Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook 5300cs questions

powerbook 5300cs questions
ssmaman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2003, 06:10 AM

I know that many of you have the new Ti/Alu books, but I have a powerbook 5300cs from 1996 that I have had lying around for a coupe of years now. It runs system 7.6. What is the highest system on this machine that anyone has tried succesfully? Can I simply install something like system 8.0 over the old system? To save valuable hard drive space (500MB!!) what is a really slim web browser that I could use. Any other advice to get this beauty up and running would be greatly appreciated.

RH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2003, 03:50 PM

Before stepping up to my now old powerbook G4 400 I used a 5300 cs for all my daily work, college, office work, etc. I found that 8.6 worked quite well, HFS+ helped me out with the original 500 MB hard drive if I recall correctly. Never had any problems with 9.04 either. Office 98 and Appleworks 5 and 6 worked well as did Netscape 4.79 and (cough, cough) Internet Explorer 4. If I can remember I also used Outlook and Outlook express without much difficulty. I have heard that with a wi-fi pc card and drivers from ioxperts you can have airport work with OS 9. But I never tried it. Brings back fond memories of that little laptop. Some may say that they suck and tend to be the worst laptops Apple ever made. However, I never had a problem with mine.

Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules