Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Help someone please... Can't see my own website !

Help someone please... Can't see my own website !
leon2003
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 12:00 PM

I just can't see my website. But other people can, either on mac or Windows...

I just get that "under construction page" . Same results on my wifes laptop. (we share the same connection)

http://www.travel-unlimited.net/

I just don't understand what' sgoing on. I tried IE, Safari, IE, I emptied the cache, history etc... Someone told me about DNS Cache but I don't know what it is...

My programmer does not talk Mac but Windows only...

If anyone has a clue... It is so frustrating

Thanks in advance

leon

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 02:30 PM

If your wife's laptop is carrying(!) Windows, there's nothing wrong with your Mac.
Open Terminal.app and do a 'dig www.leon2003swebsite.com' and check if its IP is the same as outside your network (you'll need a friend on the outside...).

If the IP's are different, you have a DNS problem. Wait it out or get someone to fix it.
If the IP's are the same, you have a REAL problem... :>

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 02:52 PM

Looks fine here. Except for the 火 motif. Unless you have a really good reason for including that Kanji, I suggest you get rid of it. It makes you look like you're another wannabe who thinks "Asian characters" are "cool."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 03:53 PM

Sounds like something you'd want to talk to your ISP about.

Oh, and what wataru said about the Chinese. What's fire got to do with travel?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

leon2003  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 07:17 PM

1. Sorry I don't understand the terminal command, can't manage to write it properly...
Sorry I'm quite thick with comp. My wife's is a Mac too.
Have you heard about "DNS cache"... Seems that browsers also store this kind of things...

2. Thisis not a kanji since it's not japanese... and it is not "fire" but "earth" (4th tone if I remember well ). I know you want to help also on graphics. Create me a logo and I'll pay you (well a bit).

Leon

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 02:50 AM

That character is fire, though...
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 02:54 AM

I will concede that the registration info states Singapore, but still...

leon2003  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 03:50 AM

all right, whatever....
Thanks for your concern and translations.

Does someone has an idea why... I can't access the site?
What is this ip issue? How can i do this terminal opp?

Thanks for your constructive answers...
leon

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 23, 2005, 04:17 AM

Haha, sorry. I really don't have any idea about why you can't access it, other than a DNS issue as was stated earlier.

To try the action suggested, open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type dig www.travel-unlimited.net . It should give you an IP address like so:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.travel-unlimited.net. 16399 IN CNAME travel-unlimited.net.
travel-unlimited.net. 16400 IN A 66.152.98.209

Which means that www.travel-unlimited.net is an alias for travel-unlimited.net, and that ravel-unlimited.net resolves to 66.152.98.209. See if this is the same on a your computer and another.

Thinking a bit more, it could be something else; what's the exact error message you receive?

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by leon2003
2. Thisis not a kanji since it's not japanese... and it is not "fire" but "earth" (4th tone if I remember well ). I know you want to help also on graphics. Create me a logo and I'll pay you (well a bit).
I have to idea what the character means, so if I'm your target group, don't worry :>

Odd anyway. I'd save the logo and redesign the rest to go with it...
Rest of the background in the same orange. No white background of the map. Continents black. Redesign the menu, black AND white text on the same orange background a s o. Something like

leon2003  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 06:06 AM

Thanks a bunch Wevah,really...

here is the answer
;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.travel-unlimited.net. 19440 IN CNAME travel-unlimited.net.
travel-unlimited.net. 19440 IN A 66.152.98.209

which is slightly different isn't it ?

the exact message is the 'page under construction" from yahoo (where i registered the domain name)... as if yahoo hadn't understood the DNS change (clean, no prob on that)...

The mystery is still on....

What else could it be?
Regards
Leon

leon2003  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 08:57 PM

another friend tried and it gives
19903 in CNAME travel-etc
19903 in a 66.152.98.209

dns servers are allright.

are this two series difference inportant? 19903/19440?

Regards
Leon

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by leon2003
Thisis not a kanji since it's not japanese... and it is not "fire" but "earth" (4th tone if I remember well ). I know you want to help also on graphics. Create me a logo and I'll pay you (well a bit).
My Chinese is a little rusty, but it's definitely "fire" in Japanese and was originally in Chinese. And every dictionary I can find says so too. It's huo3.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

leon2003  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 12:07 AM

It was a DNS cahe problem.

For those who might know it, just
utilities>terminal>type
lookupd -flushcache

next morning it works.

Chuckit; Regarding the "kanji" .
I looked in many dictionnaries, I asked chinese friends (whose mandarine isn't rusty) and it can be "fire" for you, I couldn't care less. Any remark on the design, unless conctructive as cla's proposal, were and remain out of the topic. Had it come with a solution, I would have considered it more carefully. But as often, some loose their own precious time in a strange fashion.

For all others thanks for your remarks and help.

Leon

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 24, 2005, 07:49 AM

If he says it's 'fire' then it is 'fire'. If you wanted 'earth' that is another matter. Do you really want your design to express "Burn the Planet"?

Because that is what it says to many ASIANS. Are they your target market? If so, they may get a laugh out of it... I'm not so sure that's your desire though. I would hope not.

Yes, designs should mean something... and as a business person, you should strive to insult as few people as possible.

EDIT:

I just have to comment on your site. It looks like a 14 year-old just hacked it and placed some horrid looking graphics in place. The layout is terrible, and I can't see anyone wanting to pay you for any services. It's that bad.

leon2003  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2005, 09:40 AM

Budster, I can't see why you get involved in this.
I don't need your comments, especially if you don't say anything interesting but just criticize in the most insulting manner - just to give a feedback on the way I receive your post.
Besides, even if your comments intend to be helpful - what I doubt- they sound much too much as a lesson from a teacher i just don't know. Not having a clue on my goals, why do you care?

To cut all this:
- I never asked you anything but a technical advice you didn't give. I waited for you on that and nothing else. Being last when the problem is solved does not put you in the best position, don't you think?
- Just ignore me and stop losing your time.

Answer useless.

Regards
Leon

GeeYouEye
Sep 25, 2005, 10:01 PM

reset whatever modem/router/you use to connect to the Internet.

And according to the translation widget, it's fire in Japanese and both forms of Chinese.
I bring order to chaos. You are in chaos windows, you are the contradiction, a bug wishing to be an OS.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 12:36 PM

There is no way that that character is anything but "fire" in any language that uses Kanji. (And since there is no way to know that the character is intended to be Chinese instead of Japanese, I feel justified in calling it a Kanji, not a Hanzi. But I doubt you even knew what they were called in Chinese anyway.) "Earth" is 地, which is indeed 4th tone in Mandarin.

I'm sorry, but you are another wannabe who thinks "Asian characters" are "cool." Please save yourself the embarrassment and just remove the character.

Forum Links
Forum Rules