Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how to check Epson ink levels in OSX?

how to check Epson ink levels in OSX?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2002, 12:01 AM

Hi All,

Anybody know how I can check ink levels for my Epson 1290 printer when I'm booted into OSX? (Epson Monitor, which runs under Classic, won't communicate with the printer when I'm in OSX).

Please don't tell me I have to boot into 9 just to check ink levels!!

Thanks for any help,

Chas

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2002, 12:15 AM

Open the "Print Center" in your Utilities folder. Select the printer and press the "Configure" button in the toolbar. In the printer Utility again select your printer, press OK, then select EPSON StatusMonitor.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2002, 03:19 AM

Ahh, thank you very much!

(and I thought I'd clicked on just about every button at every level!)

...5 mins later...
Curses! I keep getting a message that there is a communication error (funny, as the printer has been printing even as I tried to check the ink levels).

On that issue, I have been having wierd communications problems with this setup (printing from a G4/500 and OSX 10.2.2): every print job gets stopped when I send them (I have to click "resume" for each one as they get to the top of the print queue). I never had that problem before I upgraded from OS9.

Anybody else with this problem?

Well, at least I know how to (theoretically) check my ink levels now.

Thanks again!

Chas
( Last edited by chasg; Dec 13, 2002 at 03:25 AM. )

MickS
Senior User
Dec 13, 2002, 07:12 AM

I have an Epson 1290 next to me at the moment connected to an iMac DV running International English 10.2.2.

No communication problems here. The printer is connected via a powered 4 port USB hub using the cable that came with it.

The machine had OS X on it when it was bought and has been upgraded to 10.2. When doing the 10.2 upgrade I chose not to install the non-Epson printer drivers.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2002, 09:47 AM

Hey MickS,

Thaks for that info (at least I know it's possible for this config to actually work properly!)

I have no idea how to approach fixing this, besides reinstalling the drivers, which I've done, and cycling the power on the printer (there have been no changes to any hardware since upgrading to OSX, so cables etc shouldn't be the problem).

Not used to not knowing how to fix stuff (hey, ask me an OS9 question, no probs, but OSX? Approaching helpless! Arrgh!)

Any suggestions from anyone? Help?

Chas

sibbitts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 11:28 PM

Nice to see someone else having the same problem. Here's what I figured out when I was having similar problem with my 2000P USB printer. After going through all the standard troubleshooting stuff I took a shot at closing down Classic while in osX. I didn't reboot, I just shut Classic down. Then I went back into the check ink levels and bam, it worked like a champ. Then I fired up Classic again, tried the ink level check and boom, communication error. Shut down Classic and bam, no communication problems.

I'm guessing that Classic sucks up the reply from the printer and doesn't pass it along to osX. So, the work around is that if you're going to use a native osX app, like Photoshop 7, you better shut classic down. Which means you're looking at a real pain in the butt if you're running os9 office and pshop 7.

Does anybody know if Jaguar fixes this or is there a patch from Epson or Apple?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by chasg:
Curses! I keep getting a message that there is a communication error (funny, as the printer has been printing even as I tried to check the ink levels).
I get the same communication error with my Stylus Color 760 while printing, but when I check ink level when the printer is idle I have no problems.

And sibbitts, I'm running 10.2.3.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 09:00 PM

I was able to check ink levels in 10.2 using the EPSON Printer Utility, but that doesn't work with the new Apple drivers in 10.3. The "Utility" button in the print software is greyed out, and if I manually run the EPSON Printer Utility from the Library directory, the printer does not show up in the printers list.

Don't tell me I cannot check the ink levels or clean the head anymore!

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2003, 05:53 AM

fmalloy,

Sadly, I can confirm not being able to use the utility in 10.3 (it runs, but the printer does not show).

I posted a query in another forum, and got one reply from a person using 10.3 saying that he could use the utility, and several other replies saying that I should just boot into Classic and run the old utility from there (not exactly what I was hoping to do)

Anybody else successfully run the Epson Printer Utility in 10.3?

Chas

Jeff75
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 09:28 AM

I have an Epson 1280 printer and under 10.3.1 I have no problems using the printer utility to check ink levels, etc. I don't have Classic running. Actually, I don't think I've used Classic on this machine! (MDD dual 1.0 Ghz)
MBP 17" Core i7 matte screen; iPad 16Gb 3G

MacMatt
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Open the "Print Center" in your Utilities folder. Select the printer and press the "Configure" button in the toolbar. In the printer Utility again select your printer, press OK, then select EPSON StatusMonitor.
Thanks!
I've used my Epson 740 with no problems for a while now, but had never been aware of this useful check page...

It's no longer called the "Print Center" on my Mac since upgrading to 10.3.1...It's now the "Print Setup Utility".

Matt

RH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 02:44 PM

quote:
I was able to check ink levels in 10.2 using the EPSON Printer Utility, but that doesn't work with the new Apple drivers in 10.3. The "Utility" button in the print software is greyed out, and if I manually run the EPSON Printer Utility from the Library directory, the printer does not show up in the printers list.

If you are using an older Epson printer like my old 740i you will have to install the Epson Drivers from Disk 3 and make sure that your are not using the Gimp print drivers 10.3 will use by default for the older Epson Printers. If the gimp print drivers are used the utility option will be grayed out.

RH

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 01:30 PM

I ran the extra Epson installers on the 3rd Panther disc (my printer, a 1290, was not listed, but the 1270 was)

Epson Utility now sees my 1290, yay! (just in time to find out that the flashing red light on my printer means I'm out of colour ink :-)

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2003, 02:53 PM

I have installed the Epson drivers from Disk 3 of 10.3 and I cannot check my ink level from 10.3.1 either. I have the same problems as above (button greyed out in Print Centre, does not see printer when running the application directly) I am using an old 760 though. Anyone more successful with newer Epson printers?

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by RH:
If you are using an older Epson printer like my old 740i you will have to install the Epson Drivers from Disk 3 and make sure that your are not using the Gimp print drivers 10.3 will use by default for the older Epson Printers. If the gimp print drivers are used the utility option will be grayed out.
RH
It is using the default Gimp print driver (it says "Gimp" in the printer name)

I sent an email to Epson and got a response back (the next day!) which recommended to install the the driver from Disk 3 just as you said. I will paste the full instructions here.

So, I will do this. I want to confirm - I'll still be able to print from my PowerBook over AirPort, right?

Thanks for the help!
Frank

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 03:08 PM

From Epson:

To correct the issue you are experiencing, we will perform a complete
removal of the files and reinstall the driver.

1. Double click on the MAC HARD DRIVE
2. Double click on the LIBRARY folder
3. Double click on the PRINTERS folder
4. Drag the EPSON folder to the trash can

*NOTE* If you receive an access denied error message, this indicates
that you do not have root access. You will need to contact Apple for
assistance on obtaining Root Access.

Then follow the steps below to install your printer in OS 10.3:

1) Insert the Panther Installation Disk #3 CD and double-click on the icon created by it on your desktop.
2) Double-click the Packages folder.
3) Double-click the EPSONPRINTERDRIVERS2.PKG folder.
4) Enter your administrator password and hit CONTINUE, then follow the prompts to complete the installation.
5) Make sure the printer is connected and turned on, then restart your computer.
6) After the computer restarts, open your PRINTER SETUP UTILITY (you
can open the printer utility by opening your HARD DRIVE, APPLICATIONS,
UTILITIES, PRINTER SETUP UTILITY).
7) If your printer is listed, simply close the print center and try to print. If not, click the ADD button.
8) In the window that appears, select EPSON USB from the drop-down
menu, then select your printer and hit ADD.
9) Try printing.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 07:40 PM

You dont HAVE to launch the printer center to use the Epson Print Utility in either Jag or Panther.....

You can launch it directly after turning on the printer.

In Jag, look in Application >> Utilities >>Epson Printer utility

In Panther look in Library >> Printers >>Epson >> Utilities >> Epson Printer Utility...

I just launched it in Panther w/ an SC860 on my B&W..

notta problemo
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Jonesy:
I have installed the Epson drivers from Disk 3 of 10.3 and I cannot check my ink level from 10.3.1 either. I have the same problems as above (button greyed out in Print Centre, does not see printer when running the application directly) I am using an old 760 though. Anyone more successful with newer Epson printers?
No problems in 10.3.x with an Epson Stylus 880.

Forum Links
Forum Rules