Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Possible to run a beige G3 headless in OS X?

Possible to run a beige G3 headless in OS X?
velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2003, 11:42 AM

To any and all in the know...I've got a beige 233 G3 desktop running OS X 10.2 as a headless file/MP3/webserver that I'd like to be able to boot up headlessly. (I love being able to say I run headless every day !) The video card is stock, and if I start the Mac up with the monitor plugged in, even if the monitor's not powered, it boots OK. However, starting without a monitor just takes me to the gray bootup screen. I can access files over the network from it at this point, but I also play music through my stereo on the G3, so it'd be nice to have it start up completely without having to drag the monitor out and then back again (space is a bit tight in my apt). So, is there a setting somewhere or perhaps a teminal command (keeping in mind I'm only slightly, marginally familiar with UNIX) that will enable me to do this?
I wanna see movies of my dreams.

iYeat
Jan 31, 2003, 02:15 PM

AFAIK only the XServe has the appropriate hardware to run headless. All other macs will operate headless (network server, etc) however you will not get the functionality that you are talking about.

C

Originally posted by velocipede:
To any and all in the know...I've got a beige 233 G3 desktop running OS X 10.2 as a headless file/MP3/webserver that I'd like to be able to boot up headlessly. (I love being able to say I run headless every day !) The video card is stock, and if I start the Mac up with the monitor plugged in, even if the monitor's not powered, it boots OK. However, starting without a monitor just takes me to the gray bootup screen. I can access files over the network from it at this point, but I also play music through my stereo on the G3, so it'd be nice to have it start up completely without having to drag the monitor out and then back again (space is a bit tight in my apt). So, is there a setting somewhere or perhaps a teminal command (keeping in mind I'm only slightly, marginally familiar with UNIX) that will enable me to do this?
"My software never has bugs. It merely develops random, undocumented features."
-Anonymous

velocipede  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by iYeat:
AFAIK only the XServe has the appropriate hardware to run headless. All other macs will operate headless (network server, etc) however you will not get the functionality that you are talking about.

C
Would this work, though, with just a monitor connector cable plugged into the Mac? Since it works with the monitor plugged in but turned off, do I simply need a cable plugged into the G3 or does it somehow sense whether a monitor is actually plugged in, vs just a cable. Assuming I could find a cable or dead monitor, perhaps a severed cable plugged into the Mac would work. Does anyone know if this would work?

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 04:55 PM

I think the mac detects some circuits in the display. so having only the cable connected probably wouldn't work.

i remember reading about a dongle that would allow a mac to run headless from boot, but i can't remember what it's called or who makes it. sorry. the review was in macaddict, i think.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 31, 2003, 05:06 PM

Dr. Bott makes two such products, one for beige Macs (Mac Sync Adapter), and one for newer Macs (gHead).

If you already have a DB15-HD15 (Mac->VGA) video adapter, you may be able to buy the gHead, which is cheaper.

tooki

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Dr. Bott makes two such products, one for beige Macs (Mac Sync Adapter), and one for newer Macs (gHead).

If you already have a DB15-HD15 (Mac->VGA) video adapter, you may be able to buy the gHead, which is cheaper.

tooki
gHead! that was it.

velocipede  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 09:25 PM

I wanted to give a quick update to this for anyone else looking for a cheap solution...I mentioned this to the local CompUSA Apple rep and he mentioned that he had simply used a Mac to vga adapter and was able to boot headlessly. Whaddyaknow, I tried it and it worked! Thanks to tooki and :XI: for the tips...

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 05:28 AM

I run my G4533 Digital Audio headless with no problems

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 07:14 AM

Hi,

AKAIK the G3 will run headless without problems. The thing is that on startup the videocard tries to detect a modem to establish the correct resolution and refresh rate. This is done through information provided by the monitor throug some of the pins of the conector. If the computer cannot recognize them it will disable the video signal but still start up. The only problem is that if you like to plug in a monitor to to something on the computer you will need to restart with the monitor pluged in.

There a two solutions. Stay that way and enable remote access to acces your Mac throug SSH form anotherone. Thats what I do with my old 7300 acting as test webserver running 10.1.5.

The other solution is to connect a monitor adapter. It is a small adatpter with some dip switchtes that lets you simulate a monitor.

Regards
( Last edited by RealMadrid; Mar 2, 2003 at 07:20 AM. )
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

Vanquish
Mar 2, 2003, 02:06 PM

an other question: does the beige G3 support wake-up on LAN-access ?

velocipede  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
an other question: does the beige G3 support wake-up on LAN-access ?
I checked the energy saver options, and there's no choice for wake on LAN, only to restart from accidental shutdown, so I assume not..

The other solution is to connect a monitor adapter. It is a small adatpter with some dip switchtes that lets you simulate a monitor.

Yep, exactly..

Avon
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 12:52 AM

Yep, exactly..

This is also what I do to run a headless server. You need some kind of connector on the back of the machine. You used to be able to use apple-vga adapters but now thats obviously not the case. Going to have to find vga to vga adapters with switches or dials. Anyting that converts the signal will work, it does not have to be anything special.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2003, 04:44 AM

You could run just a Linux app. (BSD, SuSe, YDL, etc.) and just use a simple LCD. I know YDL sells there briQ, which uses this:
Front Panel Display:
- Programmable Vacuum Florescent Display
- 2 lines X 20 characters
- Two push button switches
- Bi-color LED

( http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/briQ/ )

You could find something like that, and just mount it on the front panel (or cut a nice piece out of the front or top and flush mount it)
Thats my two cents worth

Avon
Senior User
Mar 5, 2003, 01:07 PM

Here is the adapter I use.

I think I have one of the monitor eumulator adapters too, Il take a pic...

http://www.geckocam.net/GeckoCamInfo/index.html

Avon
Senior User
Mar 5, 2003, 01:10 PM

I just remembered the Beige G3 has an Apple video connector. You will need to get an apple to vga adapter. Search the internet or go to your local computer store (not compusa, they sell for 80 bucks)

You should not pay more than 15 bucks for one.

Particle_Man
Mar 5, 2003, 01:28 PM

I just shorted the sense pins on the video card. I can't remember exactly which ones they are but two of the holes in the plug on the beige G3 actually tell the machine whether there's a monitor attached. I ripped a couple pins out of a dead VGA adaptor I had, soldered them to a peice of appropriate guage wire, and plugged the pins into the correct holes on the video card.

If doing this you'll want to make sure you're shorting the right pins since I'd have to assume that shorting the wrong ones could quite easily damage the video card and probably even the computer.
Check out my Website

Forum Links
Forum Rules