Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Marketplace Postwhores

Marketplace Postwhores
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 08:48 AM

I'm curious if you guys plan on doing anything when this occurs.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Aug 21, 2008 at 09:08 AM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2008, 08:51 AM

The link is dead

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 08:55 AM

Odd, still works for me.

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2008, 09:07 AM

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 09:08 AM

Edited, try it now guys.

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2008, 09:35 AM

Like 5 posts in the last few days.
Something to sell, buy and some random advice.

What's the problem?

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by davidg14 View Post
Like 5 posts in the last few days.
Something to sell, buy and some random advice.

What's the problem?
The streak of one line posts he did to get to 100 posts.

davidg14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2008, 10:02 AM

Sorry didn't know this 100 post rule.

moep
Senior User
Aug 21, 2008, 11:13 AM

Maybe accounts should have a post count of 100 AND be registered for a minimum of 3 months (for example) to be eligible for posting on the Marketplace?

or just

"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Railroader
Banned
Aug 21, 2008, 11:22 AM

Eh, it is annoying.

I kind of understand the 100 post count rule. I guess it does discourage the fly-by-night potential scammer, but the rest of us have to put up with annoying one-liners and "me to"s posting. But what's to stop someone from scamming after 100 posts?

Simply, buyer be ware. Before I buy from a Market Place poster, I will read his previous posts.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2008, 12:53 PM

me too

couldn't resist

OreoCookie
Aug 21, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Eh, it is annoying.

I kind of understand the 100 post count rule. I guess it does discourage the fly-by-night potential scammer, but the rest of us have to put up with annoying one-liners and "me to"s posting. But what's to stop someone from scamming after 100 posts?
The Marketplace was (much to my surprise) the most taxing subforum here on MacNN. It has worn out experienced mods and we had to change something, because unlike any other forum, it's serious business and about money. The 100 post rule seemed reasonable to exclude scammers and such from the start. This guy is just the exception to the rule (Make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.). We will deal with him. I'm not a mod in the Marketplace, but I'll give the local mods and admins a heads up.

Perhaps something similar to macrumors will help: stop making posts in the Marketplace count.

So hang in there, guys.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So hang in there, guys.
Yeah, it's not like I'm upset or anything, but it's definitely the predictable side-effect of the rule, and I thought you guys might wanna know.

Far as I can tell (I glanced at his history) I think it's a former seller.
I take it there's no way to grandfather some of these guys in?

reader50
Administrator
Aug 21, 2008, 01:35 PM

It would be impractical of staff time to try and spot "padders" - this guy made it obvious, but what if he'd put more time into fleshing out his answers? A day's work consulting Search, Apple Support, and a few other helpful sites would allow some very good answers.

You'd have to spot the padding based on a few days of heavy replies, followed by Marketplace threads, followed by no further tech-forum replies. I'm not even sure we should be against helpful posts in the tech forums. The Marketplace mods can do that if they like - it's up to them if they want to interpret the rule in that fashion.

I view the rule as a simple block against insta-scammer arrivals, and as a way to force research info to be available. Prospective customers can Search a poster, and get at lest 100 posts to examine. They'll see padding posts.

We can't make the Marketplace foolproof. Customers still have to practice due diligence, and check the info we've made available. Which seems to have happened - the poster Dakar pointed out has since posted his Market thread. No replies so far - looks like people are seeing the padding posts.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 01:51 PM

I'm not concerned with sussing these guys out. If you're posting to get to 100 and no one notices, then it couldn't have been that bad. But if someone is being obvious about it, should we ignore it? Report them? (Seems strong. And then what's the appropriate action against them? Delete the whore-like posts?)

Sure he could have fleshed out his replies better, but with the ones in gaming (which is why I noticed), it's my contention that even if he wrote stuff that was reply worthy, it'd be of no use, since I think it's unlikely he's going continue any discussion he starts (once he hits 100). That would be my only other problem with the matter.

Don't get me wrong Reader, I don't think this is an issue yet, but this event just highlights what was my only concern with the 100 post requirement, and I only noticed it because some of it was in one of the lesser traveled forums.
[/end serious Dakar]

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 02:14 PM

I think the 100 post rule and the previous enforcement of the rule has been entirely adequate. It's absolutely true that you cannot make a fool-proof set of rules. But there's no need to either. All that's needed is a little extra action. This guy has made it very easy. Just ban him, delete his market and whore posts and we're back to regular business.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
previous enforcement of the rule has been entirely adequate.
Dude, the rule has been in effect not even two months.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 02:34 PM

And how many cases have we had to discuss so far? Looks pretty good to me. All I'm trying to say is that it's my impression the mods seem to have a reasonable approach at handling these things.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 02:49 PM

And how many cases have we had to discuss so far?
How many people do you think have signed up just for the Marketplace in that time? C'mon less than two months is a terrible sample size.

All I'm trying to say is that it's my impression the mods seem to have a reasonable approach at handling these things.
And all I'm asking is how should I handle any suspected (ha) postwhores in the future.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 21, 2008, 02:54 PM

The problem with the rule, is that it causes some of the drama to flood into other forums. I am not saying it is a major deal, but it does seem to promote the +1 and "me too" posting styles.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 21, 2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
... or just

banhimin3.jpg
This guy has made it very easy. Just ban him, delete his market and whore posts and we're back to regular business.
Boy, you guys are tough.

I checked his previous posts, the ones before the padding. He's been around a couple years, and appears to be a normal Marketplace participant, with no complaints against him. The 100-rule is a local Market one, and his posts in other forums do not break any general rules.

If we modify the 100-posts rule to lower it for longer-term members (it's being considered) then he might qualify without the padding. So we'd be banning him without warning for not breaking any rules, and possibly because we didn't make up our minds fast enough on a market rule tweak.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Boy, you guys are tough.
Hmmm...I thought there was a rule against threads about other members?

I'm gonna tell this guy and suggest he put in a complaint.

Mods and admins even posted in it.

Is there rules for certain people and not others?

I suggest deleting the link

AND...

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2008, 04:40 AM

Message sent.

There is a thread about you in the feedback forum. This is against the rules. No threads about other members.

I'd suggest you visit this thread and submit a complaint against the original thread starter.

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...s/#post3711334

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2008, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by D. S. Troyer View Post
This thread is not about this guy, but about how to handle post whoring by people who want to post in the Marketplace. This guy was a recent example for such behavior. I see no violation of the forum rules in this thread.

Cold Warrior
Aug 22, 2008, 08:23 AM

Mods and admins even posted in it.

Is there rules for certain people and not others?

I suggest deleting the link

AND...
Message sent.
This is a legit feedback thread because it's about general policy. The original link was for reference to frame the discussion.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 09:16 AM

I checked his previous posts, the ones before the padding. He's been around a couple years, and appears to be a normal Marketplace participant,
That's pretty much the impression I got from a quick glance at his post history. I figured he was a former seller who got douched by the new rules. Which is why I suggested the possibility of grandfathering some people in.

You didn't answer my question though – if someone (particularly a member with less than one or two stars) suddenly does some massive one line replies in one of the forums, should we report it as possible padding or just ignore it and hope the system takes care of it?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2008, 11:56 AM

At 5000 posts I'm gonna spam the marketplace. Al-most ... there!

Railroader
Banned
Aug 22, 2008, 12:15 PM

I thought I was the only one.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 22, 2008, 01:42 PM

Feedback allows a bit more than other forums, and as pointed out by others, the question is primarily aimed at policy. Also, the thread title is "Marketplace Postwhores" which is incompatible with a single member.

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
You didn't answer my question though – if someone (particularly a member with less than one or two stars) suddenly does some massive one line replies in one of the forums, should we report it as possible padding or just ignore it and hope the system takes care of it?
We're playing it by ear so far. If the posts are of no value to the forums they are in, you could report it for general post-whoring, or off-topic. Otherwise, leave the padding posts for prospective customers to see.

A Marketplace rule can't apply outside the Marketplace - that's not fair to the other forums. Sound reasonable enough?

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2008, 06:31 PM

Message sent.
I appreciate your concern, but I do believe it is a valid topic that needs to be discussed. Yes, I was trying to get up to 100 posts, but didn't think I was violating any rules.

I've successfully traded in the forums before the 100 post rule and was a bit upset when it was initiated. Being as I read the forums a lot, but have little to add to discussions or the time to really post I thought it was unfair. Perhaps a trader rating system like a few other forums I've trade in would be a valuable addition. I traded a 16GB iPod touch here before the 100 post rule without issues. That in addition to my other trades would give me a pretty good feedback rating here allowing others to see that I can be trusted. That also lets you be cautious of people with 0 feedback selling a new MacBook for $400 or something crazy like that.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2008, 12:48 AM

Feedback allows a bit more than other forums, and as pointed out by others, the question is primarily aimed at policy. Also, the thread title is "Marketplace Postwhores" which is incompatible with a single member.

Most of the discussion was about a certain member. That and a link to this member makes your point moot and it fails. No member had to be singled out.

Link should be deleted.

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2008, 03:41 AM

Well I'm a former seller and now that the 100 post went into place I have to make like 70 semi intelligent posts to resume selling I have like 100 private messages though.

OreoCookie
Aug 23, 2008, 05:08 AM

@bpl323,macwall
You can pm a mod or an admin, about this. We can make exception if the Marketplace mods agree (this is only for people who already have a track record here).

@Atomic Rooster
It should have been clear from the start (i. e. as soon as staff has chimed in) that we think this is a legit feedback thread. Even the member who you're trying to `protect' agrees with this. He has been treated fairly. Without the link, I doubt anyone would really understand what this thread is all about.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 23, 2008 at 05:22 AM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by macwall View Post
Well I'm a former seller and now that the 100 post went into place I have to make like 70 semi intelligent posts to resume selling I have like 100 private messages though.
Semi intelligent? You haven't looked in the lounge have you. There's nothing intelligent going on in there

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2008, 10:55 AM

We're playing it by ear so far. If the posts are of no value to the forums they are in, you could report it for general post-whoring, or off-topic. Otherwise, leave the padding posts for prospective customers to see.
Alright.

@Atomic Rooster
h, that's who it was? I was wondering why a relative newb was so uppity.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
h, that's who it was? I was wondering why a relative newb was so uppity.
And I thought Oreo had just mixed the names up.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 04:27 AM

It would be impractical of staff time to try and spot "padders" - this guy made it obvious, but what if he'd put more time into fleshing out his answers? A day's work consulting Search, Apple Support, and a few other helpful sites would allow some very good answers.
That would qualify as useful content, though, which is not subject to complaints.

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2008, 05:34 AM

And I thought Oreo had just mixed the names up.
I often do mix things up when half of my brain is still in Hilbert space.
This was not one of those times

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 08:33 AM

I often do mix things up when half of my brain is still in Hilbert space.
Interesting. I usually had trouble even getting a small party of my brain into Hilbert space. And you manage to keep half of it there for prolonged periods of time? I'm impressed.

OreoCookie
Aug 27, 2008, 10:54 AM

I usually try to get fully submerged. It requires training. Especially finding your way back out is difficult in infinite dimensions

Forum Links
Forum Rules