Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Flying with a laptop (in the USA)

Flying with a laptop (in the USA)
Cybersparrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2007, 06:13 PM

I'm flying out to visit my parents soon. I'm bringing along my new MacBook so I can get some schoolwork done while I'm there. Do you guys have any tips for getting through security with as little hassle as possible? Also, do they even let you actually use a laptop on a plane anymore?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2007, 06:31 PM

Try going to the TSA web site and searching for "laptop." There's a lot of good information to prepare you for your screening on it.

And yes, once the plane is at altitude, you can use your laptop.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2007, 07:05 PM

There should be very little hassle bringing a laptop through. Just make sure it's out of the bag and by itself in one of the bins they give you to pass stuff through the xray. They don't make you turn them on anymore.

As for using it on the plane that's allowed as well but you will have to turn it off during ascent and descent.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 07:07 PM

* Get it out of its carry case when you get to the baggage / metal detector check, since it has to go through the scanner thing alone.
* Turn off WiFi
* Be prepared for people to feel free to watch whatever you're doing on your laptop while you're flying.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2007, 07:22 PM

Does anyone know if it is better to actually turn off the laptop when the laptop goes through the scanner? I never turn off my laptop, I just put it on sleep. I wonder if it could harm the laptop in anyway
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2007, 07:48 PM

Turning the computer off is not necessary.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 01:30 PM

Yes it is. It should be completely off. Depending on the airport, they'll make you turn it off and rescan it if it's on.

ibook_steve
Nov 10, 2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Yes it is. It should be completely off. Depending on the airport, they'll make you turn it off and rescan it if it's on.
Can you name an airport? I've been flying all over the US recently and this hasn't been the case anywhere.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'm an airline pilot. I fly all over the United States. I never shutdown my computer, it always sleeps. I've never had any data loss. I also have never run across an airport that asked me to turn the computer off. In fact, the opposite (that they want to see the machine operate) is more likely, but I've never had them ask that either.

Chris

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Can you name an airport? I've been flying all over the US recently and this hasn't been the case anywhere.

Steve
DEN, COS
Colorado Springs is always picky as heck though, Denver can be too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 12:27 PM

I've taken my notebook on about 12 plane flights this past year. They've never asked me to turn it off. Not in Tampa, Houston, Memphis, Toronto, or Dallas. Airports may vary from place to place about little things, though. Even individual employees seem to have little picky "issues."

If you're in Washington D.C., you have to have your computer on and show them that it "works" by moving the mouse around and clicking on something before they'll let you in almost any building. It gets annoying.

ibook_steve
Nov 11, 2007, 01:46 PM

I've been at Denver and Colorado Springs and never had a problem. Just left my MBP in sleep and put it in a separate bin.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2007, 02:58 PM

I'm based out of Denver and have never seen them ask to have a computer turned off.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 11, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've taken my notebook on about 12 plane flights this past year. They've never asked me to turn it off. Not in Tampa, Houston, Memphis, Toronto, or Dallas. Airports may vary from place to place about little things, though. Even individual employees seem to have little picky "issues."

If you're in Washington D.C., you have to have your computer on and show them that it "works" by moving the mouse around and clicking on something before they'll let you in almost any building. It gets annoying.
I've found that they're FAR more careful in D.C. than elsewhere, and that this was true long before 9/11. While I think that not having a completely scripted process that's identical everywhere is probably a good idea, it really doesn't help to have only one, really strict place.

But there's no reason for the computer to be off at any point if you don't want it off. Your wireless-YES! But the whole computer? No.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:06 PM

Yea, I have never had a problem sending my sleeping ibook through security. They never ask me to wake it up or turn it off.
I've been through just about every Chicago, DC and NY airport.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 01:15 PM

I'm in the DC area and I know Reagan and Dulles are strict when it comes to little things like turning on the laptop. Heck, when you fly in or out of Reagan, you can not use the bathroom for the first 30 mins departing or the last 30 mins when arriving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules