photos and video, my .mac site (partitioned off, half for personal/family/fun stuff, half for professional work, clips, samples, c/v, etc). There's playing games, surfing (for relaxation and research), tweaking the Gui stuff. Using iTunes and hooking up the keyboard with GarageBand and making some music. Keeping in contact with family and friends far away via e-mail and Chat. Next, I want to play around with streaming stuff from the cable box to the PB.
And since it's a 17, I even get a little exercise carrying it to the living room, or maybe out on the balcony so I can do a little work/surfing while looking out at the pool.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:13 PM

12" = travel computer
when ever i'm on the road and need to throw down some code or update my website.

also for chatting and web browsing when i'm watching a movie or playing a game on my g5.

when i'm in bed and see something on tv or think of something i wanna check out i'll just grab my pb rather then wake up my g5.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 06:23 PM

Powerbook users of the world unite! Everyone is all over the board I see. When it comes to me.

I used my Powerbook for:
video editing (final cut express) FCP I am on my way
photo editing etc (iPhoto) I love this program
score creation (Logic)
e-mail (entoruage)
web browsing (firefox, camino, safari)
screenwriting (Final Draft)
musicals (Final Draft AV)
novels, shorts (Movie Magic)
story creation (Dramatica Pro) Thank you for making a version for Mac OS X finally
power moving (iChat) The ability to archive online chats is a plus�.
Basic animation / 3D (Bryce, Poser) Yeah Maya is better but I cannot afford it!
dealing with the masses (Virtual PC) some people will never learn
to combat the stress of working in a windows environment via Virtual PC (iTunes) Linkin Park take me away����.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:

exercising

(okay, made that last one up)
And click and click. Work that finger.

ohh almost forgot the best way to make money would be to get lots of advertisements from add company's to stick on your site and they will pay you by the hit then to get lots of visitors you put the word "p0rn" the same color as the background.
( Last edited by macaddict0001; Oct 7, 2004 at 07:06 PM. )

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 10:25 AM

I use it for:
Video editing (FinalCut Pro)
Compositing (After Effects)
Music (GarageBand)

and a substitue for my clunky old PC at work.

Drawohon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 11:05 AM

Hi everyone.

I bought my PowerBook only 3 days before the revision C was released. I felt a bit short changed at the time, because of that, but am still very happy with my purchase. It is a classy machine and compliments my parent's 1ghz eMac very well.

I use it for the internet and microsoft word mostly, and iTunes with my iPod. I opted for a laptop computer because I like to be able to take it to friend's houses etc... much easier than lugging around a desktop which i did many a time with my old Windows PC. (eck! lol). So I use it for transfering files a lot too. I also play a few games, such as SimCity 4 and Age of Empires II.
PowerBook 12" 1ghz 768mb 40gb Super
Drive (rev. B). 20gb iPod (G3) :)

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 12:02 PM

School.
Webpage.
Multi-media.
Photos.
Games.
Surfing.
Life.