Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why no iPhone app hype from the developers?

Why no iPhone app hype from the developers?
BillAvi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2008, 09:13 PM

Why haven't developers started to trumpet what they're working on? Are they forbidden by Apple? Usually developers release info on what they're working on to get you ready to spend, spend, spend. I mean, if 10 companies come out with near identical programs, the one that got promoted the most usually wins.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 11:12 AM

I'd guess NDA. Or saving to see if they're really ready to ship at WWDC.

QS

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 11:22 AM

Well, since iPhone development is still new, I don't see the benefit in letting the world know what you're working on.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 5, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by BillAvi View Post
I mean, if 10 companies come out with near identical programs <snip>
Well, I think that's just it. Companies and developers in general want to avoid a lot of copy-cat applications, so they're holding their cards close to their chest at the moment.

Developers want to hit the ground running when Apple finally lets the public have at the App Store. And at that point, there will likely be some apps that do the same thing. The differences will be how well they do those things, and spilling the beans in public will give their competition a leg up.

And since Apple holds the keys to Developer Program acceptance and application distribution, there's the potential for a situation where Developer A, who has divulged lots about their innovative, unique app, may get beaten to the punch to actually appearing on the App Store by some free knock-off by Developer B. Or likewise for iFund submissions.

Once the App Store is released, and the Developer Program is open to all developers (instead of a hand-picked few), you'll see the openness we're used to, as the speed to market will be more in the developer's hands, rather than Apple's.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2008, 08:31 PM

Yup.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2008, 01:32 AM

I was actually wondering the exact same thing now that I nabbed myself an iPhone. It is going to be super exciting

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 11:59 AM

The NDA certainly is part of it, but there is no reason why you'd tell everyone what you are working on in today's world.

BillAvi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 05:47 PM

Hey. To follow up my original post, I just got an email from SplashData informing me that they're working on a version for the iPhone

iPhone Users: Coming Soon!

SplashID for iPhone is in development and should be released along with the on-device App Store slated for release in late June. Sign up to be notified.

This is what I wanted - companies with existing products announcing that they were porting their apps for the iPhone - what's the harm in announcing it? Hopefully eReader and Intuit will make similar announcements, then I can dump my TX. I'd also like FireViewer, but I'm not holding my breath.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2008, 06:01 PM

OK. Good point. How about this. We're in the top 10 companies for Windows Mobile. Pocket Informant is the PIM app on Windows Mobile. We've had OEM deals with Hewlett Packard, Franklin Covey, and others. We're almost done porting Pocket Informant to the BlackBerry and we have a working version on the iPhone right now.

Some News on Pocket Informant & Note2Self for iPhone | Just Another iPhone Blog

We sent an email to our customers a month ago about it and have had an incredible response on it as well. So does that fit? I know a lot of people have been wanting a good Tasks app on the iPhone. We've got the best one on any mobile platform and its why we keep getting calls from major GTD, book publishers, and so on for task management.

Version 1.0 for iPhone will be far simpler than what we have on the other platforms because we only had 6 months to work on it, but it will still be really nice. And to note, we don't port software. We design it and write it especially for that platform. There are concepts and features we keep through all our versions, but we don't port the look or the UI between platforms. The iPhone version is designed as a fully touch, fully iPhone encompassing app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules