Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A unique Mac mini setup (pics)

A unique Mac mini setup (pics)
mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 01:20 PM

I managed to convince my high school to get a Mac mini for our tech booth (for sound only).
1.25 GHz, 512 mb, and an iMic for line in (to the mic screwed to the side of the sound rack) and out (to four huge speakers in the black box theater).

It was a huge upgrade and space-saver, replacing a big, loud, hot, and slow iMac G3.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2005, 02:14 PM

nice... thats cool of your high school to listen to the students on what to buy

misc
Apr 28, 2005, 05:31 PM

Sweet man. Is that a Mackie board? It looks like one, but the mute buttons (from that angle) look like an Allen and Heath. It's good to see young/fellow technicians!

Edit: The other pictures (the ones with the word MACKIE clearly visable) on the sound board kind of answer my own question.

When are my stars getting fixed?

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 12:09 AM

Nice job, that's awesome! That IS very great of your school to listen to students on what to get. Looks like you have a good school there, at least in the tech department.

Any recommendations on where to learn more about sound boards and setups like that? I would like to learn more about the setup at a low-power FM station I work at right now.

mrwilly123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 01:07 AM

Yep, misc, that's a Mackie.
We have a great theater department, not such a great tech department...

funkboy- I don't know where to learn more about sound boards and setups-I learned everything I know from just playing around with all the equipment I could get my hands on.

misc
Apr 29, 2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy
Any recommendations on where to learn more about sound boards and setups like that? I would like to learn more about the setup at a low-power FM station I work at right now.
Depending on who you talk to, you will get a different response on every sound board. Some are better for live work while some are better for recording studio work. The mackie's are known more for their studio work. Allen and Heath and Soundcraft make good (expensive) live boards. Contact me offlist for more information.

mrwilly123: It's really cool to see someone starting out the way I did. Four years ago I just got unleashed in our balcony and told to have fun. Hundreds of shows later I am working for a professional Lighting, Sound, Video, Drapery, and Staging company. Next fall I will be starting out at North Carolina School of the Arts for a BFA in Lighting Design and Technology

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

mrwilly123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 01:37 AM

Yeah, I love doing theater tech (lights, sound). It would be great to do it past high school. Hopefully I'm going to have some sort of job at a local theater this summer.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2005, 06:21 AM

Hope you get a security cable... it is a school afterall
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

misc
May 1, 2005, 11:25 AM

This was my view from behind the lighting board from Aida.

mrwilly123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 11:58 AM

I don't know where the security cable would attach-certainly not the wooden sound rack

yvovandoorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 06:31 PM

That would be a great accessory to make for the mac mini (a security cable). A definite necessity is that security cable. High school is a horrible place to have cool gadgets.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mrwilly123
I don't know where the security cable would attach-certainly not the wooden sound rack
It'd certainly be better than what you have now. Anything that discourages grab-n-run is a plus.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by yvovandoorn
That would be a great accessory to make for the mac mini (a security cable). A definite necessity is that security cable. High school is a horrible place to have cool gadgets.
This kind of thing already exists.
http://www.kensington.com/html/1434.html

You just pop it in the slot for it on the back of the mini.
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules