Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Odd VPN / VNC issues

Odd VPN / VNC issues
azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 10:43 PM

This is not strictly a Mac question, but hopefully from a networking perspective, you guys can propose some ideas:

Background: I'm trying to set up my new Vista desktop to be accessible via VPN while I'm away, for the purposes of Samba shares and VNC control from my MacBook Pro while I'm at work.

I've got the main piece of the puzzle set up, in that Vista's PPTP VPN server is working with the Mac OS X client, through my Linksys router (port forwarding seems ok). However, the behavior of the subsequent "intranet" services depends on where I am:

When I borrow my neighbor's Wi-Fi and do a test VPN into my home machine, I can successfully:
- Access Samba shares
- Access VNC, with full viewing AND control
- Access the internet through MY internet connection (as expected, and as confirmed by sites like "whatismyip.com")

This verifies that my router port forwarding settings (VPN ports only!) are correct, and that the Windows machine's firewall is configured OK. But...

When I go to work (my intended usage scenario), two out of these three items break down:
- When I access VNC, the connection starts properly, and continues to update the view fine while its open, but although I am able to control the mouse POSITION, but clicks and keystrokes are not registered.
- My internet connection goes completely dead -- as in, I'm not using my work's connection OR tunneling through my home connection.

I'm a little confused as to what is different between using an external connection from my neighbors' place versus work --- but only enough to partially break my services.

Any ideas?
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules