Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Panther window resize speed?

Panther window resize speed?
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 12:27 PM

Okay... here's the deal. I downloaded Cocktail 3.2 today and I realized there is an option to change the Window Resize Speed (such as Safari preferences) What they're talking about is the Animation speed of the window when it resizes depending on which preference tab you select. Also, what I noticed is that it effects the speed of dialog boxes and save shees (faster or slower).

The real problem is, Cocktail demo expires after only 3 LAUNCHES! Is there a way I can edit the Animation speed through command line or plist hack? I really don't want to pay the $12 to play with this one setting.

I need some help from all you Unix Geeks (you don't mind me calling you that right?).

Thanks in advance!

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2003, 12:45 PM

Nevermind. I just found it:

Open Terminal:

This is the default setting for the animation speed:
Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSWindowResizeTime 0.2
This is the fastest (which I love)
Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSWindowResizeTime 0.1
This is really really slow:
Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSWindowResizeTime 5.0
You get the idea. You can put any number in there. I am so glad I was able to edit this now without paying $12.

This also may help you all out too. I highly recommend using the 0.1 setting because it makes you feel like you have a faster computer and makes you more productive.

zachs
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 04:45 PM

You can even put in

Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSWindowResizeTime 0.001
which will make it nearly instantaneous (ie, no animation, like the Finder preferences window.) That's what I have mine set to.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
You can even put in

Code:
which will make it nearly instantaneous (ie, no animation, like the Finder preferences window.) That's what I have mine set to.
Ok I'm Terminal illiterate for the most part... How do I enter the command? I can't get it to work.
click one

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2003, 08:53 AM

If you didnt' install the BSD Subsystem when you installed Panther, then it won't work. So install the BSD Subsystem and you'll be all set.

It should be right on the Panther disc. You do not have to re-install Panther, just look for the BSD package somewhere on Panther disc one.

bastion
Nov 26, 2003, 09:53 AM

Hmm, can you tell me exactly what file you are editing?

Thanks.
Cheers,
Nick.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
If you didnt' install the BSD Subsystem when you installed Panther, then it won't work. So install the BSD Subsystem and you'll be all set.

It should be right on the Panther disc. You do not have to re-install Panther, just look for the BSD package somewhere on Panther disc one.
I always have BSD installed.
click one

zachs
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Ok I'm Terminal illiterate for the most part... How do I enter the command? I can't get it to work.
Open up Terminal and copy and paste:

Code:
at the prompt. Then hit Return. You'll have to relaunch apps for it to take effect.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 11:44 PM

Open up Terminal and copy and paste:

Code:
at the prompt. Then hit Return. You'll have to relaunch apps for it to take effect.
Is it suposed to say anything? cuz it didn't say anything when I did that. But now that I look at it I do think it worked... hmmm
click one

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by bastion:
Hmm, can you tell me exactly what file you are editing?

Thanks.
Its editing the global domain of the defaults database. I don't know where exactly that's stored. Check out the documentation for NSUserDefaults for a bunch of info about how it works.

bastion
Nov 27, 2003, 12:31 AM

I honestly can't tell the difference.
Cheers,
Nick.

zachs
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Is it suposed to say anything? cuz it didn't say anything when I did that. But now that I look at it I do think it worked... hmmm
No, it doesn't say anything. But it'll work.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:51 AM

No, it doesn't say anything. But it'll work.
Ok I think that's what was confusing me. Seems to have worked, I like it a little more snappy.
click one

Phazer80s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 01:05 AM

Every OS X (just Panther?) user should know this tip. This is a GREAT tip! And so easy, too.

But why doesn't Apple just allow users to configure this setting in System Prefs?

Well, the question's rhetorical, really. Apple doesn't want the average user altering the UI to encourage sales of new machines. Give them your money for a more powerful machine and they'll allow you a faster, more responsive UI. Nothing's new about that. For those of us without thousands of dollars to spend on a new Mac (despite Panther's speed,) this tip provides a nice added boost.

Reducing the resize time makes for a snappier interface at the detriment of smoothness. That's OK for me� I'm familiar (and appreciative) of Panther's aesthetic finesse. It's nice to see the attention to detail Apple put into the smoothness of sheet animation, etc., but I'd rather have a more responsive UI, thanks.

This mod sure makes a difference. Thanks for the tip, 'Spaz. "It's like getting a whole new Mac"

And yeah, using a value of 0.1 is a nice balance of speed and smoothness. On my system it seems all the 'frames' of animation are displayed, just in half the time.
( Last edited by Phazer80s; Nov 27, 2003 at 02:02 AM. )
Still waiting for the day LAUNCH.COM allows OS X users to view it's precious videos.

G4 733 Digital Audio
1 Gig GForce 2MX

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Phazer80s:
[B]snappier
i created that word, please do not use it any longer.

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 02:27 PM

apple cant add a preference for every little thing like that, at some point you have to start making some of the choices for your users (if you want an easy install / setup process). And something like resize speed is pretty nominal, not something the average user needs to tinker with.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
apple cant add a preference for every little thing like that, at some point you have to start making some of the choices for your users (if you want an easy install / setup process). And something like resize speed is pretty nominal, not something the average user needs to tinker with.
Good point. The system prefs would be a lot larger if they had little things like this.
click one

Forum Links
Forum Rules