Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hard drive full

hard drive full
bmwparamedic
Sep 7, 2006, 11:54 AM

I just got a new mac black mac book. I put 13 gigs worth of music, photos and software it says i have 50 gb used and 24 gb free. I don't understand what can be taking up all this HD space. I already deleted garage band. Is there a program like in wondows uninstall that shows you what programs are taking up how much space, or a program which will scan my computer and remove the unwanted languages, someone please help. I've tryed searching but no results.

austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 01:28 PM

I had the same problem. My BlackBook only had about 55 gigs available on a 80GB drive. It's best to do a clean install of OSX and just install what you need. Fonts take up a lot of space. So do printer drivers. There's another post in there about it somewhere. If i find it, ill post a link. Hope this helped.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 7, 2006, 02:11 PM

I second that. GarageBand takes up a couple GB by itself, and the language files can take up to 2 GB as well. I took quite a bit of stuff off my iBook and freed up quite a bit of space.

For the localization files, there is an app called Delocalizer (Bombich Software: DeLocalizer) that will hunt your hard drive for localization files (i.e. files in languages other than US English) and remove them. There's a program that will, amongst other things, clear out extra unused print drivers (also about 1-2 GB) but I can't recall the name at the moment.

Note about Delocalizer: it's compatible up to OS X 10.2, but I've used it on 10.4.7 with no known trouble, but that's no guarantee.

bmwparamedic  (op)
Sep 7, 2006, 05:41 PM

awesome thanks guys

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2006, 10:30 PM

I would install OS X from scratch. Here are your culprits:

- iLife '06. That sucker eats ~ 10 GB and even more if you install GarageBand Jam Packs.
- Extra third-party application bundles.
- Extra fonts.
- Extra printer drivers.
- Extra languages.

About DeLocalizer: It's just a GUI wrapper for the following command that you can issue in Terminal. Bear in mind that if you update any application, including any OS X component through Software Update, you'll need to run it again.

Code:
sudo find / \( -name *.lproj -and \! \( -name English.lproj -or -name en.lproj \) \) -exec rm -rf \{\} \;
Note that the command is one line. And you can substitute English for any language.

bmwparamedic  (op)
Jan 14, 2008, 02:34 AM

Thats guys also just got a bigger HDD last month.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 12:08 AM

I recently freed up 4GB of space by removing all of the extra languages that I don't need with the following freeware:

Monolingual

bmwparamedic  (op)
Jan 15, 2008, 12:20 AM

I also ran xslimmer and monolingual (sp)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2008, 12:41 AM

Find out what is taking up space in your home directory with the following command:

du -d 1 -h ~

to do this on your entire system:

du -d 1 -h /

If you need a GUI for this, download Omnidisksweeper.

bmwparamedic  (op)
Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 AM

Thanks I really cleaned it up a while ago I just wanted to report my progress.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 03:28 AM

When you do a custom install you'll notice that you get over i gig of printer drivers! Most people only have one printer. Get rid.
Try a small app called whatsize (id-design, inc. | WhatSize). It will scan your disc and arrange files in size order so you can easily see those enormous piles of printer drivers and redundant garage band stuff. iDVD also has around 4 gigs of themes you can delete.

You will easily be able to strip around 10-15 gbs out of your Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules