Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Are there a lot of issues with the final 15" PB?

Are there a lot of issues with the final 15" PB?
Heavy
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 02:38 PM

Was it the best (fastest and most stable) version of the 15's or not? I read about some screen problems and HD problems but not sure which versions those apply.

PurpleRabbit73
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 02:59 PM

I thought they stopped accepted orders for the PB 15" (on apple at least) Maybe because of these issues?? Or are the Pb's just gradually dying away...

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 03:06 PM

Discontinued in Jan. I think MBP took over for that niche. But stores still have inventory.

I like some of the features over the MBP. Only downside is the speed compared to the MBP. Other than that i prefer the PB's specs. Just want to know about that last version's reliability.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2006, 05:34 PM

The screens were the sore point... every other row of pixels on the display had a different brightness.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 05:35 PM

The generation before the last one seems to be the most stable and issue-free. The last generation was plagued by defective screens (100% of them), sound issues and battery issues. Unless you can inspect what you're getting, I'd stay away from them.

glhart
Mar 9, 2006, 06:09 PM

The screen has some issues for graphic artists -- some graphics generate moving lines and the like. Frankly, this has never bothered me in the slightest -- the only time I have noticed it is when I downloaded a graphic specifically designed to show it. Otherwise, looking at photos, it's a non-issue for me. The big advantage is 1. the screen is brighter than the previous version and 2. it's higher res. BUT yesterday, I compared the screen to the MBP -- the Powerbook was dim compared to the new MBP screen. So unless you really need classic or 800 firewire or a modem, I'd go with a MacBook. Of course, if you get a Powerbook for significantly less, it's still a wonderful machine.

brahms117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by pete
The generation before the last one seems to be the most stable and issue-free. The last generation was plagued by defective screens (100% of them), sound issues and battery issues. Unless you can inspect what you're getting, I'd stay away from them.
I was sort of forced into getting a 1.67 15" (with upgraded 7200 rpm drive) to replace a dead 667 Ti, just a week before Apple stopped selling them. I don't see any problem with my screen -- is the '100%' figure tongue-in-cheek or do I need to look more closely? I wasn't happy about parting with $2800 at this particular time but so far I'm completely satisfied with it...

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 07:46 PM

Well, as long as you don't notice anything, there is nothing to worry about. They all have horizontal lines, but not everybody is bothered by them. I returned two of them to amazon because of horizontal lines, dead battery, a largish dent in the aliuminum and something else I forgot now....

So: DON'T look more closely unless you want to send it in to Apple for an LCD replacement. Apparently, they are replacing LCDs now with new ones that do not exhibit the line issue. It's only an issue if you notice it. If you don't, then you're fine.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2006, 11:00 PM

Interesting... We have about 20 1.5 and 1.67 ghz powerbooks at work... Does anyone have the link to the graphics file used to test for the horizontal line issue?

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 12:55 AM

Thanks guys, you helped me make my mind up. Finally. While I wanted to hear good things, so I can get the PB right now. I think I'll get a new intel model. I've been going back and forth on this MBP vs. PB. I didn't know there were that many issues. I'm going for one of the new intel designs. Hopefully the small screen will come out. That's what I really want.

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 01:26 AM

Screen issue was a major problem, it would ruin the look of movies and photo's making it unpleasant for more than just graphic designers.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
Interesting... We have about 20 1.5 and 1.67 ghz powerbooks at work... Does anyone have the link to the graphics file used to test for the horizontal line issue?

It's only the last generation of Powerbooks that are affected - the ones that have the higher resolution display. The generation before that were fine.

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 08:46 AM

That's right, that second last revision of the powerbooks was pretty much flawless. Unfortunately with MBP there is a noise issue and last revision of powerbooks a screen issue *mumbles something about apples quality control*

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 09:04 AM

I have the last revision of the 1.67 PB and am curious to see if I have the line issue when running the graphic that was mentioned. I just don't see it under normal use--but does anyone know the link? Thanks!

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 10:38 AM

What's the noise issue with the MBP? I've read about excessive heat with them.

Also, how can you tell which generation 1.67ghz PB it is? I imagine all the stock left in the stores is the high res version.

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 12:05 PM

There's a loud hiss/whine, well loud, varies in volume depending on unit it seems...

john h
Mar 10, 2006, 12:50 PM

CompUSA in Little Rock has 6 15" Ti 1.67 PB's in stock. They have not discounted them one penny and they sit next to the new Intel models selling for about the same amount????

Morn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2006, 07:38 AM

Somebody who needs photoshop may just pay the same price.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 11:43 AM

I have the latest revision of the Powerbook, I have no problems with it whatsoever . The screen seems fine to me, what do these "lines" on the screen look like?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2006, 01:24 PM

My 15" (last revision) is like a dream. I've been lucky and haven't had the issues others have mentioned, or I'm simply oblivious to them.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 03:03 PM

SOME, maybe MOST of the 1.67GHz 15", dual-layer PowerBooks have screen issues. I say this, because mine DOES NOT exhibit any of the screen issue on a large scale, unless you're 6 inches away.

Everyone I've asked to look—designers, artists as well—can NOT see it unless they practically have their nose pressed up against it. Just trying to clarify not ALL of the 15" PowerBooks have this issue that severely. At least, for my machine.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 03:10 PM

I think it's not too severe, but I definitely noticed it and one of the books gave me a headache because of a very subtle flickering that was really hardly noticable unless you sat in front of the LCD for a longer period. If you have one, I'd still recommend letting apple change the display to the newer model that doesn't exhibit the lines.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Morn
Somebody who needs photoshop may just pay the same price.
Yup, I sold my 1.67 to a Photoshop user...
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2006, 11:23 AM

Is it true that the new macbookpros have super bright screens or is that just an overblown fact?
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2006, 01:09 PM

I read reviews that they are real bright like Apple's top of the line cinema screens.

They meant it in a positive way of course. I only saw the powerbooks at that looked fine. I wouldn't want it any brighter.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2006, 02:15 PM

I've seen the MBP's screen, it's a little too bright for me. But you could always turn down the brightness.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2006, 02:31 PM

It really is very bright but that, to me, is wonderful! Finally a laptop which is the equivalent or near-equivalen of the gorgeous desktop cinema displays. Can't believe it took this long.

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2006, 01:11 AM

That's great to know! Screens are very important, the ibook screens seem to dull after long usage..that's what I've noticed.
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

john h
Mar 13, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mactopsuit
Is it true that the new macbookpros have super bright screens or is that just an overblown fact?
I just read an article in Macworld or MacAddict that in test they conducted the brightness was considerable brighter in the Macbook Pros. About the same brightness as in the Apple Monitors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules