Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Laundry... Did You Leave It In Your Jeans Pocket?

Laundry... Did You Leave It In Your Jeans Pocket?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 05:23 AM

I just had like my fourth scare where I'm in the middle of doing my laundry and suddenly ask myself, "Where's my mini" I look around. Don't see it on the desk. Realize all my pants are in the washer... and suddenly it hits me... IS IT IN THE WASHER!? Fortunately I have yet to be stupid enough to put it through the wash... that said I've done it with my wallet so I don't put it past myself... has this ever scared you?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 06:08 AM

I'm sure some idiot will wash the iPod shuffle then bitch about it being Apple's fault.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nerd
Senior User
Jan 16, 2005, 11:58 AM

I've washed many flash drives in the past. They did work after making it all the way through the dry cycle. If I had the Shuffle that would for sure fall victim.

Brad

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I'm sure some idiot will wash the iPod shuffle then bitch about it being Apple's fault.
Are you trying to say it wouldn't be Apple's fault!

I assume the shuffle is smash, water, heat, and bullet proof.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2005, 08:47 AM

Well, some people end up in swimming pools with their digital cameras, so problems of this nature have been around for a long time.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2005, 09:12 AM

The worst is when you lose something like the iPod shuffle in the laundry; however, you also lose that crisp $100 bill that would have paid for a replacement.

D'oh!

Dalhectar
Jan 19, 2005, 11:43 AM

Will the iPod shuffle be as resistant as other flash memory products or since it's a mp3 player with other components, will it not be as resistant?

My flash stick has been in the laundry like 7-10 times, and it works without a hitch. Will the iPod mini take similar abuse, or is it less resilient. Now I don't plan on washing it, but I was curious if you were outside with it on the armband and it started to rain or something...

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
The worst is when you lose something like the iPod shuffle in the laundry; however, you also lose that crisp $100 bill that would have paid for a replacement.

D'oh!
You can used a washed $100 bill too... I mean it won't be crisp, but you can use it.

Money is made out of a fabric material, not paper Well real money at least.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 21, 2005, 01:35 AM

The question about the shuffle is a good one. Hell, I drop my Flash drive in the wash whenever it starts getting all dirty from being on my work keychain. Anyone wanna drop their shuffle in the wash to find out?
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 23, 2005, 12:14 AM

About a month after the iPod mini came out, someone here on MacNN actually posted that his girlfriend (who did his laundry despite his request that she not do so) ran his new mini through the wash and dryer.

No, it didn't survive, and yes, she got him a new one.

tooki

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2005, 12:22 AM

I would expect a shuffle to be damaged more than a flash drive. The shuffle has a battery in it. Detergent + water + battery = electrolytic and electrical activity. That's bad news compared to just getting wet but electrically inactive. I don't think dryer temperatures are good lithium batteries either.

mskblackbelt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2005, 02:15 PM

So do we get to hear about it when someone finally does this? Whether it is accidental, or merely out of curiosity, this would be really nice to know. Another question about that is about the Apple sport case. Supposedly that is water resistant, and I'd like to know if that could handle a wash cycle. Does anyone have it, to where they can describe how it works? I'd like to know how the headphones attach, and whether or not you need to remove it from the case to sync it with a computer. I'm sure that the dry cycle would be horrible for the battery if your dryer puts out more than about 105? air.
I can picture a world without war, a world
without hate. And I can picture us attacking
it because they'd never expect it.
- Jack Handy

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2005, 09:20 PM

Dryer heat will cause the battery to blow up, no it won't blow your machine up, but it'll leave a mess on whatever laundry is in there
Aloha

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 04:51 AM

My first gen 5 Gig ipod took a dip in the swimming pool, and it still works fine. The battery shorted, and needed to be replaced, but that was only ~$25 and 20 minutes of my labor.

superhero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 09:06 PM

i can, sadly, confirm that iPod Shuffles no longer work after going through the laundry. i can, at the same time, confirm that i am in fact a retard.

Abit667
Forum Regular
May 14, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
My first gen 5 Gig ipod took a dip in the swimming pool, and it still works fine. The battery shorted, and needed to be replaced, but that was only ~$25 and 20 minutes of my labor.
How long was it in the water, and did it go all the way under? The hds, at least the ones I've see all have those breather holes on them, I'm surprised it didn't get any water in there if it was really underwater.

crooner
Senior User
May 15, 2005, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by superhero
i can, sadly, confirm that iPod Shuffles no longer work after going through the laundry. i can, at the same time, confirm that i am in fact a retard.
LMAO!

Oh, man. That made my day. Thanks. You are my hero, superhero.

On another note, there was a story on the Mac web about some kid that ran his 'Pod though the washer and it sort of exploded when he tried to use it.
No one got hurt, thankfully, which makes it all the easier to laugh about. The moral to be learned? Don’t submerge your iPod in liquid. Very bad.
( Last edited by crooner; May 15, 2005 at 03:48 AM. Reason: I'm a perfectionist.)

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 15, 2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
...Realize all my pants are in the washer...
LOL, just wondering how long it took you to realize that... you weren't wearing anything... at least no pants. And iPod minis don't go too well together with kilts or skirts without pockets, do they?

OK, what have we learned till now from this thread?
- Don't leave ANY iPod in your pants when not wearing them
- Don't let your girlfriend do your laundry
- No swimming with iPods or digital cameras
- Money IS INDEED washable
- Dirty shuffles don't mind a ride in the washer
- Regular and mini iPods DO mind a ride in the washer

Just curious what else is gonna surface here...
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2005, 10:42 AM

I washed a dime bag once.

I was going to throw it out, but my roommate dried and smoked it.

There is a reason they call it dope.

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
May 16, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassadeur
LOL, just wondering how long it took you to realize that... you weren't wearing anything... at least no pants. And iPod minis don't go too well together with kilts or skirts without pockets, do they?

OK, what have we learned till now from this thread?
- Don't leave ANY iPod in your pants when not wearing them
- Don't let your girlfriend do your laundry
- No swimming with iPods or digital cameras
- Money IS INDEED washable
- Dirty shuffles don't mind a ride in the washer
- Regular and mini iPods DO mind a ride in the washer

Just curious what else is gonna surface here...
But shuffle's do mind a ride in teh washer...More accurately...USB Flash Drives don't mind being washed.
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cheetah223
But shuffle's do mind a ride in teh washer...More accurately...USB Flash Drives don't mind being washed.
Of course you're right. It's the shuffles' lanyard caps that fancy the rides in the washer. The part with the battery in it is the one that's rather staying dirty.

milhous
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 06:58 AM

i accidentally left my 32mb keychain drive in the wash with my pants and was wondering where it was. then i found, all soaking wet after the wash was done. I cracked the case open and let it dry for about a week or so. plugged it in voila! good stuff.

so long as the device isn't powered while it gets wet, you've got a decent chance of getting it work.
F = ma

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 05:58 PM

Australian currency is washable - got to admire a country that makes their money tear and wash-resistant .

Many digicams have underwater cases for scuba diving/snorkelling. I'm sure they can make those for the iPod, just for falling into swimming pools I guess .

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by molala
Many digicams have underwater cases for scuba diving/snorkelling. I'm sure they can make those for the iPod, just for falling into swimming pools I guess .
You mean something like the H2O Audio SV-iP4G Underwater Housing? It even comes with waterproof earphones, so your tunes go diving with you, or surfing, or whereever you find enough water to submerge them!

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 09:32 AM

thanks for the link! that is a very tempting product to get. not enough depth to go diving with, but seems great for swimming, snorkelling, surfing or just sitting under the pool. now i'd like to know if anyone has put one through a laundry test .

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 10:36 AM

thanks for the link! that is a very tempting product to get. not enough depth to go diving with, but seems great for swimming, snorkelling, surfing or just sitting under the pool. now i'd like to know if anyone has put one through a laundry test .
I assume it must be an awesome experience listening to music while snorkling or swimming. Would feel like in a movie where all the action is always accompanied by some background score

So that would be classical music while snorkling over a reef full of colorful fish and pounding beats while doing your laps or wildwater-rafting

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 12:37 PM

long distance swimmers/triathletes use them for long training sessions.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 08:28 PM

hell, it'd be damn handy when it's hosing down and you're heading out training on a bike, jogging, or other ostensibly water-free sports. damn tempting...

sminch

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 05:22 AM

is it light saber proof?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

larry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2006, 02:18 PM

My wife washed her 20GB 4G ipod last week. I enjoyed reading this thread. Misery loves company.

Straight out of the washing machine, the ipod screen would show various random horizontal lines upon holding the reset button. Nothing more. Blowin into the dock connector port pushed air and water out of the headphone jack and created condensation on the inside of the screen.

A couple of hours later, the backlight came fully on, and I got the Apple logo, but nothing more. I began laying out my upgrade path: "Dear, all they make now are USB 2.0-syncing ipods, so when we get the new ipod, we'll need to get a new G5 as well. Won't it be nice when the girls have the eMac all to themselves?"

Two days ago: iPod is mostly unresponsive, but for some reason will CONSISTENTLY play the Grateful Dead, Cornell 77, third set. I'm not kidding. Other selections hang and the hard drive makes terrible noises, but that one album plays straight through. I've always said that it's the one cassette I'd take to a desert island...and now i have the most expensive casette of the show in existence. I can live with that.

Yesterday: Cornell 77 stops responding, and the sad ipod, "call support" icon shows up (first time, BTW). I buy my wife a 30GB w/video, tell her it's "DRY CLEAN ONLY" and load it up over USB 2 via my work laptop connected to our external HD (where the music is).

This morning: With a new ipod in the house, I decide to crack open the deceased ipod for fun. Fascinating how they pack everything into such a tight space! fold it all back into place, push play...and it comes right on, with no sign of hard drive noises whatsoever, no sad ipod icon, and total responsiveness from the click wheel!

I've erased, reformatted, and reloaded via FW through the emac. It's working perfectly.

I swear I'm telling the truth, with no embellishments whatsoever.

Pogomwg
Jan 23, 2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
is it light saber proof?
Thats not the real question. The true question is, Is it chuck norris round house kick proof?
iBook G4 1.42 60GB 768mb. G5 iPod Video White 30 Gig.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 24, 2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pogomwg
Thats not the real question. The true question is, Is it chuck norris round house kick proof?
Nothing is.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2006, 08:51 AM

Larry, electronic devices are devious and mischevious. The old iPod was just waiting for a coconspirator to show up. Once it did, the old one had to make you think you were actually doing something or its grand scheme would be exposed. They're out to take over the world you know...

Anyway, keep up the "Dry Clean Only" stuff-I'm sure it will be a useful consideration to keep in mind.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2006, 09:59 AM

I've washed and dried my earbuds once (maybe twice, I can't remember) and they still work.

EDIT: Left one is going out.......
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Jan 25, 2006 at 09:54 PM. )

tabmow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 09:11 PM

anybody know what happens when you drown a nano???
yesturday i was in school and i always keep my nano with me. well, it was in my backpack and little did i know that i forgot to push down the top to my water bottle. the water leaked in my backpack and destroyed everything (including my 1 month old nano). i put it in my locker for the rest of the day and didn't touch it. i then brought it home and tried hooking it up to my computer...nothing happened. let it sit out all night and all today in the sun. i plugged it in just a few minutes ago and the apple logo appeared and after a few moments the backlight went on and the sad ipod icon came up. that's all it will do now. hopefully in a few days it will work again.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2006, 03:46 AM

Australian currency is washable - got to admire a country that makes their money tear and wash-resistant .
Ah... but can the dollar notes then survive ironing?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2006, 08:09 AM

ahhh, but is the Shuffle sepaku proof? I am off to find some samurai. Maybe they will be able to test this for me.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 27, 2006, 11:45 AM

Unless you give some Australian currency to a 7th grade class. My father has been to Australia numerous times, and so I decided to bring some of their currency to my 7th grade class (back in 1999) for a "show and tell" type of thing. The class was sitting in a circle and I passed around everything that I had - and sure enough, by the time the money had made it all the way around the circle - two of my Australian 10 dollar bills had been ripped in half. Bastards. The whole class had detention that day - because the numbskull who executed the maneuver wouldn't fess up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules