Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Expos� in slow motion!

Expos� in slow motion!
bastion
Aug 29, 2003, 07:09 AM

For those of you who have 7B44 or newer, try holding shift when you use Expos�. It does it all in slow motion.

So droolworthy...

(Sorry if this is a known thing, I just found out).
Cheers,
Nick.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by bastion:
For those of you who have 7B44 or newer, try holding shift when you use Expos�. It does it all in slow motion.

So droolworthy...

(Sorry if this is a known thing, I just found out).
You gotta do it with movies playing inside windows (either QT Player or playing in the Safari browser), a DVD movie playing in DVD Player, and other types of animation. The animation keeps playing while the windows slowly resize and tile up on the screen. It's furkin' amazing.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 07:41 AM

Expos� is definitely the best thing in Panther.

Hmmm, how long I wonder before MS copies and claims it as their innovation?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 08:03 AM

that is so sweet! Love Panther...
we don't have time to stop for gas

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2003, 09:10 AM

Pretty damn cool if you ask me. Although the movie (in a safari window no less) stopped a few times on my work-G4 533 (GeForce2MX) it was smooth as silk even when iTunes where playing and PTHiTunesNotifier showed an overlay.

There is a major bug with Classic windows though. They don't participate in the dance (they do a cool fading out though), which is OK, but if you do and F11, the top and side of the windows shows in the screen border :/

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

timmerk
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 12:13 PM

Someone take a nice big movie of this please!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 02:26 PM

Ah, the joys of preemptive multitasking.
As a side note, for any "newbies" out there, you can also hold shift while clicking the yellow Minimize button on any window to see the Genie effect in slow motion (then hold shift while clicking the minimized window in the dock to see it in reverse).

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 09:29 PM

I teach computer science in a HS and wonder if i could get a copy of Panther to evaluate it...is there something special I need to do to get a copy of it?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 09:54 PM

Anyone who used MIP would have seen the same. BTW, do DVDs play in the Dock when minimized now?

proton
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
I teach computer science in a HS and wonder if i could get a copy of Panther to evaluate it...is there something special I need to do to get a copy of it?
It is not available to anyone except registered Apple Developers. It is not in a form that anyone who is not a developer testing their software or developing new software should use. To get it you need a Software Seed Key for the Apple Developer Connection, which comes with various ADC memberships.

- proton

ZackS
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 11:09 PM

It costs a lot of money but I got it for $99 a year for being a student developer. Much better investment than .mac in my opinion

timmerk
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
Someone take a nice big movie of this please!
Yes, good idea! Movie? anyone?

K++
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by ZackS:
It costs a lot of money but I got it for $99 a year for being a student developer. Much better investment than .mac in my opinion
Yes, it is. Now if they would just return that one lifetime ADC HardWare Asset to the student account, I would have one in a heartbeat.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by K++:
Yes, it is. Now if they would just return that one lifetime ADC HardWare Asset to the student account, I would have one in a heartbeat.
When did they yank this privilege? I was hoping to buy my next Mac with this discount. Darn, you ruined my evening... =)

geekwagon
Senior User
Aug 30, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by besson3c:
When did they yank this privilege? I was hoping to buy my next Mac with this discount. Darn, you ruined my evening... =)

It's still there. I had to go look to make sure though (you got me worried, since I realized I didn't see the hardware discount in my lists of assets.)

It still says on this page that you get one hardware discount with the student membership. It also says that it doesn't show up in your assets (whew!)

That said, I don't get access to the seed program. Maybe if you attended WWDC or something you get Panther seeds?

K++
Senior User
Aug 30, 2003, 02:27 AM

You still get the discount!!!!! You guys just made my year. I have to go buy my account now.

ZackS
Banned
Aug 30, 2003, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
It's still there. I had to go look to make sure though (you got me worried, since I realized I didn't see the hardware discount in my lists of assets.)

It still says on this page that you get one hardware discount with the student membership. It also says that it doesn't show up in your assets (whew!)

That said, I don't get access to the seed program. Maybe if you attended WWDC or something you get Panther seeds?
Heh, not exactly I never DIRECTLY connected my SD status and my seeds of Panther I'm working with a few other Mac student developers on an independent project at my high school and our supervising teacher has a real ADC account.

geekwagon
Senior User
Aug 30, 2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by ZackS:
Heh, not exactly I never DIRECTLY connected my SD status and my seeds of Panther I'm working with a few other Mac student developers on an independent project at my high school and our supervising teacher has a real ADC account.
Ah hah, that would do it. I wish that we had some Mac development going on at the software development shop that I work at. Microsoft software/development tools rain from the sky, but Apple stuff is hard to come by. Lots of the engineers there are Mac users, but all our products are for Windows.

To bring this thread back on topic, I have noticed that the "slow-mo expos�" feature only works when activated from the keyboard. Holding down shift and using a hot corner doesn't seem to work.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by timmerk:
Yes, good idea! Movie? anyone?
I tried but Snapz Pro went all laggy and slow. So the movie turned all jerky. Perhaps someone with a G4 will have more luck?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
I tried but Snapz Pro went all laggy and slow. So the movie turned all jerky. Perhaps someone with a G4 will have more luck?
Or a G5! Slow motion effects are the coolest thing in Panther.. Yay.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Devin Lane
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2003, 12:41 PM

Just to let you know, the slow-motion Expos� works just fine on 7B39. However, don't expect it to run smoothly on a big monitor (lags on my 1600x1200 CRT)
-- Devin Lane, Cocoa Programmer

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 30, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
It's too bad the new accelerated video capture engine we're working on for Snapz Pro X 2.0 isn't released. It makes short work of a video of this kind.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by moki:
It's too bad the new accelerated video capture engine we're working on for Snapz Pro X 2.0 isn't released. It makes short work of a video of this kind.
I think it is more my iBook G3, rather than the software
( Last edited by Peter; Aug 30, 2003 at 03:34 PM. )

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 08:47 AM

Sounds like a great opportunity for a, "technology preview", moki . Yeah I know NDA's and stuff.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2003, 09:27 AM

delete me.
( Last edited by Peter; Aug 31, 2003 at 12:18 PM. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2003, 03:56 PM

More slowmotion: Shift-click the control panels in System Preferences to see the cool fade + slide effect in Panther.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

osxisfun
Aug 31, 2003, 04:03 PM

As ricky ricardo says, please 'splain.

i am a registered user..

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 09:28 PM

If a window resizes automatically via Apple's built in Window Moving APIs you can hold shift down and it will do it in slow mo. Try it with the login window also.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Aug 31, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
As ricky ricardo says, please 'splain.

i am a registered user..
For the past 6-8 months, we've been focusing on nothing but raw performance out of the video capture in Snapz Pro X. We've been able to do some very cool things with it.

Significantly higher capture rates, and lower overhead while doing the capture. Here's an early video showing it off a bit:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/F...ML/000003.html
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2003, 10:48 PM

For the past 6-8 months, we've been focusing on nothing but raw performance out of the video capture in Snapz Pro X. We've been able to do some very cool things with it.

Significantly higher capture rates, and lower overhead while doing the capture. Here's an early video showing it off a bit:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/webboard/F...ML/000003.html
That is freakin' incredible. You never cease to amaze me...

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 09:15 AM

I am a student developer, where do I get a copy of panther? it has not come on the disks cannot find it on the site

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
I am a student developer, where do I get a copy of panther? it has not come on the disks cannot find it on the site
Look harder. If you can't figure out where it is, then either:

a) you don't have access to it, or
b) you shouldn't be fooling around with high voltage appliances like computers
( Last edited by Cipher13; Sep 2, 2003 at 10:34 AM. )

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2003, 09:38 AM

um..thanks lol

Cipher13
Sep 2, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
um..thanks lol
Is your account a free one, or a paid-for one?

Click downloads on the left hand side, and you should see 7B53 listed, by default.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Sep 2, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Is your account a free one, or a paid-for one?

Click downloads on the left hand side, and you should see 7B53 listed, by default.
Student dev accounts (the $99 ones) do not include a software seed key. If someone has one with a student account it was given to them by someone else with a premier/select account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules