Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > POS-x Scanner giving different results in DL

POS-x Scanner giving different results in DL
rongallant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 06:55 PM

I just purchased DL and have to say I am a little perturbed. I have a POS-X scanner hooked up and I cannot get it working in DL. First, it forces me to click the UPC field, Fine. The worse part is that when I scan codes in DL the numbers are different than those in other apps like Text Edit and word procs. They show the correct UPC and I can scan 20 times and get the same results.

Scanner Specs: http://www.pos-x.com/downloads/Xi1000_v2.pdf

Example:
Scanned in Text Edit: 667068485325 (correct if pasted returns Prince of Egypt")
Scanned in DL: 668748503256 (incorrect "lookup failed")
This example is consistent and I can reproduce it every time.

Help $40 is allot if all I get is wasted disk space.

Thanks
( Last edited by rongallant; Jul 19, 2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Added Scanner link.)

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2007, 08:48 PM

USB scanner support is off and on. We've done some major architecture to improve support in the next version, but fret not, for hope is not lost.

Just scan your barcodes into a text file, one barcode per line, with the first line labelled as "ean" without the quotes. Then, just import the file with "Reload from Amazon" checked.

It's sort of a poor man's batch scanner, but it's a heck of a lot faster than having to click, tab, tab, tab, pull out hair, swear, kick dog repeat.

rongallant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2007, 04:14 PM

I am a little confused with what you mean by "support". I am sure you have more experience with scanners than I, however, if it just returns a test string as typed by a keyboard, and it supported by the simplest of os x apps that have no need to support it. I am a little lost as to why it doesn't just work with this app. I would understand if the device needed special drivers, or was not designed for output as a keyboard.

I tried doing the txt file but have mixed results with it adding duplicates even though it was not selected upon import. Is there a money back guarentee? Will I have to repurchase ver. 2?

Thanks

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2007, 01:39 AM

So the long, complicated, boring story is this: you don't want to have to create a new item and click on a text field to use a scanner, because that's a pain in the ass. What you want to do is simply scan, scan, scan and have Delicious Library create the items for you. In theory, this is what should happen.

One problem is that, in order for the keystrokes to be recognized, your scanner has to "hit enter" after every barcode. Some barcode scanners don't do this.

Then you think, maybe I need to create a new item and click on the text field and things get crazy because the keyboard events and the way text fields work causes a race condition between Delicious Library and AppKit, which can cause numbers to end up out of order and things like that.

Every scanner and every system is a little different. The road from a signal on the USB bus to a trapped and understood keyboard event is long and a lot more complicated than you might think.

The upshot is that some people have success just scanning and letting Delicious Library create the items. Some people have success creating the items themselves. Some people can't do either.

We've tried to fix this a bunch of times with the same ultimate results. Ultimately, we ended up doing something sufficiently extreme to necessitate pushing this into Delicious Library 2.

It's not that we don't care. It's that this problem is tricky. That's why I always advise people to use the demo mode in Delicious Library and keep the receipts for their scanners (depending on which you are starting with).

And, yes, if you write to us, we will give you your money back.

rongallant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2007, 04:51 PM

Will I have to pay for version two or is that another purchase? I would rather you guys out the money to good use. It's a much needed piece of software on the Mac.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2007, 04:58 PM

Delicious Library 2 will be a paid upgrade, but there will be a discount for current owners.

Forum Links
Forum Rules