Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Connecting PC to OS X Server error

Connecting PC to OS X Server error
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2011, 12:07 PM

Struggling with this. All MAcs connect to X Serve perfectly but office ePC will not. If I hit the server IP address from windows I get a connection error on all user accounts, while the Macs are fine. I can see the PC hitting the server in the smb service logs but get this error message:

no dsRecTypeStandard:Users record for account....

If I connect a Mac via smb I can connect using the admin account but user account won't connect either.

Am I missing a link between the user accounts and the smb service?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 02:27 PM

Firstly what version of Windows are you using?

I assume you have double checked that SMB is an enabled protocol on all the relevant sharepoints?

Does it behave the same way if you use \\X.X.X.X\Sharepointname ?

Does Windows get as far as asking for credentials? Does it return and error or just keep asking for login credentials over and over?
Snow Leopard Server can restrict access to individual services for individual users.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2011, 02:54 PM

Windows 7

Yes smb is enabled on the required share point

Yes. Going in through \\serveripaddress\sharepointname still shows the PC hitting the smb service but generating the same error

It generates an error message:

(img tags not working for some reason. link to image:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...screenshot.jpg

I've checked the individual service settings and smb is enabled for all users in the all staff group.

Thanks for the help so far.
( Last edited by Doc HM; Jul 14, 2011 at 03:02 PM. )
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2011, 03:21 PM

I had a similar issue with Vista earlier.

Go into control panel > administrative tools
Click on local security policy, expand local policy on the left pane. Click security options, then in the right pane near the bottom click on network security: LAN manager authentication. From the drop down click Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated. Click OK. Reboot.

Some versions may not have this local security option under admin tools (Win7 Home maybe, thats how it is with Vista). If yours doesn't try this method instead:

Fire up regedit, then go into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
Right click LmCompatibilityLevel and choose modify. Set the value to 1 and reboot. I was able to happily connect after that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules