Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3.0 SMS Notification Still Not Private?

3.0 SMS Notification Still Not Private?
bigsmoke
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 10:56 AM

Am I missing something? Or is there still NO way to completely disable SMS notification pop ups?

I thought I saw a screenshot where SMS would have a notification ability that you could turn off?

I have a notifications part of my settings (bc i downloaded the AP news app) and it's turned off, but I still get SMS popups.

On Messages settings, I only have show preview and repeat alert options (both turned off)

Did they take this out???

Seems such a basic function. When I'm sharing my phone with colleagues, kids, etc, i do NOT want ANY SMS popups!

Any ideas?

thx

Kfunk
Jul 2, 2009, 11:05 AM

Does Settings>Messages>Show Preview (off) not work? I've never tried it but I assumed that would fix the problem.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kfunk View Post
Does Settings>Messages>Show Preview (off) not work? I've never tried it but I assumed that would fix the problem.
Works for me. You still get the pop-up but it just says the name of the person.

bigsmoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 04:58 PM

how with 3.0 can I disable the popup?

it's too tempting for someone to see "text message" and not to click view. it also interrupts everything.

I don't want any notifications. when i click on the SMS app, i will discover if i have any new ones to read.

bigsmoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 06:55 PM

to the 3.1 beta testers, does the pop up disable notification option appear with mms installed??

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2009, 05:35 AM

If you enable the passcode lock, SMS and missed call popups only show that you received a call or SMS (and possibly when, I don't quite remember) but no sender information.

bigsmoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2009, 08:59 PM

to the 3.1 beta tester, that's exactly the same functionality as 3.0!

not sure why this simple act of privacy has waited for over a year and 3 major software upgrades.

I don't want anyone to know when I get a text, who's texting me, etc etc

pretty simple notification option.

is this not available EVEN with mms installed?

If my phone is in my bosses hand when checking analytics, I don't need a pop up coming up that says

"text message
wife"

with an option to view or disable.

totally not cool.... may have to jailbreak my phone if not fixed with 3.1!!!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 5, 2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
If my phone is in my bosses hand when checking analytics, ....
I would like to be able to understand this statement. I can't imaging a situation where my boss would want/need/be entitled to access to my phone. Please explain this to me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 10:45 AM

Cell phones are personal devices I don't see why any manufacturer would bother putting in this setting. If you are that concerned about your privacy in even getting an SMS you shouldn't be handing over your phone to anyone in the first place. The privacy controls of the passcode lock and the sms preview are sufficient for 99.99% of people so I doubt even the jailbroken versions would help.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2009, 11:59 PM

If my phone is in my bosses hand when checking analytics
Yes, I am a bit lost also, why would your boss be using your personal phone?

Let your boss buy you a phone just for work if he wants to use it sometimes!

bigsmoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2009, 08:01 AM

Wow. I really didn't expect the confusion. It's not a crazy request for having the choice of bow I want to be notified. Like pobably many of you I receive over 90 emails daily and probably 40 text messages.

Just like I do with email, I want to be in control of when and bow I check my own incoming communications. With or without my phone in my bosses hands (a pc man who swears the iPhone is all hype), I don't want to be interrupted.

Also as for the 99.99 percent comment, this functionality is built into the is of

Android
palm
windows mobile
blackberry

etc.

And is a clear part of our notifications setting for every push app sans SMS. WTF??

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 6, 2009, 02:19 PM

Let's try this again:

From day 1 (version 1.0), the iPhone has disabled SMS popups if you use the passcode lock on your iPhone.

So if you set the passcode lock, you will not get SMS or MMS popups.

Any questions?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 02:23 PM

Tooki, could you please be MORE clear, I don't think that this would really sink in for everyone bitching in this thread

-t

mcy1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2009, 10:05 PM

Many people seem to have a great amount of interest in an iPhone. As a result, often people are interested to see you demonstrate features, including friends, spouses, bosses, and so while you are demonstrating features, it's quite irritating to have a message of ANY KIND pop up in the midst of what you are doing. Further, if you are writing an email, browsing the web, playing a game, etc, why MUST you read or 'ignore' the popped up SMS message on your screen? I love the iPhone, but even my crappy Treo was capable of a simple vibration and a little icon in it's menu bar. It didn't require me to take action on the message right away. Whether or not you have the password enabled, there's still something to deal with, whether it's the immediate message popping up while you are doing another task, or it's the info that so and so left you a text while your phone was locked and in password mode. I'd like the ability to turn this off. It seems simple to do, and when my iPhone 3G was pwn'd, I was able to enable this simple feature (the actual reason I pwn'd the phone at all!) But back on official 3.0, I have hoped that they'd get around to this.. but alas, it's still not to be. And it's no wonder, since half the posters on here can't see the value, or understand the reasoning, why would Apple programmers see the value??

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 11:07 PM

^^^Well said. I'm amazed at how snotty everyone has been to the OP. I agree that the inability to turn of SMS notifications is totally lame on Apple's part.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 04:04 AM

Lame ? I dunno.

I can think of more useful things Apple could waste their time on. Just not a big deal for most people.
If you are concerned about security, you have a passcode lock activated anyways.

Other than that, for those concerned about their boss using their phones, or concerned about incoming text messages while demoing their iPhones, I really have no advise.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
^^^Well said. I'm amazed at how snotty everyone has been to the OP. I agree that the inability to turn of SMS notifications is totally lame on Apple's part.
I don't think anyone's been that snotty. The OP has been given, rather politely, specific directions for doing what he wanted to do, and he's either ignored those posts or misinterpreted them

I'm still curious why a SMS notification of any kind "requires" action. Especially considering how AT&T can have delays of hours on delivery of SMS messages, why would anyone consider a notification "urgent" anyway?

I had an interview yesterday, and just had my iPhone on vibrate. I got a number of emails and some texts during the interview and since the phone was not in my pocket, I didn't even notice it vibrate for each mail and text. I can't understand why anyone in any situation would expect that a text notification MUST be attended to instantly...

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 08:12 AM

mcy1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2009, 10:56 PM

I appreciate that not everyone uses their phone in the same way. I wasn't in any way saying that an SMS becomes urgent and must be replied to instantly. What I _was_ saying was that the iphone's method of SMS delivery, if in use when an SMS arrives, requires that the user either read the message (and stop the task they were already doing) or click a 'button' on the screen to ignore the message. Either way, that's an interruption that requires the operator to pause in their task at hand. If that doesn't bother you, that's fine with me. But it does bother me, and I'd like the ability to switch it off. Palm has it. Blackberry has it.. it's not a reinvention of the wheel. It's not asking for something major. It's not some odd strange miracle that nobody else was able to deliver on. It's not 'urgent' but it's not how I want it, and (thank you Gordy) I made my request to Apple and hopefully by the next point-rev it'll finally get added.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2009, 08:14 AM

Dismissing a notification window is indeed an interruption in whatever you're doing, and I can see that this could be at least unpleasant at times. I don't know how they'd set up notifications without a modeless window, but yes, that does sound like a useful option.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2009, 12:11 AM

If my phone is in my wife's hand when checking facebook, I don't need a pop up coming up that says

"text message
mistress"

with an option to view or disable.
Fixed

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eyenigma
Jul 13, 2009, 02:16 AM

If my phone is in my bosses hand when checking analytics, ....
I think you had a point when there was no option to turn off the preview... but this would be no different if using any other phone. Having no notification of any kind... for that, why not just have your wife email you instead? Or? If you have a boss with poor boundaries, then that seems to be the real issue. And it would be no different if your boss was sitting at your computer and you received a message preview popup on your desktop via an email.

bigsmoke  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2009, 09:52 AM

To all the haters, here's the simple clarity: I am not a newbie. i have owned the iphone since day 3 of its original launch, and i have owned macs since the mac s/e

my point is simple. I do not want a pop up interruption of ANY KIND telling me I have a SMS message. Very basic.

In fact, i don't want pop ups for ANYTHING. Apple built this disable feature into the push notification settings screen, but forgot to apply that to its own sms.

You can argue my reasons / motivations as legitimate or not on your own time. You can also question (unfaithfully) my understanding of the passcode lock, etc which does NOT achieve my goal of NO POP UPS OF ANYTHING AT ALL.

It's a small privacy / customization add, that's basic on every other smartphone on the market. And its a regretful miss on my favorite company's part for my favorite phone

done

zenmeister
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2009, 11:06 AM

mcy1 - Was wondering if you ever resolved the issue of privatizing your sms messages. I am complete agreement with you about this issue. Was also curious if you know how to deal with the same exact issue with the new Android 2.0 OS on the Droid. Same thing there. Any ideas, fixes or patches? Thanks

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2009, 12:12 PM

may have to jailbreak my phone if not fixed with 3.1!!!
How will this help?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2009, 10:39 PM

To all the haters, here's the simple clarity: I am not a newbie. i have owned the iphone since day 3 of its original launch, and i have owned macs since the mac s/e

my point is simple. I do not want a pop up interruption of ANY KIND telling me I have a SMS message. Very basic.

In fact, i don't want pop ups for ANYTHING. Apple built this disable feature into the push notification settings screen, but forgot to apply that to its own sms.

You can argue my reasons / motivations as legitimate or not on your own time. You can also question (unfaithfully) my understanding of the passcode lock, etc which does NOT achieve my goal of NO POP UPS OF ANYTHING AT ALL.

It's a small privacy / customization add, that's basic on every other smartphone on the market. And its a regretful miss on my favorite company's part for my favorite phone

done
I agree that this should be an option. I don't think it's a major issue to very many people (my phone stays in a drawer when I am not using it while at work), but if it's enough of an issue and Apple understands why it's an issue, Apple will probably provide this as a feature. So if you haven't been sending lots of email to Apple about this, I'd start now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules