Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17" B&W Apple Studio Display Finally Dying

17" B&W Apple Studio Display Finally Dying
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2004, 10:23 AM

Hey all,
After about 5 years of great use, it appears my 17" B&W Apple Studio Display is finally on it's last legs. It's been "popping" like crazy:

- MacNN: 17" Blue VGA monitor POPS.. LOUDLY!

- MacNN: 17" Studio Display R.I.P.?

- MacNN: Help B/W G3 Monitor keeps blinking on & off

- MacInTouch: Apple Studio Display Popping

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the costs might be to repair it (and where)? And, if it's kind of a ridiculous price to pay for a repair of monitor that's 5 years old (though it has worked well and I can't complain about its shelf-life at this point), will new displays like this work with a B&W G3 running OSX 10.3, though the price of reparing my current monitor would no doubt be less:

- Apple: 20" Cinema Display

That way, when the time comes for an upgrade to a G5, I'll already have the matching monitor.

Thanks in advance,
BD

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 11:24 AM

You'll need a PCI graphics card with a DVI connection to run the new aluminium displays, the card in your machine is a VGA card, and its a PCI slot not an AGP slot like newer Powermacs (according to lowendmac.com). I have no idea if there is such a thing as a Mac PCI graphics card with a DVI connection.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2004, 11:52 AM

Hmm,
Digging a little deeper, I saw this on the Apple Displays website:

"System Requirements: Power Mac G4 or G5 with NVIDIA graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500 or better graphics card and Mac OS X v10.2.8 or later"

I called Apple and the Tech Helper said that it would work on a Power Mac G3 as long as the graphics card matched the above spec's. Problem is; the above cards only go into G4's... so that was wrong. Apparently, getting my current monitor fixed is the only option. Is going to an Apple Store the best idea, or are they generally pricier than CompUSA, etc? And would the quality of the repair be any better at an Apple Store.

Thanks,
BD

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 01:38 PM

Trust me, it is not worth fixing it. If you have to go cheap you can get the same size CRT for about $100 from a PC shop.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 01:44 PM

17inch CRTs are old school and crap. You can get a 17 inch DVI LCD for 250. You can even get a 19 for 350-400 if you look in the right places. It is not worth the time or effort to fix, especially when the LCD will be sharper, brighter and easier on the eyes.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 01:51 PM

If you want to use one of the new 20" displays with your G3 Mac, it looks like an ATI Radeon 9200 will work great for you. You can buy it from Other World Computing for $127. Link: http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...m=ATI100436011
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2004, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. One last question:

- Would the ATI Radeon 9200 be re-usable when I purchase a G5?

What I mean is... is the ATI Radeon 9200 an upgrade for what normally comes with a G5? I'm curious if I can re-use it later on; or if the G5's have some newer or faster tech with their graphics cards.

Thanks a ton!
BD

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 03:37 PM

And you can save money by getting a Dell 20" widescreen display for about half the price of the Apple 20". They are pretty much equal in terms of image quality, the Dell just doesn't have a nice looking case. But for $500-$800, it's a great deal. $1300 for Apple's display is a complete ripoff.

Or if you want to spend less, there are plenty of great 17" LCDs around. You can keep your old graphics card if you buy a VGA capable LCD, or if you get a CRT. I got myself a 19" IBM monitor, refurbished, for $150 shipped, and it's an excellent display.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:
What I mean is... is the ATI Radeon 9200 an upgrade for what normally comes with a G5? I'm curious if I can re-use it later on; or if the G5's have some newer or faster tech with their graphics cards.
No, it would be a significant downgrade from the stock cards. But you could continue using it in a G5 for multiple displays. (The cards included with the G5 allow two displays; this card would allow two more.)

tooki

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 09:14 PM

Damn... I could start my own dance club with all of those monitors!

I think I may buy a cheaper LCD and hold off a few months for the complete G5 package (computer and monitor). Thanks for all of the help/advice folks,
BD

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2005, 02:46 AM

I have one of these monitors and had it fixed by Apple for free. Since then, I have sent 2 others to Apple to be fixed. One was my mothers, the other was my ex-girlfriends.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88195

Just reference this Article Number when you call. They will send out a box to overnight it to be repaired.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2005, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
And you can save money by getting a Dell 20" widescreen display for about half the price of the Apple 20". They are pretty much equal in terms of image quality, the Dell just doesn't have a nice looking case. But for $500-$800, it's a great deal. $1300 for Apple's display is a complete ripoff.

Or if you want to spend less, there are plenty of great 17" LCDs around. You can keep your old graphics card if you buy a VGA capable LCD, or if you get a CRT. I got myself a 19" IBM monitor, refurbished, for $150 shipped, and it's an excellent display.
I have a Dell 2001FP (standard 4:3 aspect ratio, 1600x1200). For me, the extra top-to-bottom resolution was more important than 80 extra side-to-side pixels (i.e., 1680x1050). I do a lot of writing, and the extra height allows more of a page to fit.

However, either monitor (2001FP or 2005FPW) delivers excellent image quality.

And, since you're running a G3, either monitor will accept a VGA input - thus you wont also need to buy a new video card.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by bgmccollum:
I have one of these monitors and had it fixed by Apple for free. Since then, I have sent 2 others to Apple to be fixed. One was my mothers, the other was my ex-girlfriends.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88195

Just reference this Article Number when you call. They will send out a box to overnight it to be repaired.

Big up bgmccollum,
I've decided to wait for a brand new monitor for when I purchase a G5. As to the above quote... I just called today (Moday, Feb. 14, 2005) and Apple is still honoring the Article Number, box and costs.

Awesome tip,
BD

macfool2002
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 06:42 PM

I sent in both of my 17" B&W's and Apple was great about getting them back to me quickly. Good as new and over 5 years old. Great CRT's until it comes time to switch to LCD.

OreoCookie
Mar 30, 2005, 07:11 PM

I second that they are not worth being fixed. If you consider a 20" Cinema Display and still run a B&W G3, maybe you should consider an iMac G5 instead. Significantly more horsepower than your current setup, small, silent, nice screen.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005, 07:58 PM

I agree that they shouldn't be fixed... paid to be fixed that is. I have just received my second one back from Apple, and the repairs where free on both. So, this can delay my purchase for just a bit longer.

Thanks,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules