Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Subscribed calendars, iPhone, and MobileMe

Subscribed calendars, iPhone, and MobileMe
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 07:26 PM

Now that MobileMe and OTA syncing seems to be working, I have a question to ask the masses. I have several subscribed calendars in iCal; some sports team schedules via Yahoo! and the birthdays list from the Address Book. They all show up on iCal, but not on the iPhone or in MobileMe. The Birthdays calendar is set to publish, but the others are not (not surprising as they come from the web already).

How do I get the Birthdays calendar (fed from Address Book) to sync with the iPhone via MobileMe?

(EDIT: OK, disregard...twenty seconds after I posted this, I found the setting on the MobileMe calendar>preferences page.)

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 07:45 PM

One cant sync subscribed calendars via MobileMe!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

frdmfghtr  (op)
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 08:01 PM

Apparently...time to send a message to MobileMe tech support. I have birthdays in my address book, they show up in iCal, and (partially) on MobileMe, but don't go to my iPhone.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 09:07 PM

I found sort of a workaround for this issue (aside from the Birthdays calendar) on Macworld.com:

In the Subscriptions section of iCal, click on the subscribed calendar that you’d like to sync with MobileMe, then choose File -> Export. When the Save dialog appears, name your exported file and pick a save location—this is a temporary file, so neither the name nor location are all that important. Now choose File -> Import, select Import an iCal File on the dialog that appears, then click Import. A standard Open dialog will then appear; navigate to the file you just exported, select it, and click Import. One final dialog will appear, asking you to choose a destination calendar for these imported events. Click the pop-up menu and choose New Calendar (at the very bottom), then click OK.

iCal will then import your subscribed calendar’s events into a normal static calendar. You can rename this calendar in the sidebar, if you want—I’ve taken to prefacing these calendars with static-, so I know they’re imports of subscribed calendars. (Although you can create a calendar group on your Mac to group all these calendars together, calendar groups are ignored on the iPhone/iPod touch, so you’ll probably want to use a naming scheme of some sort as well.) As a final step, uncheck the subscribed version of the calendar on your Mac, so you don’t see duplicate events.
Full article here.

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:10 PM

Wish multiple users including iPhones could edit my calendars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules