Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTT: 64" Pioneer Elite HDTV for Power Mac G5 or Powerbook...

WTT: 64" Pioneer Elite HDTV for Power Mac G5 or Powerbook...
NathanA
May 28, 2004, 10:07 AM

Howdy,

This is going to seem REALLY odd, but I'd very much like to trade my 64" Pioneer Elite 730HD TV for a Dual G5 Power Mac.

I'm going to be starting a media and branding strategy company with a friend of mine, and I've been trying to sell the TV for a little while to get out of a little debt, but I realized that I'm also going to have to get a new computer for this venture, and as such would be willing to trade.

I figure there has got to be somebody out there who has a G5 that doesn't really feel like they use it all that much, or to it's potential, and may find this trade interesting.

The set is in great shape, it's been ISF calibrated by one of the best Pioneer calibrators, Dave Levy, who I had to fly in from across the country to do the job for me. I figured might as well get the best for the best.

The set has a few months left on it's factory warranty and still has an additional two year extended warranty after that.

It retails for $7,000, however I figure I could only sell it for about $3,000 due to my location in Spokane, WA which isn't exactly a hotbed of home theater enthusiasts. This TV is part of a set of very hot commodity TV's because Pioneer has chosen to focus on plasma technology for the future and the 730HD and 730HDI are the last in their stunning film-like image quality RPTV's.

I'd be willing to trade straight across for various configurations of a Dual G5, we'd have to work out the details, but I just thought I'd post it. I would also consider trades for a newer model 15" or 17" Powerbook.

Contact me at [email protected]

Cheers!
-Nathan

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 28, 2004, 11:37 AM

I think most people will shy away from this type of trade. For one thing the price descrepancy is so large that it raises all sorts of red flags. I'm not saying your trying to take some one, but you have to admit it doesn't sound normal.

Secondly I wonder how many people here want to trade their G5 for a TV.

If your TV is infact worth 7k then sell it on ebay then your location would not be a factor.

Mike

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2004, 12:06 PM

and how much would it cost to ship the thing to whomever would want to trade you?

NathanA  (op)
May 28, 2004, 12:30 PM

Well let me clear up some things then.

Street price on this is more typically between $4700-$5400.

The problem is that they are in high demand (well at least among a very small group of the population), and are very hard to find because the slightly newer 730HDI is the last Elite RPTV that Pioneer plans to make. I have seen these sets sell for $3000-3500 in the used market, typically uncalibrated and without an extended warranty. The problem I have is that I'm not in a place where many people desire this kind of product. Most folks where I live, assuming they can buy a product of this nature to start with, have a tendancy to shop for it at Wal*Mart, not a hi-fi boutique store.

Think of it as the difference between you and I shopping at an Apple Retail Store as opposed to the corner PC parts shop. It's just a different crowd.

The reason for the low price is due entirely to shipping. The TV weighs over 350 lbs. It's a slight hassle to ship, on top of that not many people when looking into getting an RPTV tend to care much about it so long as it's just "big".

This TV is for a niche market, as in very high end home theater, and not only that but only those theaters which desire an RPTV.

I can understand the skepticism, but in all honesty it would be virtually impossible to sell this via eBay in anything resembling an orderly manner, and I'd rather just not deal with the hassle of that avenue. I've tried to sell it locally, but have come to terms with the fact that it's not going to happen, now if I were in say LA or NYC, heck or even Seattle or Portland this thing would have already sold iteself.

I'm only entertaining the trade idea because I know a lot of people buy a computer because it's the latest greatest thing, and then don't really use it the way they thought, and I figured that at least one person out there might consider this an interesting trade option, albeit an unorthodox one.

Shipping would have to be sorted out between myself and any interested party. I imagine I'd have to go through a lisenced and bonded piano moving company or something of the sort. I wouldn't expect that it'd be more than $500 and if it were then I'd be happy to come up with the difference or even negotiate the buyer paying even less than that max $500 figure depending on what they were looking to trade.

Here are a few pictures of the TV. The first pictures are of the music setup in my room, but there are a couple that show the TV from decent angles.

Hope that helps. I'd be happy to have anyone contact me via phone to chat about it if they want to drop me an e-mail with an inquiry.

Cheers!
-Nathan
( Last edited by NathanA; May 28, 2004 at 12:38 PM. )

davidflas
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 05:59 PM

I don't suppose you'd be willing to trade that tv for an 800Mhz iBook G4 + $500 cash... J/K of course. But seriously, that is an awsome tv, I would take it off you hands in a second if I had the money... Nice set up too I have always been a fan of high end a/v gear, especially Pioneer Elite RPTV's. That you've had it calibrated too makes it even more drool worthy. Have you thought any more about the trade I mentioned above... I'll even throw in a 30GB ipod....
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Forum Links
Forum Rules