Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White Spots, Ram Issues, Defectiveness, recall

White Spots, Ram Issues, Defectiveness, recall
acedloring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 02:28 PM

This issue has been addressed so much already that I will try and be as brief as possible. I received white spots on my Al 1.25ghz about 2 days after receiving it. I immediately sent it in for repair. At the same time I returned a 512mb ram module I had purchased from 18004memory becuase it was causing kernel panics. I received my powerbook back. The screen and "connector" had been replaced. Now, less than 2 days later, 4 new white spots have again developed!! I yelled at apple on the phone and they only said that I would have to send it in.

Ironically, within about 5 minutes of calling apple, 18004memory called me to let me know they could not ship me new RAM because there is an "industry wide problem" with 512mb or larger ram modules working with the new AL 15". They said that all the major RAM distributors (ramject, kingsten..etc) are having problems. The rep at 18004memory also told me that their tech support has been told that Apple might be recalling, yes recalling, all the 15" AL models because they are defective (either becuase of the screen or the memory problem)!!! I of course was shocked to hear this, and I take this "RUMOR," as should you, with a large grain of salt. But suffice to say that there are many defective things wrong with this model of powerbook and it seems to be easy to infer that Apple (knowing they needed to release an update to the 15") released the 15" without proper testing.

All I can do is wait now to see if these things really do get recalled. I don't have time to send back my powerbook so I will have to deal with the white spots for now.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 02:47 PM

I have both a 512MB and 1GB SODIMM in my 15" Al and no problems I can see. Both pass both quick and extended test from the hardware DVD and I've got no crashes or other problems from them. I think this "recall" rumor is not true.

meetingpeopleiseasy
Oct 10, 2003, 02:55 PM

I wish they would issue a recall, this problem sucks real bad. I've had it!
http://www.december9.net

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 04:10 PM

my new 15" is perfect! Never even crashed once. I would hate to give it up for even a day!!

I only have the stock 512 RAM, but I am waiting for the 1gb sticks to come down in price. I wonder if this "recall" is delaying that....
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 04:23 PM

I've read a lot on here about the white spots, but has their been a lot of RAM issues?
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

acedloring  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by agentmouthwash:
I've read a lot on here about the white spots, but has their been a lot of RAM issues?

I think there has been. Take a quick search of the forum. If there has not, I would appreciate people suggesting where "good" RAM can be found.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 05:30 PM

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by acedloring:
I think there has been. Take a quick search of the forum. If there has not, I would appreciate people suggesting where "good" RAM can be found.
www.macsales.com
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 06:32 PM

at school I have met 4 people with 15" white spot issues and 2 of them also had aftermarket 512mb ram problems...

geez..

lates...

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 09:14 PM

I hadn't heard about widespread RAM issues, just an occasional one here and there (seemed like normal amount of issues to me).

The spots are clearly and issue. Let's hope this gets resolved one way or another.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 09:17 PM

are whitespots an issue with th revB 12" also... or is this strictly a 15" AL PB problem...

lates...

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2003, 12:36 AM

My 'book has only the more minor of the common problems: latch not catching / releasing by itself, and kernel panics on wake from sleep (apparently only under battery power). I thankfully have no white spots, dead pixels, or apparent RAM problems (not using 3rd-party though).

Although my 'book is not completely unusable, if there were a recall and subsequent revision, I would want to upgrade to the fixed version to lessen the chances of a future failure.

I'm going to be on the road for the next four months and can't be 'bookless during that time, so if there were a recall I wouldn't want to turn in my 'book, and there's no other laptop I would want to buy except a revised version of the same. Is there usually a time limit in these situations during which you would have to send back your 'book in order to get the refund? If the recall were announced tomorrow and I didn't take advantage of it until February, would it be too late?

I know this is all rumor, but I'm just curious what the situation would be if it happened.

Forum Links
Forum Rules