Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV questions.

Apple TV questions.
Feek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 02:07 PM

I bought an AppleTV last week, sort of spur of the moment but it's something I'd been thinking about for a while and the opportunity arose so I just went for it.

I'm not syncing a huge amount of content to it just yet but am using it to connect to my iTunes library so I'm working like mad with VisualHub to convert stuff to a suitable format and that's going well.

What's annoying me slightly is the cover art though. I've been saving images with a transparent background in .png format and applying them to the TV Shows and movies that I've got in my iTunes.

When I scroll through the items on the AppleTV, sometimes the transparency works but other times it changes and the transparent parts appear as bright white which is a bit offputting and annoying considering the time I spent sorting the images out.

The other question is regarding time - How long should it take from me adding stuff in iTunes to the AppleTV picking it up? I've turned the box off and back on again but it still seems to take a while before it notices any changes. I know I've got nothing set to sync out to the AppleTV but will just hitting sync and forcing the two to talk do the job?

It's the image thing that's annoying me most though.

Anyone had this problem and or know a fix for it? I don't really want to have to save down to .gif for the transparency to work but I will if I absolutely have to.

Thanks

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2008, 12:01 AM

I could easily be wrong, but in my experience with live video production, if a .PNG file or image sequence is dropping the alpha it's usually because the memory cache in the graphics cards is choking. Could be the integrated Nvidia graphics getting pissed. Are you viewing it in cover flow? Because then the processor would be translating, and scaling multiple .PNGs at once and might be slowing it down. Though I doubt this is actually it, since the graphics in ATV are allegedly pretty decent for just a little guy. Dunno. Just a thought
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:09 PM

Have you tried restoring it?

Feek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2008, 07:12 AM

I've discovered that the transparent thing is a known issue and I've worked around it by simply changing the backgrounds to black instead of transparent and they blend in with the black background of the AppleTV display perfectly.

The refreshing of the contents does require a manual bash of the sync button.

Forum Links
Forum Rules