Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > CD directly to iPod + another question

CD directly to iPod + another question
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2005, 08:07 PM

Hi all,
just got my first iPod...a 40 gig one. I have a big collection of CDs that I'm going to transfer to it. My question is, is there a way to put a CD directly on the iPod without using iTunes? If not, I have another question. I have an old G3 with a rather small harddrive, so I wouldn't be able to fit all of my CDs on iTunes at once. When I sync the iPod, does it merely add any songs that weren't on it before, or does it synchronize it perfectly? I ask, because I'm gonna have to do this in stages, but I don't want each sync to delete any songs I had on it before. Thanks!

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by JazzCatDRP:
Hi all,
just got my first iPod...a 40 gig one. I have a big collection of CDs that I'm going to transfer to it. My question is, is there a way to put a CD directly on the iPod without using iTunes?
Yes, but you won't be able to listen to it on the iPod (do it via drag/drop in HD mode).
If not, I have another question. I have an old G3 with a rather small harddrive, so I wouldn't be able to fit all of my CDs on iTunes at once. When I sync the iPod, does it merely add any songs that weren't on it before, or does it synchronize it perfectly? I ask, because I'm gonna have to do this in stages, but I don't want each sync to delete any songs I had on it before. Thanks!
By default it will sync and delete the previous. You can switch the setting to manually manage your playlists and you'll be able to delete songs in iTunes and leave them on the iPod.

I don't recommend this because the iPod could get damaged via an error or dropping, and you'd lose all your music you spent so much time ripping.

Go buy a bigger HD for your G3. They're cheap now and it will save you a bunch of hassle in the long run. Use your 40GB iPod to back up what you have now, so you can easily trasfer it back to the new HD.

juusan
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 07:57 PM

I agree, go buy a larger drive for your G3. make sure that you're familiar with your particular model's drive limitations... or you may spend a ton on a 120GB drive, of which your computer will only be able to see 40GB.

and no, there's no way to drag your cd music to your ipod and still be able to play the files. one note: when you DO import the files, import then as 192 bit mp3s. apple's aac format may take up less room, but you'll have issues moving the files around due to the "authorization process."
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

Dalhectar
Jan 30, 2005, 10:37 PM

I don't think there's any authorization for AAC files that are ripped from a CD. Only from AACs purchased from iTMS which include Fairplay.

juusan
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 10:43 PM

I've run into issues with aacs I've ripped from my own cds... when moving them from one computer to another, I get the infamous "you are not authorized to play these blah blah blah" error.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by juusan:
I've run into issues with aacs I've ripped from my own cds... when moving them from one computer to another, I get the infamous "you are not authorized to play these blah blah blah" error.
I'm calling you a liar. That's right, a liar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules