Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 70)
andi*pandi
Mar 20, 2013, 01:10 PM

Care packages would be nice, even if there were a quest to find them.

Perhaps a larger town than in vanilla... with a large hub at the center. A dome? Common machines and resources live there.

8 large roads leading out in a spoke fashion, a circular interconnection of these every so often...

Rome.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 20, 2013 at 01:20 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 01:23 PM

Well if nothing else then I'd at least like to get my character ported over with an inventory of stuff, mostly because the idea of starting Thaumcraft research over again sounds just awful.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2013, 02:17 PM

My calculus long gone so someone else would need to figure out the circles, but we have 3 people so far? If you divide it into 8 then everyone can have a slice. If we get more than 8 people just have a second village. There is plenty of instant travel available.

The thaumcraft research results should be stored in a file somewhere. I managed to get basic flux last night after finding a swamp.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 02:39 PM

Wouldn't copying my player.dat file work? Or is Thaumcraft Research stored elsewhere?

Edit: A case of googling first asking questions later. It seems the latest versions of Thaumcraft save the research within the <player>.dat file so I should be all set.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 20, 2013, 04:11 PM

Submitted for your approval:

As Blaze already knows, I used to do quite a bit of gaming (the table-top variety) primarily as the game-master (or DM, or whatever you want to call it). As such, basic work setup is pretty fun for me. Let's see what everyone thinks of this idea:

First, I'm going to base the logic on 8 players in the system. Granted, we only have 4 or 5 right now ( Andi, Blaze, Sek, possibly Dakar, and myself) but I like to leave options open. Besides, 8 is an easy number to work with.

Second, I'd rather do something like a city as opposed to a dome or a skyscraper or whatnot. With a city, we can have several structures for different purposes. Personally, I'd like to start the city with a more medieval/renaissance look then branch out with more modern looking structures as we expand.

Third, a dedicated rail station that intentionally branches out north/south/east/west with set lines so we can expand intelligently as resources run low.

thoughts?

(server update: should have it testable by later this evening or tomorrow at the latest)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 04:25 PM

I envision myself as a worker drone (or doozer from Fraggle rock if you will) mining and crafting away whilst the aesthetics and city planning is done by others. This is why it's a shame Dakar seems to be washing his hands with MC because he'd be a perfect candidate for city planner/design guru. My first overall goal is to get a Quarry up and running, preferably hidden from view as to not ruin the landscape. However, let it be known that the Diamond spawn rate has been drastically lowered, so finding excess Diamonds is not going to be easy.

As I said before I think we should collaborate for as long as possible, instead of building a small town ala the old server and abandoning it almost immediately. The rail station can be the central hub of the town. As of right now we only have 4 people who are going to be regulars so each of us can take a cardinal direction. Either that or I envision a "Main Street" lined with buildings on either side that ends at the Station. Of course if we're going Medieval then maybe the Rail Station can be the Lord's Castle, which could also house any number of services.

Two buildings right off the bat will be the Workshop and Apothecary (Thaumcraft) buildings. We should also start thinking about getting Railcraft up and running ASAP.

Any thoughts of transferring my player.dat file over? I know I'm being a pain in the ass here but I have made myself a good little car package we can all dip into right off the bat. Gem Tools and one stack of all the major Ores, not to mention basic machine and power setup we can feed our mining expeditions into.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2013, 04:27 PM

To me, washing my hands implies disgust. I walk away more out of boredom.

Anyway, I figure you guys would be happy not to have my overbearing perfectionism and presevational instincts overshadowing creative endeavors.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2013, 04:27 PM

To me, washing my hands implies disgust. I walk away more out of boredom.

Anyway, I figure you guys would be happy not to have my overbearing perfectionism and presevational instincts overshadowing creative endeavors.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 04:47 PM

I guess you could say I'm washing my hands of you then...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I guess you could say I'm washing my hands of you then...
That explain your absence on BF3 you son of a

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2013, 06:12 PM

Well since it's going to be abandoned I made a humorous surprise at the spawn on the tekkit map and only one person has found it. I know Andi will love it.

I'd suggest farm, ranch, power plant, workshop, Apothecary, rail station/portal hub, super market, warehouse. In that order.

The flux is going to be so bad with multiple people using it in one spot.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 06:42 PM

If we want to get into the bees there is a variety that cleans flux, though getting to that breed probably requires a ton of work.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 20, 2013, 07:03 PM

OK, here's where we stand:
1- server is up and in testing. Since this is a re-purposed box the install is new but I suspect the 4gb of memory will need updated. OTOH, it's running fine so far.
2- the default map the server started with has spawn in the middle of a snowfield. not sure I like that so experimenting with other maps
3- when the time comes, everyone is welcome to give me a player file. I"ll have an ftp site up for it shortly.

If testing goes well, you'll see a link here later tonight. Expect some rough patches as I get everything fine-tuned.

cycl0pse

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 07:22 PM

Excellent news, I am bursting with excitement!

Also, you might want to PM the server link instead of posting it here, bad people lurk everywhere.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 20, 2013, 08:55 PM

stress testing is open for business. cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25565

let me know what everyone thinks of the map.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 08:58 PM

logging on now...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 09:01 PM

Oops, I'm not on the whitelist

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2013, 09:33 PM

A question for the COOP FPS players out there. My experience has pretty much been with people in the same room. So best/easiest voice chat software?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 09:47 PM

I used skype frequently while playing DayZ, it worked well.

Lots of people use Teamspeak, including Direwolf.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 20, 2013, 09:56 PM

FYI: server test wasn't bad, but it's using a bit to much CPU. Java needs optimized. I'll let everyone know when it's back up for test #2

Update: OK, I did some java optimization. Blaze, prior it was eating 30% on idle. now....2%

It's up if anyone wants to look around the old users are whitelisted and I set the server to creative mode. look around and make sure you like the map: if not we'll try another seed.
(no sense buying the house if you hate the layout)

cycl0pse
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Mar 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2013, 11:17 PM

I'm boating out towards distant lands, saw a few neat locations but I think the current spawn is in a boring spot. I'll leave a portal from that treetop area we all went to where I end up so you can check it out.

I'm pretty partial to the Redwood Forests and Glaciers, but they aren't the best place to start a town, this area has a nice flat-ish regular forest as well.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 12:45 AM

The pig portal gun makes portals that are player specific.

What you want is a plains with a really nice view

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 01:19 AM

I thought this area had a nice Winterfell-esque quality to it.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 21, 2013, 02:23 AM

Should I have not upgraded to 1.5...oops.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 07:52 AM

From the 1.5.1 snapshot

Notable: Crash on Mac OS X on “OpenGL Function Not Supported”

Shouldn't be much longer

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 10:12 AM

Regarding the server map and city location:

I'm not entirely sold on our current map/spawn location either. I agree that it's somewhat boring, but sadly not boring enough for a large town. I figure we're going to need an open area at least 250x250 to account for grand structures and eventual expansion. I'm also trying to avoid difficult and annoying terrain, such as deserts (unless you like no rain and shipping in farmland) snow (it's pretty, but gets annoying with time), and extreme hills/mountains (lots of mining loot, hard for town layout). For at least one more day we'll keep using the map we have for stress testing but expect a change sometime Friday. The next map change should be the last change.

As for the initial city itself, Blaze's list is pretty good as far as it goes, but the train station will get moved up the list. Beyond that, I envision a rather sprawling city that starts with an organized center (say, a building to house spawn, the rail station, a group warehouse, and a power plant) and spreads out as we fill needs. (maybe the first power plant/factory gets to small, so we build a nuke plant on the outskirts of town linking to a new factory)
... actually, the phrase "nuke plant on the outskirts of town" is rather redundant. There is no way we should have a nuke plant IN town...

Once the basics are done and we have a rail/portal station, we can dig rail lines to the main compass points and give each of us a "town" to 'be mayor of' out away from the main city. This way we don't completely deplete local resources and can have fun doing different styles. Love to see one 'town' be an underground interpretation of, say, a starship (a la enterprise or what not) while another town goes the steampunk route. The main city will most likely end up a hodgepodge of styles, so rather than fight it let's just embrace it and call it "Patchwork City" or some such.

In other news, I'm revisiting the idea about moving players into the server in favor of new character care packages. This way everyone gets to start on an even footing while eliminating some 'fresh start' annoyances we all know and hate. Sek, Blaze, and anyone else who has messed around in DW, can you post a pick of either your player or a chest full of startup goodies so I can work out a good "starting chest" for everyone to use? I don't want to get too many toys to fast or we'll get bored, but at the same time being 'gifted' a flying ring on the tekkit server withing days of starting was rather nice

Finally, please let me know if the server is less glitchy since I did the Java change. It's using a lot less resources now, so it should be better, but I'd like some feedback before we go too far. If for whatever reason this server box doesn't have the horsepower (entirely possible, but I am optimistic) I have a backup plan (but will need a week or so to implement).

cycl0pse

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 AM

WAIT A MINUTE! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
All caps

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 11:36 AM

Shut up and go back to Black Ops II.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 11:38 AM

Haven't played but one match in two weeks, thank you very much.

In a weird turn of events, I've actually been playing SSP on 1.5 for the last week (and a bit on XBL).

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
WAIT A MINUTE! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?
All caps
"Let me ‘splain…No, there is too much. Let me sum up." - Indigo Montoya

To sum up: nothing has changed on Blaze's side. The vanilla server is just fine, as is the tekkit server. However, folks brought up switching to Tekkit Lite, which led to a feeding frenzy of requested mods, and resulted in the discovery of the DireWolf 20 mod pack. Just for fun, I setup a server for it that can be found here: cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25565 You will need the FTB launcher and the DireWolf20 pack to run it. It's currently in stress testing until sometime this weekend when I'll load a good map and we see where things go.
(end of summary)

It is worth noting that this all came out of the fact that a) I wanted to setup a server just for the heck of it anyways and b) converting tekkit to tekkit lite can be... painful. Additionally, by general consensus we're going to try and keep this server as a cooperative work rather than a straight-up free-for-all. Meaning we'll actually try and have a plan to follow and will most likely setup a Skype channel (great idea Blaze) for collaborating. Once we have a safe town I plan on cranking up the difficulty just to keep things interesting (I always hated that tekkit never seemed to have 'risk' once you achieved certain items).

Down the road, I'd love to plan and build something massive that we can all brag about on the internet, but for starters I just want the server stable and get folks having fun.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
In other news, I'm revisiting the idea about moving players into the server in favor of new character care packages. This way everyone gets to start on an even footing while eliminating some 'fresh start' annoyances we all know and hate. Sek, Blaze, and anyone else who has messed around in DW, can you post a pick of either your player or a chest full of startup goodies so I can work out a good "starting chest" for everyone to use? I don't want to get too many toys to fast or we'll get bored, but at the same time being 'gifted' a flying ring on the tekkit server withing days of starting was rather nice

I'm not totally against the care package idea, but again, restarting the Thaumcraft research would be a massive pain in the ass for me. If needed I can clear my inventory save for the Thauminomicon and just copy my player.dat file over just to not lose the research. Everything else is gravy.

Past that Maybe a set of Steel tools, food, torches, and some basic amounts of ingots for each player. I find the most annoying part crafting the lower tier tools and mining my first ore.

Edit: Oh yeah, and a half stack of wood too.

Also, also, my inventory was never meant to be a leg up for me, all that stuff would literally go into a common building right away for anyone to use.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 12:47 PM

Solution for that, some of us love mining that first ore. Get one of them to dig some up. I'm pondering the time to redo the Thaumcraft research. I've probably spent 8 hours on it. I do have golems doing my farming now though. Though it would give me something to derp around at when noones on.

3 key items for thaumcraft research, rubber, slimeballs, and sand.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 12:54 PM

I like mining, but I hate bashing the first tree for wood, making wood tools, then upgrading to stone tools. I've done it a billion times now, and it is very tedious.

But whatever is chosen will be fine for me.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 12:58 PM

I really didn't consider the Thaum angle thoroughly enough. Unless anyone objects, I'll go ahead and do the player move for Sek and Blaze (anyone else?) and a group care package with basics and such ( I'm not too concerned about what you bring with you... well, maybe we should actually earn the portal gun ) The player move won't happen until the weekend, sadly. I'll PM either a dropbox or FTP site for the player info later today.

Am I correct in assuming that a nice flat spawn for a city is preferable to something overly pretty with limited build space?

And Blaze, been pondering the rail station / portal station concept. Crazy idea: build a roundhouse on the surface to hold the portal gates and make it the entrance to the underground rail station. Thoughts?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 01:09 PM

I def want a portal gun, but I'm certainly going to want to craft it myself. I already died exploring so all the stuff you gave me is lost to the ages.

Anywhere we can sprawl out without to much landscaping would be ideal, but some nice scenery wouldn't be terrible either.

My first-first task is setting up the storage area with maybe some basic sorting machines pumping into various barrels, unless Blaze feels like he is better qualified for sorting machines, heh. Maybe we should found a town hall or common house first that will be simple and house our stuff for the early-goings until we all have tasks.

Edit: Or perhaps the easiest thing would just to dig underground and make a common "mining room" with storage and basic machines. That way we won't impact the surface until we have a plan in mind and everyone can mine to their heart's content.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 01:23 PM

I'll have to send you my player file, it's small so I can email it.

To me the rail station is pretty much irrelevant, here's why. Once you can get the 8 diamond BLOCKs for a link modifier then you can use a link book to go directly there. Before then you can 2 step travel through the nether. The fancy portals have to be at least 3x4. Railcraft is going to end up being for the people who want to play with railcraft not a primary transportation system.

No free portal guns. They cost wither kills.

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2013, 01:27 PM

Blaze tekkit query: is there a nether portal to spawn? or can someone send coords? I lost all my waypoints.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 01:30 PM

Yeah apparently the player file is 4k, so I could email mine as well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 01:36 PM

I don't have coords with me.

Simplest, take the nether to Dakars place and then head north.
Next is nether to cycl0pse, then take his spawn rail line to his hidy hole, go up the stairs and turn right again to access the surface.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 01:38 PM

Yeah apparently the player file is 4k, so I could email mine as well.
Just put it on a floppy and send it via mail.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 02:00 PM

"Let me ‘splain…No, there is too much. Let me sum up." - Indigo Montoya

To sum up: nothing has changed on Blaze's side. The vanilla server is just fine, as is the tekkit server. However, folks brought up switching to Tekkit Lite, which led to a feeding frenzy of requested mods, and resulted in the discovery of the DireWolf 20 mod pack. Just for fun, I setup a server for it that can be found here: cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25565 You will need the FTB launcher and the DireWolf20 pack to run it. It's currently in stress testing until sometime this weekend when I'll load a good map and we see where things go.
(end of summary)

It is worth noting that this all came out of the fact that a) I wanted to setup a server just for the heck of it anyways and b) converting tekkit to tekkit lite can be... painful. Additionally, by general consensus we're going to try and keep this server as a cooperative work rather than a straight-up free-for-all. Meaning we'll actually try and have a plan to follow and will most likely setup a Skype channel (great idea Blaze) for collaborating. Once we have a safe town I plan on cranking up the difficulty just to keep things interesting (I always hated that tekkit never seemed to have 'risk' once you achieved certain items).

Down the road, I'd love to plan and build something massive that we can all brag about on the internet, but for starters I just want the server stable and get folks having fun.
Ahhhhh! I'd like in again, if that's alright with everyone.

As before, I'm probably not going to be an incredible contributor, but I'd definitely like to play a little part, acquire resources, etc. I'm not the design guru that some of the others are.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 02:02 PM

pm sent with e-mail. The first person who sends me a floppy disk will get a COD shipment of a SPARC5 sitting in my basement
(I'd send the SPARC1000, but that has a destiny as a coffee table)
(I'd also offer to ship my LC575 COD as a threat, but that PC has memories!)

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2013, 02:07 PM

What if it's a DD floppy? I think I have a few 5.25 too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Ahhhhh! I'd like in again, if that's alright with everyone.
Be forewarned that the launcher for this modpack takes some tweaking to get running right. I suggest downloading it soon and ironing out any issues.

It's the Feed the Beast launcher (or FTB launcher for short)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I only use Jazz Drives for my data.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
and I still have the first CD-R I burned using the monster burner at college. That's got quite a bit of old MAC OS 7 software on it, let me tell ya!

I also have my original SCSI ZIP drive, and a few ZIP disks that still work. I won't mention the optical drive for the SPARC pizza box...

Sigh: 100mb storage. Who woulda thunk?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 02:19 PM

I only use Jazz Drives for my data.
I'm a Zip Man, myself.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

and I still have the first CD-R I burned using the monster burner at college.
That must be a pretty ancient CDR. My first burner was a whopping 4x USB external unit, though for some reason it only burned audio CDs at 2x.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

That must be a pretty ancient CDR. My first burner was a whopping 4x USB external unit, though for some reason it only burned audio CDs at 2x.
Yep. iOmega? Purply?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2013, 02:53 PM

Blaze can correct my memory as needed, but it was a 1x scsi burner (or was it a proprietary card?) from... 95? Took hours to burn, and disks were NOT cheap back then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules