Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Possible Fix for 10.3.2 Slow Boot Problem

Possible Fix for 10.3.2 Slow Boot Problem
mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 12:52 PM

You might want to check out the thread here:

Apple Discussion Thread

It looks like a good fix to the slow boot problem.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

jocker
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 03:21 PM

hey cheers - worked like a charm!
AlBook G4 15", iMac 20"

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 03:49 PM

It turns out that all might not be roses with the fix. There is another discussion thread with a possibly safer command and an undo command for the first post here:

Apple Discussion Thread 2

The problem seems to be that the additional file generated by the first fix might conflict with future OS X updates. Hence the remove command. You'll have to read the thread fully to get the back and forth.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 05:41 PM

Here is a summary and all commands are on a single unbroken line (no returns, no line breaks in Terminal regardless of how they appear here). You will need to enter your administrative password in Terminal followed by a return after the command:

1. Command creates extra file, speeds up boot times, but might screw up future updates:

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin

2. Remove this command before installing any future OS X updates:

sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl

3. Possibly safer command that uses link (but apparently not recommended by Apple Technical Support):

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin

Edited: Used BBEdit Lite to save, and I cannot see any underscore characters. If you see an underscore character, change it to a space.

Edited again: I looked at this in Safari, Mozilla Firebird and Camino. I can't see any underscore chracters. I don't use IE or Netscape, so can't help you there.
( Last edited by mcsjgs; Dec 27, 2003 at 06:43 PM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2003, 06:01 PM

mcsjgs: Those are NOT underscores in those commands. They should be spaces!

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
mcsjgs: Those are NOT underscores in those commands. They should be spaces!
I'm not seeing underscores. I'm looking at the post with Safari. Let me check with another program.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
I'm not seeing underscores. I'm looking at the post with Safari. Let me check with another program.
I'm looking at the post with safari and see underscores right before /usr/sbin too.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 06:41 PM

Crap, you're right. I'll change and repost. Sorry.

Edited: Done.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 06:53 PM

I apologize for that error. Somehow, in copying and pasting the post between my computer and MacNN's board, two characters were changed from spaces to underline characters. In the original, I did a search and there are no underline characters. Don't know how it happened (an HTML thing?), but I apologize for the error.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 07:16 PM

Here is a summary and all commands are on a single unbroken line (no returns, no line breaks in Terminal regardless of how they appear here). You will need to enter your administrative password in Terminal followed by a return after the command:

1. Command creates extra file, speeds up boot times, but might screw up future updates:

sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin

3. Possibly safer command that uses link (but apparently not recommended by Apple Technical Support):

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin

Edited: Used BBEdit Lite to save, and I cannot see any underscore characters. If you see an underscore character, change it to a space.

Edited again: I looked at this in Safari, Mozilla Firebird and Camino. I can't see any underscore chracters. I don't use IE or Netscape, so can't help you there.
im sure apple technicians knew what they said. i don't think you'd have to to the undo command
before installing 10.3.3 as the technicians will probably fix that in the update (but possibly not the boot time). anyway, im about to go and try the cp command and ill try to post boot time before the command, the first boot, and the second boot.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 08:02 PM

3:21 before patch
3:20 on first restart
2:45 on second restart

One Way:

sudo� cp� /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl� /usr/sbin
To Remove:

Another Way:

not that bad...considering the setup (look at sig)
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 09:54 PM

I just tried to remove command and it came back with no such file or directory.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 11:20 PM

Before;

Dual 1.8 G5 Approx 1:15
1.25 G4 Powerbook Approx 1:45

After;
Both at about 45 secs!!! Woohoo

BatmanPPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 03:16 AM

I can't get to the apple discussion board to get full details but the tip seems to be a bunch of BS. Look in /etc/rc to find

--snip--
BootCacheControl=/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl
if [ ! -f $BootCacheControl ]; then
BootCacheControl=/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl
fi
if [ "${SafeBoot}" != "-x" -a -x "${BootCacheControl}" ]; then
${BootCacheControl} start
fi
-- end snip--

It's already checking for BootCacheControl inside BootCache.kext. If it exists it'll execute from there otherwise fallback and use /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl if it exists and is executable.
--
Mohammad A. Haque
http://www.haque.net/
mhaque|haque.net

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by BatmanPPC:
I can't get to the apple discussion board to get full details but the tip seems to be a bunch of BS. Look in /etc/rc to find

--snip--
BootCacheControl=/System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl
if [ ! -f $BootCacheControl ]; then
BootCacheControl=/usr/sbin/BootCacheControl
fi
if [ "${SafeBoot}" != "-x" -a -x "${BootCacheControl}" ]; then
${BootCacheControl} start
fi
-- end snip--

It's already checking for BootCacheControl inside BootCache.kext. If it exists it'll execute from there otherwise fallback and use /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl if it exists and is executable.
Look at my answer in the other thread. You really shouldn't cross-post, especially wrong information.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 11:52 AM

My boot times decreased dramatically from over a minute to less than 15 seconds.

I used the cp command then got nervous because of the extra file. Removed it.

Then ran the ln command. Same fast boot times. Literally from "checking disks" straight to login. Great improvement.

These commands solve half the equation. Boot times are now back to fast. But from login to full desktop is still slow. On my machine, every startup item is undergoing a prebinding routine which slows things down. Don't know why. Forced prebinding does not solve the problem.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 01:00 PM

Wow! Back to pre-10.3.2 boot times with that fix (16-17 turns of the spinning thingy instead of 30). But still get the beachball after the menubar, which I did not before 10.3.2.

Anyway, boot times are quite slow with the PB 17" 1.33 compared to some other machines. I always got no less than 16 turns of the spinning thingy (on Apple gray boot screen) since I got the machine, pre-installed with Panther.

Now, I am confused, do I have to remove anything I did before the next upgrade (10.3.3)?

Thanks all (new switcher here).

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by jgcan:
Now, I am confused, do I have to remove anything I did before the next upgrade (10.3.3)?
If you used the "cp" command, you should do the "sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl" before installing the next OS upgrade.
If you used the "ln -s" command, then you don't have to remove anything.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 01:38 PM

Is doing this perfectly safe ?

even if doing the "sudo In -s .... " thingy ?

jgcan
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
If you used the "cp" command, you should do the "sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl" before installing the next OS upgrade.
If you used the "ln -s" command, then you don't have to remove anything.
Ok, I did the cp one, now I want to change it now, so I just do:

and then the ln -s one? Need a reboot between the two?

Thanks

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 02:10 PM

I've tried all of the following:

The first command worked just fine and I decided to remove it and try the second command. So far I am unable to make the sudo ln -s command work. Any suggestions?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
I've tried all of the following:

The first command worked just fine and I decided to remove it and try the second command. So far I am unable to make the sudo ln -s command work. Any suggestions?
Apple's Software Update doesn't respect symbolic links. (It'll most likely just delete the symbolic link if it finds it and needs to replace it)

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 03:39 PM

Don't use this fix if you want to make use of Software Update. I had 2 available updates before the patch/fix - after this alleged fix I had none. Then I removed the fix and the updates were back

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Don't use this fix if you want to make use of Software Update. I had 2 available updates before the patch/fix - after this alleged fix I had none. Then I removed the fix and the updates were back
I think that the server for Software Update is down for maintenance. Nothing to do with this command (especially link command)

jgcan
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
Software update still works fine withe the fix applied for me .... try it again.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 04:58 PM

Tell us what you mean by "unable to make the sudo ln -s command work". The boot times don't improve? There's no symbolic link in /usr/sbin?

I did the Terminal command to create the link and it definitely showed up in /usr/sbin.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by hudson1:
Tell us what you mean by "unable to make the sudo ln -s command work". The boot times don't improve? There's no symbolic link in /usr/sbin?

I did the Terminal command to create the link and it definitely showed up in /usr/sbin.
I used the following command and I saw absolutely no improvement in my boot up times.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 08:15 PM

I can't understand why the first command (cp) would speed up your boot times, but the second (ln) wouldn't. Perhaps a Unix whiz could answer?

If the first one works for you, just keep a copy of the remove command handy and apply it before 10.3.3, I guess.

I don't think the first is harmful in any way. Actually, it looks as if Apple may have screwed the pooch by changing something in 10.3.2. I only removed the cp command because I was sure I would forget to remove it and ln worked for me.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2003, 10:15 PM

Finally back from my holiday vacation...

This was a nice treat/thread to find, as I have seen some considerable differences in boot time on my TiBook 667 DVI (using the second option)...

Thanks for the heads up!

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 11:47 PM

I can't understand why the first command (cp) would speed up your boot times, but the second (ln) wouldn't. Perhaps a Unix whiz could answer?

If the first one works for you, just keep a copy of the remove command handy and apply it before 10.3.3, I guess.

I don't think the first is harmful in any way. Actually, it looks as if Apple may have screwed the pooch by changing something in 10.3.2. I only removed the cp command because I was sure I would forget to remove it and ln worked for me.
I don't think you understand how the copy and link program work. The two commands we are executing are working because they are replacing a missing executable. For some reason the loginwindow process is calling BootCacheControl from /usr/sbin/. Now when apple released the 10.3.2 update, some, if not all, of the systems aren't getting this executable placed there. The second primary location of the executable is /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/. So by copying, or symbolically linking BootCacheControl from /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/ to /usr/sbin/, we are allowing the loginwindow process to complete expectedly.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 12:29 AM

Sounds good to me. And I would bet it was this way in 10.3 and 10.3.1.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 11:00 AM

How often do you guys reboot? For me it's so rare that I never really consider boot speed. I reboot on average every two weeks. I just sleep my computers when I am done with them, and reboot only when I install an apple update that requires it.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
How often do you guys reboot? For me it's so rare that I never really consider boot speed. I reboot on average every two weeks. I just sleep my computers when I am done with them, and reboot only when I install an apple update that requires it.
No doubt...I can wait for 10.3.3

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 29, 2003, 07:40 PM

Boot time before update: 1:45
Boot time after update: 1:00

Not bad for a symbolic link.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 09:44 PM

If I understand this thread correctly, and please forgive me if I don't, if one has run: "sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin," and now wishes to revert back to the way his system was, all he need do is run: "sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl"

Is that correct or have I had just a bit too much egg nog?

Many thanks!
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

sktrdie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 10:01 PM

i dont think its a good idea messing with ur system!
apple did it right...im sure there's some reason cuz of the boot slowdown!
anyway it will be fixed...its not a big prob anyway!
i would consider more the pb12" fan problem

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by sktrdie:
i dont think its a good idea messing with ur system!
apple did it right...im sure there's some reason cuz of the boot slowdown!
anyway it will be fixed...its not a big prob anyway!
i would consider more the pb12" fan problem
Fix your sig immediately...

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
If I understand this thread correctly, and please forgive me if I don't, if one has run: "sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin," and now wishes to revert back to the way his system was, all he need do is run: "sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl"

Is that correct or have I had just a bit too much egg nog?

Many thanks!
Your eggnog consumption is OK. You have it right.

dole
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 12:21 AM

This really hasn't helped me too much. I still get the spinning beachball for roughly 45 seconds after I login and I got 2 kernel panics rebooting after using the command.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 02:33 AM

Man, I love this forum!

Pre 10.3.2 update was around the 1:14.
Before 1:55 from Powerbutton till HD stops spinning.
Now 1:13.

Those 40 some seconds make a great difference. Ok, now I need to keep a place for the rm command for the future if needed.

Thanks so much.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 10:38 AM

mcsjgs,
Thanks for the prompt reply. And it is most reassuring to know my egg nog is not at fault.

FWIW, I ran the "sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl" and while it seemed to "take," I am not really sure as I can detect no noticable difference in start up times. Is there a way to check/verify that the sudo rm worked?
Harv
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 10:53 AM

In the process of applying this fix my BootCache.kext file got deleted. Could somebody please send me a copy? Or does really matter at this time? My only concern is future updates from Apple.

mcsjgs  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 11:11 AM

In the process of applying this fix my BootCache.kext file got deleted. Could somebody please send me a copy? Or does really matter at this time? My only concern is future updates from Apple.
You can extract it from your 10.3 CDs (or the 10.3.2 .pkg file) by using Pacifist here:

Pacifist by Charlessoft

At least I think you can extract a single kext file. Others are doing it with an audio kext file to fix an unrelated problem.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 11:31 AM

You can extract it from your 10.3 CDs (or the 10.3.2 .pkg file) by using Pacifist here:

Pacifist by Charlessoft

At least I think you can extract a single kext file. Others are doing it with an audio kext file to fix an unrelated problem.
I can't find it. Were would it be in the install package?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 11:46 AM

I can't find it. Were would it be in the install package?
Never mind I found it and extracted it. Thanks, Pacifist is a wonderful utility. However, something very interesting happened when I extracted the BootCache.kext file and installed it. My bootup times suddenly came down as if I executed the fix stated in this thread. Go figure?

jimcpherson
Dec 30, 2003, 12:52 PM

From www.railheaddesign.com:

Mac OS X 10.3.2 Slow Startup Solution
If you�re one of the many Mac users experiencing a slower system startup after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.3.2, Apple has posted a fix that has corrected this problem for many users. To resolve the issue, just�

Launch Terminal
Type sudo cp -p /System/Library/Extensions/BootCache.kext/Contents/Resources/BootCacheControl /usr/sbin
Restart twice.

I did this and startup time went from 1:40 to 0:45. This is on a TiBook 1Ghz.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 30, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
[snip]

FWIW, I ran the "sudo rm /usr/sbin/BootCacheControl" and while it seemed to "take," I am not really sure as I can detect no noticable difference in start up times. Is there a way to check/verify that the sudo rm worked?
In a terminal window, type 'ls /usr/sbin' and hit Return. Look through the list that gets displayed and check to make sure that BootCacheControl isn't in the list.

FYI, rm == remove, as in delete the following file
sudo == execute command as root (which is why it asks for a password)

If you want to learn more about the commands you are typing into the window, do a 'man <command-name>' to learn what the command does. I personally would figure out what I was typing, otherwise someone could say "type 'sudo rm -rf /' for increased boot time! " and once you typed in your password, you'd be screwed.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 05:31 PM

PBG4 User, Thanks for the great advice. it's truly appreciated. Even from here I can see there is sound logic in your counsel. I have copied your your sageism...for those times when I need reminding.
Harv

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2003, 08:22 AM

These commands solve half the equation. Boot times are now back to fast. But from login to full desktop is still slow. On my machine, every startup item is undergoing a prebinding routine which slows things down. Don't know why. Forced prebinding does not solve the problem.
Yeah, exactly. . . To the usable state is almost as bad as XP just sitting around.

Anyone else?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2003, 12:26 PM

During the process of trying to implement the patch to cure the slow boot up, I managed to delete the BootCache file. I used Pacifist to extract this file from the original Panther install disk and my current system is running just fine. My question is, will this be a problem for me during the next Panther update?

Forum Links
Forum Rules