Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 73)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have several rocky queens who beg to differ. Crossbreeding is tricky. But if sek is right, and glass works, all is good.

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
There's a trait for that. The water bees and the cave bees don't need to be "outside."
Are they still pure bred bees or did you cross them with something?

FYI the map doesn't like thaumcraft yet?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 2, 2013 at 02:32 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 02:14 PM

FYI the map doesn't like thaumcraft yet?
that may be a true statement. what isn't showing up correctly?

(also, I'm doing a staged render, so some things aren't updated yet)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 02:16 PM

My house in the village. It doesn't show the warded blocks.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 02:27 PM

yea, just checked. the map only has "partial support" for thaumcraft.

sorry

On the other hand, beats the heck out of the old pink map

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2013, 02:33 PM

Are they still pure bred bees or did you cross them with something?
cross-bred to pieces. they are nocturnal, like lily pads, and want to be outside.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2013, 03:43 PM

Structure itself is built, and I filled it with a pattern of apiaries I think will work well and look cool.

Nothing else is set up, and most of the apiaries are empty at the moment. Still, if anyone wants to throw frames and bees in a group of them go right ahead. I"ve got two vanilla trees inside as well, hoping to get some interesting saplings going alongside the bees.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2013, 03:57 PM

I have had trees the whole time next to my bees, and nada.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I have had trees the whole time next to my bees, and nada.
On one of your trees the whole top half is cross breed leaves. You need a grafter to collect them though.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2013, 04:13 PM

Bees will only cross breed vanilla oak and birch trees, once you get your first new sapling they can cross breed between the newly created tree types.

andi*pandi
Apr 2, 2013, 04:24 PM

On one of your trees the whole top half is cross breed leaves. You need a grafter to collect them though.
Hmm, maybe since I planted that birch... I will check it out. I have a grafter.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 05:10 PM

There is a fir sapling in the overflow chest that won't stack with other fir saplings. That's an obvious clue that it and the fur trees are cross-breedable.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2013, 11:06 PM

Hey Jawbone, cyclopse sees you are trying to sign in and having some issues.

Just to be clear, you need to download the Feed the Best launcher, the old tekkit launcher will not work.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2013, 11:08 PM

Tried to hop on tonight. Didn't have all the mods. I'll go try to download them and see what happens.

[EDIT] Yeah, I was using the Technic Launcher. Thanks for the heads up.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 11:13 PM

definately do the launcher. we're using the direwolf20 modpack. trying to match all the mods manually will be hard.

be warned, the FTB launcher may need customized a bit. check the options.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 11:16 PM

quick refresher:
cycl0pse.dyndns.org:25565

use this launcher Feed the Beast

seems to like Java 7 more than Java 6

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2013, 11:20 PM

No it hates java 7 on the Mac you must use Java 6

localhost:~ asdfsdfsd$ export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
localhost:~ asdfsdfsd$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_43"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01-447, mixed mode)
localhost:~ asdfsdfsd$ open /Applications/FTB_Launcher.jar

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 2, 2013, 11:22 PM

duh! I remember reading that now. my bad.

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2013, 12:24 AM

playing with lightning bees:

blaze is impervious:

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2013, 09:16 AM

also, blaze, I seem to have got myself a charmed bee, which is Thaumic... magic bees!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2013, 10:01 AM

Nice, there's 3 breeds I think. Though I think the first one is the hardest to get. If you want me the do the thaumcraft stuff to the bee(s) for you I will. I've got almost all of it researched. All I have left is collecting fragments. If you end up with a Node bee you probably don't want to use it. It generates Flux and will cause bad things to happen.

Looks like the nether didn't render correctly?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2013, 11:11 AM

Just logged in to check on the bee system. Everything still working fine, each hive had about 32 extra drones in it and I've got a ton of propolis as well. Can't wait to get some better breeds into the system.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2013, 11:32 AM

Looks like the nether didn't render correctly?
I turned off the 'auto-render' features so those of us who go on yachting expeditions don't kill the server. (hi Sek!) This means the map will only update when I tell it to.

As such I manually updated the main world map last night. Now I'm doing the full render on the nether. For me to fully render twilight I'll have to put a chunk loader there so it stays loaded for the render. Probably look into that tonight.

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2013, 11:37 AM

map for this page:
Minecraft Dynamic Map

huh, sek found a mushroom island shaped like australia.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2013, 01:11 PM

nether map has been updated

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2013, 01:24 PM

Andi, I know you've been busy as a bee lately (with bees, as it is) but if you have time for a question:

Looking for design ideas for the top of the two castle towers. Since Blaze moved the Thaum to a better location, both towers are now 'available' for use. One will eventually be the Mystcraft home. No idea what to use the other one for, but I'm sure something will come up. As such, there are no design limitations... just need something that looks cool.

Thoughts?

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2013, 01:46 PM

They are pretty big! How tall do you want them?

I don't know much about mystcraft, it might be cool to have an area to relate to each region.

I think we need to move the tree farm out to the plains and have that space for more commercial buildings like sek's bee house etc. This could transition better to those huge towers.

Some point soon (when he gets his dna sorter sorted) I'll probably just move my bees into the sek's bee soup and will need a new project.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 3, 2013, 02:26 PM

As far as height goes, anything higher than they are would be for decorative purposes only. In fact, the 'top floor' wall could even be dropped if it would look better.

As for an industrial complex, I think that's a grand idea. The village/town is turning into a rather nice hodgepodge of buildings and styles that all seem to work well together, so I'm liking it. Unfortunately, I already started a coke works on the other side of the village, but could easily move it if need be. (check the map for the 3 silos). Nowhere near as large as the one I did in tekkit, but we don't need quite that production output either.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2013, 04:36 PM

i managed to get an Imperial Queen, which did not produce any royal jelly and died leaving only an Imperial drone and a Noble-Imperial Hybrid Princess. I've also been able to get some Majestic drones, but no queens yet....

I've also disabled the gates auto-pumping out, as I don't want to lose any royal jelly by accident, and cross breeding is much simpler that way. Once I get some better breeds sorted out I can restart the automation process. I've got 100 buckets of honey and about 60 buckets of DNA stored for the time being.

Also Andi, feel free to utilize any of the apiaries that arean't the back 6 with all the piping hooked up. I have also set up a Database Machine and an Infinite Bee Storage Indexer inside.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 3, 2013, 04:39 PM

Sounds like you guys are playing Beekeeper Simulator 2013

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2013, 05:44 PM

Just so you know, this modpack is pretty damn cool, and I think you should come join us.....jerkface.

I just logged in and the launcher found an update for our modpack, going to decline until cyclopse updates the server side.

andi*pandi
Apr 3, 2013, 06:18 PM

Come on the server and give it a try.

I promise not to hide lightning bees in your house.

<cross fingers>

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2013, 06:48 PM

I've got 3 hives with purebred Imperial Bees on rotation, so gene splicing is a go!

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 09:10 AM

NOTE: server crashed this morning around 8:03 AM. Looking into the issue as time allows.

Server back up but has not been updated to the latest version. Any chance someone can log on and verify if things are good so I can make a clean backup?
( Last edited by cycl0pse; Apr 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 11:23 AM

I logged in before I left for the morning, everything was fine.

Last night around 12:30 the game ground to a crawl for me, I figured it was the FTB launcher crapping out so I forced quit and called it a night. When I logged in today a couple of my hives had a full stack of extra drones, so perhaps they were overflowing and causing an issue? That still wouldn't explain the oddity last night. At any rate I disable the hives for now until I can come up with a way to catch the excess drones that spill out.

I also had a ton of cross-bred leaves on my trees, including a cherry wood sapling. I should have mahogany in no time!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2013, 11:31 AM

I added a apiarists pipe and a chest to catch the extra drones that should go down the pipe instead of into the hive. Did you remove it? Maybe that should be on of those bee chests instead of wooden.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 11:39 AM

I've got to do the Java fix, because the FTB experience is brutal for me as it stands. I was able to log on for about two minutes last night, then everything went to crap.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2013, 11:59 AM

I'd suggest testing out your performance in a single player creative mode world. Find a cave and slap down a dozen redstone lamps and point timers at them to make them blink allot. IC2 sound is off by default so that's the other major client side performance problem. Smooth lighting while pretty is a lso a huge frame-rate hit. To check for server lag you just dig dirt (not grass) and look for re-appearing blocks (block lag.)

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 12:21 PM

dumb question: is doing the server upgrade noting worse than backing it up, then replacing the various java files and restarting the server? Doing the message board circuit now, but it's slow going because work is rough lately. (that would be why I disappeared so suddenly last night... sorry about that Blaze)

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 12:36 PM

Jawbone ( and anyone else) ,
Let's talk about Java settings. The mystcraft wiki has a good page on it here:
setup:memory [Mystcraft Wiki]

Basically, the default java settings get crushed when using the FTB stuff. So java mods are good. Look above for how I have the server setup... and DO NOT do that to the client! It's meant for hosting multi-player. Looking at the mystcraft code, here's where I would start:

Code:
-Xms270m -Xmx550m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=25 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=20 -XX:NewSize=240m -XX:SurvivorRatio=10 -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=4
I don't do this on my playing machine, because it runs fine as is, so test with care. the FTB launcher has a option to add java commands to the startup: put this code there. I also increase the memory in the FTB launcher as well.

cycl0pse

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2013, 12:37 PM

I got kicked off last night around 11, and when I tried logging in this morning it couldn't find the server.

Could also be all the exploring I did last night, is the server rendering a map or something?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2013, 12:38 PM

Figured

With tekkit and vanilla that's all it takes, swapping the stuff not in the world folder. If you've made any changes to the configs you have to reapply them. But I don't think you did anything like limiting the top speed of power suits to prevent crazy chunk generation.

Anyone else watch Direwolf? His current LP shtick is technology reacts badly in the Twilight so he can't wear his quantum armor because he gets hit with slowness. At the end of his last episode though he showed the chat log and it had /give Potion of Slowness and /give Milk Bucket. (I don't think it was by accident. I think it was to stop the idiots in the comments from pointing out their armor works fine in the Twilight)

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 01:07 PM

(ponders limiting the speed of power suits to prevent crazy chunk generation )

I'll look into doing the update once I'm home and can test.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 02:33 PM

I added a apiarists pipe and a chest to catch the extra drones that should go down the pipe instead of into the hive. Did you remove it? Maybe that should be on of those bee chests instead of wooden.
Instead of the chest I simply ran that line directly into the Analyzer/DNA machine. Still, most of the extra bees pop out of the Apiaries and land upstairs, they never make it into the sorting pipes in the first place. I plan on adding some Obsidian pipes spaced evenly enough to hopefully grab anything that lands where it shouldn't.

Along with Andi I also did a ton of exploration last night, perhaps the map trying to render all the new chunks was the issue.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2013, 02:35 PM

Did you re-pipe them to match the one I set up?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've got to do the Java fix, because the FTB experience is brutal for me as it stands. I was able to log on for about two minutes last night, then everything went to crap.
Code:
"-XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m"
no quotes of course...

"into the advanced options for Java in the FTB launcher"

This will make it stop crashing guaranteed. However it is also worth noting that on the Tekkit server I ran Normal draw distance, fancy graphics and smooth lighting. In Direwolf I run Low distance, no fancy and no smooth lighting. Anything else is near unplayable.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 02:39 PM

Did you re-pipe them to match the one I set up?
You had the chest set to "any bees" the same setting is on the output for the pipe. Even with your chest fix bees still appeared upstairs next to the Apiary they couldn't fit into. Maybe a couple hungry chests upstairs will do the trick.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm perusing the provided Java wiki right now.

I've entered everything in, but I won't be able to check until I get on sometime late tonight.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 4, 2013, 02:46 PM

so everyone knows...
I do not have the web map updating 'on the fly'... I found it was a pretty severe resource hog. So I need to run the map rendering manually when the server is not being heavily used.

As for what crashed last night... the server was getting up there on memory used. We may have just taken it to far. I'm going to upgrade the memory in the box sometime (hopefully) next week.

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2013, 02:53 PM

jawbone shows up on the map!

How do we see the nether map?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2013, 03:03 PM

...so, apparently quicksand is a thing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules