Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Please help me decipher my Kernel Panic!

Please help me decipher my Kernel Panic!
macfool2002
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2002, 06:10 PM

I have had my G4 933 1.5GB RAM for 4 months now. The only thing I added to the inside of the box was an ATI Radeon Mac Edition video card when I got it. It's ran OSX 10.1.5 great for the first 2 months. These last 2 months I get a kernel panic if my machine has been on for more than 30 minutes and I open the Startup Disk pane. The pane opens, begins to list my partitions and then I get the panic. It's fine if I go to this pane right after I restart my box, but if it's been more than 30 minutes, forget it.

This is what I got the last time I got the kernel panic.

panic(cpu0):allocbuf: kmem_alloc() 2 returned 3
Latest stack backtrace for cpu 0:
Backtrace:
0x00080b90 0x00080f30 (something similar 6 more times)
0x00172744 0x0017265c (something similar 5 more times)
Proceeding back via exception chain.
Exception state (sv=0x2bc3f800)
PC=0x7000442FC; MSR=0x0200d030; DAR=0x3fd57fce; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x702ba4a8; R1=0x02eda5a0; XCP=0x00000030; (0xC00 - System call)

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 5.5:
Thu May 30 14:51:26 PDT 2002; root:xnu-201.42.3 obj~1/RELEASE-PPC

Debugger(panic)

Waiting for remote debugger connection.
Options ...... Type
-------------- ----
continue...... 'c'
reboot........ 'r'

PLEASE help me with this if you can! When I get this kernel panic the only thing I can do is shut down the box by holding in the power button on the front of the box. Thanks in advance.

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 06:47 PM

Try holding shift down when starting up and then try to reproduce the panic. Holding shift down will make OS X _not_ load any non-core kexts. One more question, do you have Norton Utilities installed at all?

This panic doesn't have an kernel modules listed, so its a bit hard to track. have you submitted the panic to Apple?

Also, check your drives. Make sure that (if you have more than one HD) the boot drive is the Master drive and the other the slave. Same for CD drives, make sure one is master and one slave.

Beyond that, restore the machine to Apple factory configuration (take out extra RAM, put back in stock video card) and try to reproduce, then try to hold shift and reproduce with stock config.

Dan

normyzo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 06:49 PM

Also, unplug all non-essential USB and firewire devices. That may help isolate the problem so you at least know they aren't causing it.

dan

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2002, 03:49 AM

Run Disk First Aid repeatedly until it reports no problems for all of your disks.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules