Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple LCD 17" 1280X1024 resolution on TiBook?

Apple LCD 17" 1280X1024 resolution on TiBook?
meetingpeopleiseasy
Sep 15, 2001, 02:15 AM

Will I be able to achieve the 1280x1024 resolution this Apple LCD boasts on my new TiBook? Or will I be stuck with 1024x768 because of the grfx card in my TiBook?
http://www.december9.net

Aykew
Sep 15, 2001, 05:15 AM

Good luck getting your 15-pin DSUB analog connector (on your powerbook) to interface with the digital ADC connector on the Apple studio display! Unfortunately, the two are not compatible and there is no converter that I know of that will make it work.

There are a couple of options, however. One is to get a PCMCIA card that has a DVI-out (like Margi's Display-to-Go adapter. With this, you can get Dr. Bott's DVIator to adapt DVI to ADC.

Another option is to get an external PCI enclosure (looks like a small computer minitower... don't remember who makes them). Then, get a PCI card with an ADC adapter like a Radeon card.

The least expensive option is to get another company's LCD that is compatible with an analog input. The video quality isn't as good as Apple's digital solution, but it'll save you a bundle. I can drive an external monitor at 1280x1024 in millions of colors with a decent refresh rate while using my laptop's screen as a primary monitor.

Hope this helps!

meetingpeopleiseasy  (op)
Sep 15, 2001, 01:49 PM

You saved my life!!!! I am refusing that order that was supposed to be delivered today. Thanks for the info, I totally spaced out on that!
Do you know of a good, 18-pin to 15 converter. I have a old teacher giving me his old 21"!

thanks again
http://www.december9.net

Aykew
Sep 16, 2001, 03:03 PM

I'm glad I could help! (Not every day I get to save someone's life...)
I can't think of any specifc brand of 18 to 15 pin converters, but I imagine you could just go down to your local mac store or computer megamart to find one that'll do the job.

Forum Links
Forum Rules