Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > PowerBook G3/installing a Linux Distro

PowerBook G3/installing a Linux Distro
TC10284
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2007, 07:21 PM

Hey all,

I am new to these forums. First off, I'd like to say that yes, I am a hardcore PC guru, but I got some PowerBook G3's and some older laptops at a school auction and I'd LOVE to learn more about Mac's for personal reason and possibly for work reasons. So I hope you will give me a chance. Personally I have no bias. I'm the same way with Intel/AMD and ATI/Nvidia.

Anyway, The PB G3's are in good condition. I have two G3's and only one floppy/battery/CD-ROM drive/power adapter for both. Both have around 2GB HD's.
Both laptop HDs have been wiped clean with a data destruction program. Therefore, MacOS is not installed and I don't have a MacOS CD for the systems. I have been researching how to install a distro of Linux on to the G3's. All the guides I see say to press and hold C while the system powers on after hearing the Apple sound. I have the Linux CD in the CD drive and I hear the drive spin up but never see it read. I have tried this on both, but the only thing I can get is a flashing question mark in a floppy disk. I have tried Ubuntu 7.04 and Yellow Dog Linux 5.01, both for PowerPC arch.

Can anyone give me any assistance?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 27, 2007, 09:38 PM

You might want to try one of the Ubuntu Alternative Install CDs, which sometimes work better with older hardware. You might want to check the forums at Ubuntu.com, which will obviously be more Linux specific.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

TC10284  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 12:31 AM

Well, I'm mainly having trouble getting the system to boot from the CD. If I can get that, I can go from there. But right now I need help doing that, if you have any suggestions.

tavin64
Forum Regular
May 28, 2007, 05:14 AM

You using the Ubuntu Egdy PPC cd? Because for Feisty Canonical has stopped PPC support.

TC10284  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 08:58 AM

ubuntu-7.04-desktop-powerpc.iso

The other distros I'm trying are for the PowerPC arch also.

tavin64
Forum Regular
May 28, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by TC10284 View Post
ubuntu-7.04-desktop-powerpc.iso

The other distros I'm trying are for the PowerPC arch also.
If I were you I would go with Debian 4.0 PPC for your G3. Use the net-install cd and install base, desktop, and laptop packages in the installer. Debian offers better support for PPC than Ubuntu.

TC10284  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by tavin64 View Post
If I were you I would go with Debian 4.0 PPC for your G3. Use the net-install cd and install base, desktop, and laptop packages in the installer. Debian offers better support for PPC than Ubuntu.
Well I appreciate the suggestions, but I am still having trouble getting the system to boot from CD. I have to get it to do this before I can try any distro. I've tried holding C and ctrl-opt-shift-del but no luck =(

What else am I missing?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2007, 09:36 AM

Perhaps the machines have their firmware configured to not allow CD boot as a remaining vestige of being used in a classroom?

If so, this, of course, can be changed...

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by tavin64 View Post
You using the Ubuntu Egdy PPC cd? Because for Feisty Canonical has stopped PPC support.
Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 02:11 AM

PPC support in Ubuntu has been moved to Community support, but it is still very much there.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2007, 06:24 PM

Do you have a Mac OS disc around? It would be worth trying to verify the optical drive will boot something.

dynamic_compga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2007, 09:49 PM

I was in the same boat. Picked up an iMac G3 at a school liquidation. I had OS8.5 installed and no other software, so I was looking to put Linux on the machine. Problem was, it only had 64MB of RAM. There was a slot to add an additional chip so I put in a 256 MB PC100 SODIMM. Then I could install Yellow Dog Linux 4.1. I'm still trying with other distros so I can get flash and java installed easier that the Fedora based YDL lets you. Besides that, it is running very well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules