Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ATI EyeTV Wonder vs. EyeTV USB ?

ATI EyeTV Wonder vs. EyeTV USB ?
badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 05:44 PM

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01...nder/index.php

is there a reason why this device won't have the video latency (so that it will be able to be used for gaming consoles on the mac) ...... and the original EyeTV USB DOES have latency?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01...nder/index.php

is there a reason why this device won't have the video latency (so that it will be able to be used for gaming consoles on the mac) ...... and the original EyeTV USB DOES have latency?
Just a guess, but I don't think this will have latency. It doesn't encode video unless recording. And when you encode it is all done with the Mac processor.

-matt

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
Just a guess, but I don't think this will have latency. It doesn't encode video unless recording. And when you encode it is all done with the Mac processor.

-matt

the new ATI EyeTV Wonder won't have latency when you use the analog inputs [or @ least that's what i got from the clip]...

my comparison is with the eyetv USB , which DOES have latency [i personally haven't tried, but that's from what I"ve read] .... even though you use the analog inputs. ....

???

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 06:49 PM

The link you give says it clearly, "EyeTV Wonder features a 125-channel analog TV tuner and an S-Video and composite video input that can connect to cable television, VCRs and gaming consoles." So unless they are wrong this looks like a nice product. I happen to have the eye-tv usb and the ATI remote wonder and love them both.

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2005, 07:19 PM

I wonder when/if there will be a version that supports cable cards.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
The link you give says it clearly, "EyeTV Wonder features a 125-channel analog TV tuner and an S-Video and composite video input that can connect to cable television, VCRs and gaming consoles." So unless they are wrong this looks like a nice product. I happen to have the eye-tv usb and the ATI remote wonder and love them both.

I know that it supports gaming consoles.

my question is WHY does this support it while the EyeTV USB does not?

[from a technical standpoint]

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 11, 2005, 08:17 PM

Because of the latency! You can't play games when there's a 1/2 second delay between what happens and when you see it.

tooki

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by badtz:
I know that it supports gaming consoles.

my question is WHY does this support it while the EyeTV USB does not?

[from a technical standpoint]
Another guess is that the ATI EyeTV Wonder uses USB2 as its transport method, whereas the original EyeTV USB uses only the original USB standard. The bandwidth for transferring information (read video) across USB2 is much greater...
Just a thought...

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Because of the latency! You can't play games when there's a 1/2 second delay between what happens and when you see it.

tooki
i KNOW there's latency .... my question is WHY is it present on the EyeTV USB and NOT on the ATI EyeTV Wonder.....?

Dalhectar
Jan 11, 2005, 11:38 PM

Could be software vs hardware encoding.

Could be that the EyeTV software as part of its DVR functionality records everything to HD, so it can pause live TV. The writing to the hard drive could also add in latency.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by Dalhectar:
Could be software vs hardware encoding.

Could be that the EyeTV software as part of its DVR functionality records everything to HD, so it can pause live TV. The writing to the hard drive could also add in latency.
EyeTV USB also has the ability to stream video from analog [composite] inputs .....

?

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2005, 07:41 PM

The USB wonder doesn't have latency because it doesn't encode the video. The EyeTV USB actually encodes all incoming video and stores it on your hard drive. This way you can always pause and rewind, because video is stored on disc. With the wonder it's just using your Mac's monitor to display the video. You can record if you want, and that would cause latency because encoding the video takes a bit of time.

-matt

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
The USB wonder doesn't have latency because it doesn't encode the video. The EyeTV USB actually encodes all incoming video and stores it on your hard drive. This way you can always pause and rewind, because video is stored on disc. With the wonder it's just using your Mac's monitor to display the video. You can record if you want, and that would cause latency because encoding the video takes a bit of time.

-matt
thanks. exactly the answer i was looking for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules