Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 17)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 21, 2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The PS3 indeed uses a different type of RAM (XDR is a RAMBUS design trades off high bandwidth for its time for a stupidly low memory ceiling) and yes it is much older, but still - the PS3 launched and was beaten in raw processing power by the Geforce 8800 GTX that launched at about the same time. That was your 10 year system Sony?
I think you're nitpicking. Unless, of course, you don't understand how console hardware design works. How much was this fabled card at debut?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2011, 04:56 PM

With hardware becoming antiquated at its present rate, how can any company hope to sustain a console for ten years? I mean consistent, new releases for ten years. Anything that old will feel downright prehistoric.

I can say the lack of party chat on the PS3 is one of my longest-running and biggest complaints about the system. It's actually one of the only complaints I've had. I love the HD space, the Bluray drive, the exclusives, initial built-in WiFi, free online gaming, and even the interface. It wasn't until I played countless matches of CoD while in party chat on 360 that I fully realized what a nightmare it is to go without it.

P
Aug 21, 2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think you're nitpicking. Unless, of course, you don't understand how console hardware design works. How much was this fabled card at debut?
The exact same price as the PS3 at launch, as it happens - not that you can compare, as the 8800 GTX was sold with a huge margin for nVidia while Sony was taking a bath on the PS3. The point was that they were permitted to keep talking about the ten year system without anyone challenging them, when it was absurd on its face on launch day and absolutely ludicrous now half way in. Sony is worse at bullshitting than MS is at this point, and I don't understand how they keep getting away with it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2011, 06:26 PM

I don't think you can do a direct comparison because you are talking about a dedicated machine vs a computer. The requirements offset that I'd think. Looking at the length of the PS2 in the market though a 10 year history isn't exactly insane though. I think what happens is people ASSUME when they mean 10 years, is that they will have a 10 year gap between systems when in fact that has never been the case.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2011, 07:07 PM

The next Xbox and Playstation will come out before the current ones are 10. Xbox and 360 overlapped by a few years, the PS2 isn't officially dead yet. They will get cheaper and maybe smaller but something new will come before 2016.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I don't think you can do a direct comparison because you are talking about a dedicated machine vs a computer. The requirements offset that I'd think. Looking at the length of the PS2 in the market though a 10 year history isn't exactly insane though. I think what happens is people ASSUME when they mean 10 years, is that they will have a 10 year gap between systems when in fact that has never been the case.
That's exactly what they mean. Sony didn't lie, but they did let people speculate incorrectly about what it actually meant.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I can say the lack of party chat on the PS3 is one of my longest-running and biggest complaints about the system. It's actually one of the only complaints I've had. I love the HD space, the Bluray drive, the exclusives, initial built-in WiFi, free online gaming, and even the interface. It wasn't until I played countless matches of CoD while in party chat on 360 that I fully realized what a nightmare it is to go without it.
Or go back to MW2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2011, 10:51 AM

My favorite story from the weekend:
Sledgehammer Unlikely To Return To Action Call of Duty Title, 'Too Niche' - NowGamer
Modern Warfare 3 co-developer Sledgehammer Games President Glen Schofield has confirmed to NowGamer that the studio has no plans to return to its secretive 'action/adventure' Call of Duty project, saying it was "too niche".

Asked if Sledgehammer would return to the Call of Duty title it started before working on Modern Warfare 3, Schofield replied: "I don't think we'll go back to that one. The genre... it was really good, but it might be a bit niche. I don't know. We had something special there. We'll see. I've had a blast making a first-person shooter."
This is what happens when you sell your soul to Activision. I'm not sure in what world Action/Adventure is niche. The world of CoD dudebros, maybe.

The best part is him hedging on the entire explanation ("might be niche") while at the same time saying it's good. The game could be amazing, but I guarantee you if it wasn't FPS and look exactly like Modern Warfare the suits would never like it. They can only like that which they already know.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2011, 04:03 PM

$250 might have been enough after all: Report: UK PS3 sales spike after price drop

Proving once again that making something less expensive prompts more people to buy said thing, MCV is reporting that UK sales of the PlayStation 3 have spiked in the wake of its recent price drop. MCV doesn't offer specific numbers, though a source claimed that sales of the console have risen sixty-five percent in the last week.

With the game industry's holiday season set to kick into gear over the next two months, it seems likely that sales will continue to grow. Oh, and a quick note for all the new PS3 owners out there. Have you guys heard about this Uncharted thing? It's pretty slick.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2011, 04:07 PM

Give it more than a week. Let's see how it fares come the holidays, particularly if MS doesn't budge on price.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 22, 2011, 04:15 PM

Give it more than a week. Let's see how it fares come the holidays, particularly if MS doesn't budge on price.
I've honestly contemplated picking one up now that its $250, thats sad

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 22, 2011, 04:18 PM

Sad is I kept wanting the price to drop to $300, it finally did, and I felt completely uncompelled still.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2011, 05:00 PM

Zing.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2011, 11:02 PM

Question:

I'm going to pre-order Gears 3 on Amazon so I can get the $20 credit. Does my card get charged immediately or does it wait till release date to charge it?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2011, 11:09 PM

I felt that earthquake all the way over here! I thought that was much closer than it actually was. It's weird feeling the building sway under your feet! Of course we've had quite a few quakes in this region too, usually on the Quebec side.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 24, 2011, 08:24 AM

If you like/ever played/even heard about portal, you should check out this short film.
Portal: No Escape

Awesome.

EDIT: if this screen cap doesn't get your attention, you have no soul

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 24, 2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Question:

I'm going to pre-order Gears 3 on Amazon so I can get the $20 credit. Does my card get charged immediately or does it wait till release date to charge it?
You will be charged once it ships, usually a day or two before release (if you have release date delivery)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 11:45 AM

EA's Origin may be glorified Spyware, causes mass upset -Destructoid
The EULA says that EA can identify your computer, operating system, installed/uninstalled software/hardware, and use that information for marketing purposes while merrily sharing it with third party companies. It's all fairly disgusting, and there's no opt-out offer. If you don't want EA to know everything about you and pass the information along, your only recourse is to not install Origin -- which will mean you can't play Battlefield 3 on PC at all.
...and there's your real reason EA isn't on Steam.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2011, 11:48 AM

That's ****in' bulls#it!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
If you like/ever played/even heard about portal, you should check out this short film.
Portal: No Escape

Awesome.

EDIT: if this screen cap doesn't get your attention, you have no soul
Wow! That was pretty amazing!

And yes Bogues, I have a soul.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2011, 12:36 PM

Some SEGA news:

Game over man! Game over! SEGA trailer for Aliens: Colonel Maries

Rumor: Sonic CD to be showcased at PAX Prime for XBLA

NBA 2K12 all time greats
EA still hasn't announced when or if they're going to release NBA elite, and rightfully so since they have no chance of competing with 2K. 2K is smart to focus on the NBA greats with this year's release since the strike is going on. Bring on Run TMC!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
EA still hasn't announced when or if they're going to release NBA elite,
They announced it the late spring no Elite this year.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2011, 12:42 PM

Mortal Kombat: Arcade Kollection coming to XBLA next week.

800 M$ points for the Mortal Kombat, MK II, and Ultimate MK3. Will release on Aug. 31. Shit, I remember dumping mass loads of quarters on MK II. Should be a good pick up.

Konami needs to port over the Simpsons Arcade, then I'll be happy.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2011, 12:43 PM

They announced it the late spring no Elite this year.
Oh. Well I don't expect them to jump back into making an NBA game then for awhile.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 12:52 PM

F**kcing Activision/Blizzard needs to port over Lost Vikings, then I'll be happy.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 12:53 PM

EA's Origin may be glorified Spyware, causes mass upset -Destructoid

...and there's your real reason EA isn't on Steam.
My favorite comment from the article:

Oh man, I was so pumped to pay FULL PRICE for digital copies of games that I can't return, lend or sell to someone later on and play them with hundreds of other Origin users or by myself but having to be persistently online because of DRM.

Now you're telling me Origin uses Spyware? WTF!??! NO WAY EA! YOU ALMOST HAD ME!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 12:58 PM

I'm shocked Dakar has not posted this article yet...

More trash talk from EA. Call of Duty will be dead in 3 years.

As if to confirm everything Activision said about it last week, Electronic Arts is back with yet more petty sniping. After Eric Hirshberg last week said EA's mudslinging was bad for the industry, EA has retorted with mocking tones, claiming Call of Duty will die in three years.

"Welcome to the big leagues Eric," said EA corporate communications chief Jeff Brown. "I know you're new in the job but someone should have told you this is a competitive industry.

"You've got every reason to be nervous. Last year Activision had a 90% share in the shooter category. This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70. At that rate, you'll be out of the category in 2-3 years. If you don't believe me, go to the store and try to buy a copy of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 01:01 PM

Like I said, it's going to be rough, my busy season looks to be epic this year.

One of the commenters also nailed it on, "How's Rock Band & Skate doing?"

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
My favorite comment from the article:
I got a chuckle out of that one.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 01:51 PM

I swear the only news the industry puts out between E3 and Fall releases in negative.
GameSpy: Exclusive: GameStop Pulled, Discarded Free OnLive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coupons - Page 1
Yesterday cloud gaming company OnLive and publisher Square Enix announced a Deus Ex: Human Revolution launch promotion that included a free OnLive version of the game with all PC retail copies. However, mega retailer GameStop did not want to take part in the promo and took steps to make sure its customers wouldn't either.

We received reports from a handful of GameStop customers claiming that their new PC boxed copies of DXHR were opened and the OnLive codes were missing. We also received evidence from an anonymous tipster suggesting that it was GameStop management that made the decision to physcially remove the OnLive codes from its PC copies of the game.
We then contacted GameStop public relations representative Beth Sharum. In an email reply, Sharum said she needed to further research the issue before providing a detailed response. However, she did confirm GameStop intentionally removed the OnLive coupons:

"Square Enix packed the competitor's coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull and discard these coupons," Sharum said.
GameStop pulls similar shit and gets away with it, but I've got to imagine this is illegal. They're opening product, removing (what I imagine is a labelled) pack in, and then selling the opened copy as new.

So glad I gave them the finger years ago.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2011, 03:00 PM

Aargh, just posted the Portal film in the Portal 2 thread because I went there first. Nevermind, its still brilliant (full screen 1080p is recommended)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Aargh, just posted the Portal film in the Portal 2 thread because I went there first. Nevermind, its still brilliant (full screen 1080p is recommended)
Bah, if anything you were right-er.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 04:04 PM

I agree. That Bogues can't do anything right.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 04:10 PM

I agree. That Bogues can't do anything right.
He still hasn't showed his face in the Halo thread.

---

I find it interesting that kotaku, joystiq and ars haven't picked up the Origins story yet.

Edit:

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 04:52 PM

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION
i.e., go **** yourself.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 24, 2011, 05:27 PM

Bah, if anything you were right-er.
Your only saying that because it was me that posted it. Ha
I figured this thread had more exposure while most would not troll the portal thread but may still be interested.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2011, 05:31 PM

I didn't know who posted it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 07:00 PM

Last year Activision had a 90% share in the shooter category. This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70. At that rate, you'll be out of the category in 2-3 years.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 09:31 PM

GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code. Un-fncking-believable. What an arrogant league of criminals these people are.

Rumor
Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 PM

I swear the only news the industry puts out between E3 and Fall releases in negative.
GameSpy: Exclusive: GameStop Pulled, Discarded Free OnLive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coupons - Page 1

GameStop pulls similar shit and gets away with it, but I've got to imagine this is illegal. They're opening product, removing (what I imagine is a labelled) pack in, and then selling the opened copy as new.

So glad I gave them the finger years ago.
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code. Un-fncking-believable. What an arrogant league of criminals these people are.
I don't shop there anymore either. I almost exclusively buy titles through Gamefly.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2011, 10:24 PM

Yeah f**k GameStop. I buy all my games through Amazon now.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 25, 2011, 09:15 AM

Dakar basically converted me to Amazon only purchases, with gaming credits, release day delivery, and better trade in prices, i have zero desire to look to gamestop for anything.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 09:32 AM

Sever's down, so a proper news post:

Worthplaying | GameStop Confirms Stores Directed to Pull 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution' OnLive Activation Codes
"As part of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon. GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies.

Square Enix invites gamers who want to purchase the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without additional coupons to buy the game at any one of over 4000 GameStop stores in North America or purchase a digital download copy online from www.gamestop.com."
Burn.

GameStop pulls Deus Ex: Human Revolution PC versions from shelves | Joystiq
GameStop has apparently sent another message out to its retail locations, this time asking all of its stores to pull any PC copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution from shelves, and place them in the backroom, eventually to be returned to publisher Square Enix. The email was sent after this afternoon's news that GameStop had directed its employees to pull coupons out of the boxes that offered free access to the OnLive cloud gaming service.
...and that's the "professional" way to do it. Don't care for the pack in, don't sell the game.

Microsoft demands simultaneous multiplatform releases - Edge Magazine
Microsoft's content submission and release policy reads: "Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other videogame platforms, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with other platform versions in all regions where the title is available.

"If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."
I'm not big on the timed exclusivity thing, but as far as feature parity is concerned, hell yes. (Too bad they haven't vetoed any titles based on that seeing as all the bullshit SOny has been throwing into their games)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Dakar basically converted me to Amazon only purchases, with gaming credits, release day delivery, and better trade in prices, i have zero desire to look to gamestop for anything.
Part of me wonders why this business practice should be the straw the broke the camel's back, but whatever.

I was thinking, I bought my hardware from GameStop, and then nothing else ever. That's like the worst case scenario for them, right?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 25, 2011, 09:40 AM

Part of me wonders why this business practice should be the straw the broke the camel's back, but whatever.

I was thinking, I bought my hardware from GameStop, and then nothing else ever. That's like the worst case scenario for them, right?
Absolutely, with all the costs associated with getting the console on the shelf, the markup is minimal, there is almost zero profit in console sales.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Aug 25, 2011, 09:47 AM

I know almost a year ago i posted the Part 1 of this video but Part 2 just got released

If you've never watched Part 1 of "Escape From City 17" it is a fantastic Half-Life fan short film, and Part 2 is even better.

Escape From City 17 - Part 2

Part 1 if you missed it...
Escape from City 17 - Part 1

I'm sure someone will recommend a better thread to post this in, a quick search didn't turn up where i posted the first one.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2011, 03:43 PM

EA has apparently figured out how stay on the PR gravy train.
Forza Motorsport - Forza Motorsport 4: Under the Hood Part 1
While Forza Motorsport 4 will feature RUF, it will not include Porsche cars. As many of you know, since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA. In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again.

We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

In our business, we stay friendly with all of the manufacturers and licensors necessary to deliver players rich and innovative automotive experiences. As you’d expect, this includes quite a few key people in Porsche circles. To make sure we tried everything, we consulted with these advocates and were happy to find they were already aware of the situation and lobbying from within on behalf of Forza 4--and, despite the result, we thank them for their efforts.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2011, 05:12 PM

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2011, 11:34 PM

Official trailer for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

It's confirmed via the trailer that de_dust, de_dust2, de_aztec and cs_italy are in the game! Awesome!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 29, 2011, 01:17 PM

EAs contractual article today.
Xbox News: What separates Battlefield from Call of Duty? "It's fun to lose" - DICE - Official Xbox 360 Magazine
"If it's not fun when you lose, then you only have 50 per cent of the players enjoying the game. If it's fun to lose, though, then you can end up last in the scoreboard and still feel like it was a great round."
Battlefield – It's fun to lose! (Also, you'll be having a ton of fun)

Commenting more broadly on the split between shooters, Bach termed Battlefield a "gourmet meal" to Call of Duty's "hotdog". We're struggling to keep track of all these food analogies. Rage is steak, in case you'd forgotten, and Duke Nukem Forever is a big greasy hamburger.

Gears of War 3 gets $30 'season pass,' first DLC in November | Joystiq
The season pass will cover the "first four" installments of DLC, which will be released over the next year, with the first planned for November. No word yet if there will be more beyond that to squeeze from, er, generously discount to Gears fans.
That is an obnoxious price. Pay up front half the price of a new game for DLC? Jesus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules